WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So been looking at some new sunglasses to replace a pair of 4 yr old Ray Bans that I squished and was wondering between Persol and Maui which would be the brand you would go for...

Here are the Persols I am considering:

And here are the Maui Jims I have been looking at:

I have read both brands are good but the cost of the persols is a little less and the maui jims seem hit or miss on fit.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Persol all the way, make sure you get a pair with polarized lenses, better sun protection for the eyes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Persol all the way, make sure you get a pair with polarized lenses, better sun protection for the eyes.
But harder to read things like smartphones...

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
But harder to read things like smartphones...
Agreed, happens to me often when i take a quick glance at my iPhone to check missed calls or so, but then again i don't spend the whole day staring at my cell.

Reactions: Rotosphere

·
Registered
461 Posts
If it were me, I'd go with the Persols. There's just something about them I prefer.

And on the topic of polarisation, yes, it does make some things a bit harder, but I don't think I could go back to regular sunglasses now, especially in high-glare environments.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks all, I think I am going to go with the 3rd one down, liked the persol but seemed a little to formal for me and their after sales service should something goes wrong seems hit or miss wheras Maui is reportedly pretty good at this

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Depends on use. Maui's as far as I understand are one of the only brands certified to stand up to Chlorine and salt water....I live near the ocean and have a pool, so it was an easy choice for me...Maui.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had one pair of Persol for over 35 years. I've tried Mauis. Good glasses. Persol still are the ones I use.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I love Maui Jims! I'm surprised there isn't more love for the brand.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Persol of course.

I wear a pair of Persols for driving, and Prada aviators for flying. The pradas probably have the best lenses I've ever found for cockpit use though.

But out and about, persol baby

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have a pair of Maui's and really like them. However, I recently got a pair of American Optics Original aviators and really like them. Much cheaper compared to the 2 brands that you mentioned.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Probably comes down to fashion versus function. I have both. My Persols are pre-Luxottica. Nice glasses, so-so lenses. I've got several pair of Mauis. My most recent are the Keanus in the OP's post (silver frame). Great lenses, great fit, and pretty fashionable as well, IMHO.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Maui Jim all day everyday. I'm not a big fan of Luxotica, which makes Persol. With Maui, you get killer customer service and warranty should something go wrong as well as supporting an independent company.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'll vote for Maui Jim. I have no first hand experience with Persol and like some of their styles quite well (and have been tempted on more than one occasion) but I've been wearing Maui Jim since I bought a pair at a base exchange in Okinawa back in 1998 or 1999. My main pair has served me well on 6 continents and in "every clime and place". I wore them for countless hours on Navy flight decks and aboard many smaller LCACs and LCUs where glare and reflection off of the water is a major concern and I credit them with helping to keep my vision in great shape. My Maui Jim Big Kahunas have literally been around the world.

I finally bought a second pair just a couple of years ago because I wanted to switch up the styles a bit.

·
Registered
572 Posts
My Maui Jim's suffer from poor balance. I love the quality of the lenses but the glasses do not rest on my head or collar reliably. The weight makes them want to fall. Even wearing them, I worry about leaning too far forward. My Ray Bans and Serengeti's are far easier to wear. For balance issues only, I lean toward Persol.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts