WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I want to share my personal experience with this Omega Constellation. There are quite a number of iterations of these Constellations, from the old vintage fluted bezel, c-shaped cases, pie pan dials, up until the newest one, you have manhattan, double eagle, globemaster, etc you name it. The Constellation line has been one of the most confusing line that Omega has ever built. I think, any brand, ever built. Not only it’s so diverse in it’s shape, it comes at a vast array of sizes, models, materials, and whatnot. When you hit google Omega Constellation, you you will be presented with pictures of so many variations you get lost on what you were trying to look for in the first place.

E45DD86D-855F-4E3A-83CE-1832C2C65805.jpeg

This one, is mostly known as the Constellation Double Eagle, but I guess you can search by other keywords using it’s size and movement type. Or it is also named Ref 123.10.35.60.02.001. There is some sense to Omega’s ref number, you can search for it online, but I don’t see the use of having a ref number so long like your ID number. My passport number is half that, and I can’t even remember it even if my life depended on it. I bough this watch a few months back, almost new condition, full set box and papers, for about 1050 USD.

EB5FBBC3-0620-4C13-B6BE-657B3FB5CA0F.jpeg

Let me start off with the elephant in the room. This watch is quartz. Quite an expensive one at that too. But I will not discuss about why is it cheap or expensive, I will explain why I chose quartz. Having several automatic watches, I find there are days that I don’t rotate my watches, and I’m not a watch winder person. So mostly they sit in my safe and having not being worn after a week or two, they stopped moving. Then there are days when you just want to go quickly and don’t feel like setting the date or time, quartz watches is the way to go. Sure they have a life span on the batteries, but it lasts you at least for 2 years or so before you need a change. Better yet, you can find a time after a year or two, whenever not busy, to just replace the batter that will cost you what $10? You can regulate it every several years or so, and wouldn’t cost much. From what I know, they even change the whole movement after some period of time, because it’s cheaper that way. You get a new movement every some 5-7 years I guess.

Another thing why I chose quartz, it’s the thickness - or lack of. Quartz watches due to not having too many gears and winding rotor, it makes the movement much thinner, and to me, it’s much more comfortable to wear. Sure it doesn’t have the fancy mechanical stuffs inside, but it does it’s job, and it does it well too. The only drawback for me, is the deadbeat seconds hand, I would prefer them to omit it and have a 2 hander instead, so it doesn’t look like a quartz watch.

6EF5A16C-A307-4DC8-B1D0-ED84A4A77CFA.jpeg

The case is 35mm wide (circle diameter), but due to the shape, and integrated links, the watch wears and feels much larger than it should. It feels more like a 37mm to me, or close to a 38mm. As you can see, the dial is silver with a sunburst effect, with brushed finishing all over, expect for the two “claws” on the sides. What I really fancy about this dial is, the sunburst pattern. You can see that it doesn’t follow the conventional sunburst that spreads from the centre of the dial, but this one, spreads out from the star constellation logo at 6. It gives a very unusual pattern and glow as light plays with it. It’s really intriguing. The applied indices and logo also adds a touch of elegance on the dial, makes it quite dressy. But the overall brushing tones it down. I’m indifferent about the date at 3, it’s useful, but I can also live without it, maybe making the dial more symmetrical. But I already have my OP39 for that, so I wouldn’t bother too much. The hour indices is also an interesting feature, you can see that is has unique circular angled polish on it. Very interesting. Another bonus for the quartz version is also a cleaner dial. It doesn’t have that co-axial writing and automatic or whatever.

6691FA4B-4A22-4455-BCB8-1814BB6E9D67.jpeg

The watch also has integrated links, meaning you can’t swap it out for a generic strap. You can however, change it to a strap, but I think you need to go to Omega and order a special one, and have them fitted for you. I personally wouldn’t bother with it, I have other watches to fit my straps with. But yes, it can be done should you wish so, but you can’t do it yourself. You can see that the integrated links are very nicely finished, it has alternate brushing on the main links, and high polished on it’s angles. It’s really nice, the finishing work is also very very nice. You can see the fine grain of the brushing and it plays with the light subtlely. The finishing on this watch really makes it a very verstile piece, while you can definitely wear this with a suit, but you wouldn’t mind wearing it with a polo and shorts either. I think it’s very nice. The links wear very well, and because there are no microadjustments, getting the best fit is a bit tricky here. You have to try it on yourself and see if it fits you well.

1143EEF8-DAB6-47C9-AE26-9793F8ED776C.jpeg

Caseback is screwed with bolts, which is not too water resistant compared to other watches, but I think it goes 50-100 meters, good enough for pool and beaches which is as wet as I would go. I don’t dive, and even if I do, I wouldn’t be wearing this watch. There is a nice engraving of the Omega Constellation logo there, which gives a nice and vintage throwback to the older pieces of the constallations. There is nothing else of note that is interesting for me in the back, but I think it’s finished decently.

E2B1E7E0-B1B1-4844-B0D8-408C4A0222ED.jpeg

The claws on the sides are a very divisive design. Some like it, some hate it. I’m in neither, hahaha. I think it’s breaks up a nicely brushed finish, and I wouldn’t mind if they take it out, but I think it will be quite plain without it. And it has been an iconic design that if I’m not mistaken, was design by Genta, and so does have some quirky bits into it. This is probably as close as a Royal Oak or Nautilus as Omega can get. Sure it’s not one, and it’s not trying to be, but the design language is so unique, so bold, you wouldn’t mistake this for any other watches, just like when you see an AP or Nautilus, you know what it is. It’s a strong statement from Omega, and keeping this line alive is probably like an identity to them as well. Believe it or not, these watches are actually quite popular in the Asian part of the world.

376A5336-AAA9-4319-B955-B8E4ADCFBE7C.jpeg
608CBBAE-9A0C-46AF-AF08-598D7F0C95A8.jpeg

On my 16.5cm oval shaped wrist, it wears very very well. But it does wear slightly looser than I would have liked, but I don’t mind. I prefer to have breathing room for my wrist rather than having it choked. It appears larger than it should, and the integrated links makes it a classy watch to wear. Looking down on a full silver watch like this is quite entertaining. And it feels larger than wearing a rolex 36mm datejust IMHO. It’s a nice watch to take with you on almost any occassions, and due to it’s quartz nature, it shouldn’t be a bother to you either when you are lazy to set it.

It’s a very unique piece that many people love to hate. And I can see why. The design is not for everyone, and I think it’s an acquired taste. I have always like the older versions, but I felt it’s a bit too “skinny” for me. While the newer ones adds some buik to it, I wouldn’t say it’s thicker, but it looks chunker on almost all aspects that it gives more presence to the watch. And I like that. Also add to the silver dial finish that’s not available on the older models, this is just a winner for me.

Getting it for a very affordable price, makes it a huge bonus.

When you are looking for a first luxury watch, especially preowned, I can highly recommend this one on the top of my list. It comes from a very reputable brand, great price, no fuss movement, and it looks 3-4 times its price. Really a watch that you can’t go wrong it. But of course, as I said before, not everyone fancy the model. I do. It’s one of Genta’s design and it makes it just as interesting, and quirky.

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
Thanks for posting. Enjoy wearing your fantastic Omega that ticks a specific box or several boxes for you.

Nigel

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is how it compares to my op39. Despite 4mm smaller, it doesnt really look like it.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting. Enjoy wearing your fantastic Omega that ticks a specific box or several boxes for you.

Nigel
Thanks, it does tick some boxes that wasnt ticked by my other watches for sure!

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
That’s a great looking watch. I have not seen this model before, so thanks for sharing your review.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pleasure is mine. This model is quite unpopular among the western countries. So I’m not surprised you have not seen one before.

That’s a great looking watch. I have not seen this model before, so thanks for sharing your review.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts