WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So having the lockdown, and only working half of my workdays, I have plenty of time to do my other hobby - watches. Lately I have been able to buy and sell for a profit, or at least sell at cost, of numerous watches, and I get to enjoy wearing them for a week or two before putting them out for sale. Some became keepers, of course, like this one. I sold my other smaller constellation instead (35mm Quartz).

The Omega Constellation as I said before, is one of the most confusing - and diverse line of Omega. They come in various shapes and sizes, and well, if you google Constellation, you might not know what you are actually looking at. Ranging from vintage piepan pieces, some with different lug shapes, case thickness, then comes the manhattan, and double eagle, and all the way to globemasters, are part the Constellation line-up.

I find that it is troublesome, and the watch kind of loses it’s “identity”, well - not actually lose, it doesn’t have one.

The Double Eagle Constellation is VERY UNPOPULAR in the western countries, but less so in Asia. It is heavily advertised with high class actors and actresses, artists, and etc. They are considered one of the best sellers in Asian countries. While opinions could not be more different, where most western countries consider them hideous, the other side of the world considered this one of the best models in the sporty/elegant line up from Omega.

Coming at 38mm, I find the watch actually wears larger than it should. Depsite having a smaller sized dial, the overall case and integrated bracelet, makes the watch somewhat “chunky”. However, my model is the two-tone gold and steel, making the dial appear larger than steel models, because the bezel is gold like my dial, making the dial to be extended to the outer rings of the bezel.

I personally have always liked this model, and I really find it one of the bang for your buck watch, especially in the pre-owned market. I got mine for around 1800 USD with box and papers, in mint condition. Prices may vary here and there, but due to the lack of popularity, you may find this as a bargain.

As mentioned before, the watch comes with an integrated bracelet. The bracelet is horizontally brushed, with gold piping that serves as it’s hinges, and I find that this watch looks very retro compared to other offerings, and I must say there is no bracelet like it. The horizontal brushing is very nice, very satinized, and looks to be pretty resistant to scratches. Afterall, this watch was discontinued at 2010 at least, and was replaced with a slightly different model with a different shape date window.

The pipings are solid 18k gold, and is secured with a friction pin. Changing it is actually not as hard as the newer models, as it has less pieces. It’s hard for me to explain this, but the model after this, has an extra piece that needs to be taken on and off when replacing links.

While the bracelet won’t win awards, but it is very comfortable, and has a nice solid heft to it. It also doesn’t pull any hairs despite it’s very tight, and it curves nicely around the wrist. Speaking about curves, I really like how the bracelet tapers, you can see that it actually curves smaller on each link, Omega doesn’t take the easy way out just by making a straight line, but they curved it instead, making it alot nicer.

In addition, the top case - where the bracelet connects, has an alternate horizontal brush facet finishing (pardon the smudge), that gives the illusion that the bracelet extends to the edge of the bezel. Small, but difficult to process, and very thoughtful.

The top case, and the dial, has a myriad of very different brush and polishing. I find that it is very complicated, intricate, and very pleasing to look at. Say what you will regarding the model, but I am sure we have to agree that the degree of process and finishing and thought of the top case including the dial, is exceptional.

Lets start with the dial, the dial has deep sunburst pattern, mine comes in gold, and due to the light coloured nature of the dial, I think it enhances the pattern. It really plays with the light, and definitely something to look at. The indices are faceted into some sort of rectangular pyramid, and is applied, and made of 18k gold. Same with the hands, razor sharp, highly polished, and facted as well. Upon close up, due to its age, some oxidation can be seen, but due to it’s gold nature, this is easily cleaned when serviced. Unlike steel, gold doesn’t corrode. Despite some aging, they still reflect light nicely, and gives alot of play on the dial.

The small consetellation star, (sorry abit hidden), is very three-dimensional, and the Omega logo is also raised and applied.

Date window is also taken into consideration, while Omega could just use a rectangular frame for it, they did an extra mile by again, making it faceted, and pyramid shaped. This makes the whole element on the watch plays with light greatly. I must say that the design and finishing, is already going into Grand Seiko territory.

There are lumes on the dial, but they are quite small, and I find them okay - not particularly very useful, but it gives some sort of legibility when you are in the dark.

Going outwards from the dial, you have the 18k Solid gold bezel, with the infamous “claws”. The bezel is deeply brushed in a circular pattern, and has roman numerals deeply engraved to it. It is then framed with the two “rectangular” claws on each side, that is semi-rounded, and highly polished. The contrast is immediately felt, and I find that strangely, it doesn’t feel out of place.

Extending away, the case then has a “semi-circular” brushing, that is different “curve” than the bezel, giving an extra dimension again. The brushing is also very well done, but not as noticeable as the bezel, as it is actually “softer” when seen in person.

It is really a showcase of workmanship, disregarding whatever you feel about this watch. The effort they put in, is on a different level. I have owned Speedmasters, Seamasters, Aquaterras, you name it, I personally, have not found any of those watches, to have a better or even on-par finishing as the Constellations.

This to me - re-instates that Omega consider their Consetellation line-ups one of the their top, and thus given a different treatment compared to even their most sold watches such as the speedmasters. Make no mistakes, Speedys are finished greatly, but it just doesn’t compare to the Constellations in regard of difficulty and complexity.

Turning the watch around, shows an exhibition caseback, housing the Co-Axial Cal 2500. While the movement is nothing extra ordinary, but it’s great that they offer this. I personally am always a fan of display casebacks, while some people may think differently. It’s a modest workhorse, and performs just fine so far. They come in different versions, A B C D, and I am unsure what version is mine, and I’m too lazy to check. But you can see it near the balance wheel, it is always engraved there.

Now, whats more interesting, is again, the finishing. The backside of the case is also brushed to such great details, and Omega doesn’t take the easy way out. Uniquely, the finishing is AGAIN different, you can see that the caseback actually features a horizontal finishing, while the backside of the bracelet, features a vertical finishing! This makes one of the most diverse watch when it comes to finishing. I am not sure if they just forgot that they did a horizontal on the front, and oops we made a vertical brushing on the back and just to hell with it hahaha.

But as you can see, the underside finishing is on par as the front, it doesn’t seem Omega is cutting any corners here. While they could, if they wanted to. No one pays attention to the back side as much anyways.

The left side of the watch is pretty barren save of the “claws” that extends down to the back, there is nothing to see here. But you can see how the watch sits very nicely on the wrist, and how thin it its. I suspect the newer models, with Cal. 8500 / 8800 / 8900 series will be somewhat thicker.

Here you can also see that the bracelet is also domed/curved from the side profile. Again showing how much thought it is given to make this watch.

The sides have again a different finishing, while not very visible here, the brushing pattern is again different.

On the right side, the watch features the normal crown, with the Omega logo, and also the double claws. This is where I have my complain, the crown is too recessed when winding, making it extremely annoying for me, so I had to grab the crown using my nails instead of the tips of my fingers, because there is just not enough space to grip it.

Changing date and time however, is not too much of a problem, as you pull the crown further. Oh the crown is not screw down by the way.

Upon closer inspection, you can see that the first “piping” link is again curved on it’s side, making the transition seamless from the case to bracelet. The newer ones features a strap too, so you can swap the bracelet out for a leather strap, I am unsure of this one. I tried googling but I couldn’t find one. I did find the one with the chrono rubber strap, but I am unsure if it fits here. But I would love to have it strapped on a brown croc strap and makes it really look different.

You can also see here that the watch almost has no gaps on my wrist while being worn, and it literally hugs my wrist, and very comfortable too.

On the wrist, the watch as a sigificant heft, and despite its moderate size, I find it has a lot of wrist presence. On my 16.5cm circumference wrist, the watch is a joy to wear, and while larger than the 35mm, I find it really nice, and fits the wrist comfortably. It gives a retro kind of feel, while having so many modern features and finishing, and is a real treat to look at.

It won’t be crowned as the best model from Omega for sure, but I am crowning as the ”most complex finishing” from Omega. Sure the materials aren’t as fancy as ceramic, or carbon, or anything else, but the level of details is impressive, at the least - to me.

The watch is a love or hate model, and I think the latter is more. But I find that the latter to be more. It does feel awkward looking from pictures, or advertisements, but I encourage you to see one in the metal and you may feel differently about it - I did.

Thank you for reading!

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
I like that watch and I could see myself wearing it. However as much as i like Omega Connies, they don't like me. I had a Omega Constellation '95 and even with a bunch of half links I got with the watch, i still could not dial it in to fit me well

That might be the biggest issue of these Constellations. The integrated bracelet does not allow you to use another strap. There is also no micro adjustment option. My wrist gets smaller in the morning and then swells up later in the day. I found I would have to take mine off during the afternoon as it was too tight. but if I added a half link it was too loose in the morning. I gave up and sold it

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I had an early Manhattan, they as you said are not popular everywhere
but,,, they are amazing detail to look at and very comfortable to wear

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like that watch and I could see myself wearing it. However as much as i like Omega Connies, they don't like me. I had a Omega Constellation '95 and even with a bunch of half links I got with the watch, i still could not dial it in to fit me well

That might be the biggest issue of these Constellations. The integrated bracelet does not allow you to use another strap. There is also no micro adjustment option. My wrist gets smaller in the morning and then swells up later in the day. I found I would have to take mine off during the afternoon as it was too tight. but if I added a half link it was too loose in the morning. I gave up and sold it
The bracelet, and any integrated bracelet with no microadjustments are extremely tricky to wear, I will agree to that.. a shame you couldnt get the right fit..

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Possibly one of the nicest and most elegant 'dress' watches that Omega have made. I love my "pre DE" Manhattan mechanical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts