WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I want to share one of my older watches in my collection, and one of the oldest line in Oris that probably didn’t change as much through the years.

The Oris Big Crown Pointer Date.

1723A70B-CC2E-4E92-B6B8-266AD02FF08B.jpeg

This watch is pretty unique, and I dare say that this design is really true to Oris. When fellow watch enthusiasts see this watch, they will right away know that this is an Oris watch. You don’t get to mistake it for anything else, and to be honest, nothing else comes close to this design. Which makes the watch, a love or hate. I’m on the love side obviously.

While there is nothing overly special about the watch, its the combination of everything thats in the details, that makes the watch stands out for me. It also comes in two sizes, 36mm or 40mm. So I think both sizes are great, and will fit most wrists accordingly.

EC565063-6ECB-478D-9794-A1A6F9B4EC74.jpeg

There are so many variations of this watch, from the materials of it, the sizes, the colour of the dial, even the hands and the configuration of the hands are varying in between models. You can get a sword hand on one of the newer models, there is also a shorter date “moon”, font differences/numerals, and so on. You can go on to Oris’ website and see a numerous amount of combination, and you can go to preowned sections in forums and such, and get older models with other varying dials as well.

I must say that mine is one of the “orginal” modern version, or in other words, an older model before the Big Crown became increasing popular and high in demand. There are quite a few differences, and I will try to share them as I go along.

So dial-wise, mine has a white pearly dial, edging on a cream, depending on the light, but I find it really pretty. You also have an alternating pattern on the dial to give a more depth and complication. You also get a “pointer-date”, hence the name, this is where the date indicator is indicated with a hand (the one with the cresent moon tip), instead of a date disc and a cutout. While this is not a fancy complication, but it does add a different approach and makes the watch look like it has an extra complication, instead of “just a date”.

In addition, I also really really like that Cathedral hands, you don’t really see many watches using it anymore. And to be honest, there’s not much watch design that can actually pull it off as well as this one.

18D9B48F-ED9F-4B2B-9AE4-CB610245DEAD.jpeg

The case is 40mm in diameter, and I find the proportions to be great. It is a modern size, but not overly large, and will suite many wrists just fine. The lug to lug is probably around 48mm, and has a 20mm lug with. In short, it’s a great and almost perfect size.

While the watch itself, wears abit larger than a 40mm should indicate. This is due to the larger face/dial, and quite thin bezel. It compared to a submariner for example, which is also a 40mm watch, this watch will “look larger”, because the submariner has a smaller dial diameter.

My watch is a combination between steel and rose gold, and I find it to be warm and charming. While I’m unsure if the bezel is solid or plated, but it is definitely gold, because it tarnishes like one after a while, and using the same method of cleaning like cleaning up gold, it cleans up well too. It maybe PVD coated in gold colour, but again, I’m unsure. And speaking about the bezel, this watch has that distinct coin edge bezel, that gives it a unique and vintage charm. This bezel is one of the defining element of “like it or hate it” regarding the watch.

Also, my version (the older one) ,has a significantly larger crown than the newer iterations, you can actually see this as well on Oris’ online catalogue. The newer ones are also threaded and screw down, while mine does not. The newer dials also has a full arabic dial, compared to my alternating arabic and pointer index dial.

DB50D142-D5D6-46C9-A98F-848A1456BE88.jpeg

The crystal here is coated on the underside (I think), and it’s super heavily domed, as you can see from the side picture here. While the coating does help to reduce light reflection, the natural glare of domed crystals will always give you reflection no matter what, and that is personally to me part of the charm.

It also distorts the dial in certain angles, giving it a strange nostalgic feeling. Unfortunately, sapphires like these are really prone to bangs and scratches, and I already have some scratches on it. While not really visible, but if you see carefully, you can notice it. But definitely not at arm’s length or normal viewing angles.

967A04E5-9CBA-44B3-9E40-F15B7BB7B026.jpeg

Almost all of Oris’ watches are powered by modified sellita SW200 movements. While people argue that ETA movements are better, I do not find there is any thing worse about the sellita movements. One could also argue, that given this price point, you can get ETA movements - yes you can, but due to the nature or Oris being an independent watch company (meaning it’s not owned by any other larger brands), sourcing an ETA movement is not as easy anymore as ETA made their movements exclusive within group only.

While they probably could strike a deal with ETA still, I think they will cost more than the sellita, and I find that Oris has made the correct decision not to pursue ETA movements and increase the price in the end.

Oris did not state that they regulate the movement, but many believe that they do, because the accuracy of the SW200 supplied in the watch is very accurate and within chronometre standards.

Like every other Oris watches, they have that red rotor going on, while you like it or hate it, I’m on the hate part, it is Oris’ signature too. And good thing is, I cant see it if I’m wearing it, so I don’t really care much.

08ED160D-E3D2-4EFB-A6CE-2E75A469E58F.jpeg

The watch I have came with a two-tone bracelet. While the bracelet isn’t bad, I personally don’t like it. I find that the bracelet has too much going on, way too much bling for my tastes, and it felt “wide”. I don’t think there is any significant taper on the bracelet - if at all. So why did I buy it on the bracelet then? Well because I bought it preowned, and it came that way. Can’t complain.

IF I were to buy new, I wouldn’t buy one on this particular bracelet. The all steel model may be okay, but definitely not on a two-tone.

ED2F773F-46C3-4262-BD7E-C55CD72204CA.jpeg

So a strap is the way to go, and I really dig the combination. While the watch can’t be defined as a strap monster, but it does take various straps well, from croco, lizard, and togo pattern strap like this is great. It would probably look great on a BOR bracelet, or a mesh too. For those wondering, I have a 16.5cm oval profile wrists, and it fits great.

But everyone has their own style and tastes, and Oris does provide these different options right off the bat. So you can choose your combination to satisfy what you really like.

Overall I think the Big Crown is really an iconic watch to an extent, it also wears very well on most wrists, and with a great pricepoint too. The new prices are still within accessible and reasonable range, while the preowned markets are even better for you who doesn’t mind a preowned watch like me.

Should you get one? If you like the design yes definitely. If you are on the fence, no, means you don’t like it, you’d flip it on the way anyway. Because there is (to me) no in between for this specific model from Oris, you love it, or you hate it.

Thank you for reading!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi

Nice review I have the eta 36mm pre-red rotor version.

A few points:-

• the bezel is gold plate - and seems a good quality, mine has not 'worn through' at all after 24 years.
  • I think your glass is plexi not sapphire - some older models had a flat sapphire but the curved only came out in the last couple of years I believe.
  • Following on from this if an Oris has sapphire it always seems to be listed on the case back.
  • If it is plexi it wont have any anti reflection treatment on the glass.

Nigel.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Nice review I have the eta 36mm pre-red rotor version.

A few points:-

• the bezel is gold plate - and seems a good quality, mine has not 'worn through' at all after 24 years.
  • I think your glass is plexi not sapphire - some older models had a flat sapphire but the curved only came out in the last couple of years I believe.
  • Following on from this if an Oris has sapphire it always seems to be listed on the case back.
  • If it is plexi it wont have any anti reflection treatment on the glass.

Nigel.
Thank you for that, I just knocked on my glass and it does sound like plexi!

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
WHAT Model# is this? I can't locate it @ Oris.ch

Today I want to share one of my older watches in my collection, and one of the oldest line in Oris that probably didn’t change as much through the years.

The Oris Big Crown Pointer Date.

View attachment 15195791

This watch is pretty unique, and I dare say that this design is really true to Oris. When fellow watch enthusiasts see this watch, they will right away know that this is an Oris watch. You don’t get to mistake it for anything else, and to be honest, nothing else comes close to this design. Which makes the watch, a love or hate. I’m on the love side obviously.

While there is nothing overly special about the watch, its the combination of everything thats in the details, that makes the watch stands out for me. It also comes in two sizes, 36mm or 40mm. So I think both sizes are great, and will fit most wrists accordingly.

View attachment 15195797

There are so many variations of this watch, from the materials of it, the sizes, the colour of the dial, even the hands and the configuration of the hands are varying in between models. You can get a sword hand on one of the newer models, there is also a shorter date “moon”, font differences/numerals, and so on. You can go on to Oris’ website and see a numerous amount of combination, and you can go to preowned sections in forums and such, and get older models with other varying dials as well.

I must say that mine is one of the “orginal” modern version, or in other words, an older model before the Big Crown became increasing popular and high in demand. There are quite a few differences, and I will try to share them as I go along.

So dial-wise, mine has a white pearly dial, edging on a cream, depending on the light, but I find it really pretty. You also have an alternating pattern on the dial to give a more depth and complication. You also get a “pointer-date”, hence the name, this is where the date indicator is indicated with a hand (the one with the cresent moon tip), instead of a date disc and a cutout. While this is not a fancy complication, but it does add a different approach and makes the watch look like it has an extra complication, instead of “just a date”.

In addition, I also really really like that Cathedral hands, you don’t really see many watches using it anymore. And to be honest, there’s not much watch design that can actually pull it off as well as this one.

View attachment 15195811

The case is 40mm in diameter, and I find the proportions to be great. It is a modern size, but not overly large, and will suite many wrists just fine. The lug to lug is probably around 48mm, and has a 20mm lug with. In short, it’s a great and almost perfect size.

While the watch itself, wears abit larger than a 40mm should indicate. This is due to the larger face/dial, and quite thin bezel. It compared to a submariner for example, which is also a 40mm watch, this watch will “look larger”, because the submariner has a smaller dial diameter.

My watch is a combination between steel and rose gold, and I find it to be warm and charming. While I’m unsure if the bezel is solid or plated, but it is definitely gold, because it tarnishes like one after a while, and using the same method of cleaning like cleaning up gold, it cleans up well too. It maybe PVD coated in gold colour, but again, I’m unsure. And speaking about the bezel, this watch has that distinct coin edge bezel, that gives it a unique and vintage charm. This bezel is one of the defining element of “like it or hate it” regarding the watch.

Also, my version (the older one) ,has a significantly larger crown than the newer iterations, you can actually see this as well on Oris’ online catalogue. The newer ones are also threaded and screw down, while mine does not. The newer dials also has a full arabic dial, compared to my alternating arabic and pointer index dial.

View attachment 15195817

The crystal here is coated on the underside (I think), and it’s super heavily domed, as you can see from the side picture here. While the coating does help to reduce light reflection, the natural glare of domed crystals will always give you reflection no matter what, and that is personally to me part of the charm.

It also distorts the dial in certain angles, giving it a strange nostalgic feeling. Unfortunately, sapphires like these are really prone to bangs and scratches, and I already have some scratches on it. While not really visible, but if you see carefully, you can notice it. But definitely not at arm’s length or normal viewing angles.

View attachment 15195825

Almost all of Oris’ watches are powered by modified sellita SW200 movements. While people argue that ETA movements are better, I do not find there is any thing worse about the sellita movements. One could also argue, that given this price point, you can get ETA movements - yes you can, but due to the nature or Oris being an independent watch company (meaning it’s not owned by any other larger brands), sourcing an ETA movement is not as easy anymore as ETA made their movements exclusive within group only.

While they probably could strike a deal with ETA still, I think they will cost more than the sellita, and I find that Oris has made the correct decision not to pursue ETA movements and increase the price in the end.

Oris did not state that they regulate the movement, but many believe that they do, because the accuracy of the SW200 supplied in the watch is very accurate and within chronometre standards.

Like every other Oris watches, they have that red rotor going on, while you like it or hate it, I’m on the hate part, it is Oris’ signature too. And good thing is, I cant see it if I’m wearing it, so I don’t really care much.

View attachment 15195837

The watch I have came with a two-tone bracelet. While the bracelet isn’t bad, I personally don’t like it. I find that the bracelet has too much going on, way too much bling for my tastes, and it felt “wide”. I don’t think there is any significant taper on the bracelet - if at all. So why did I buy it on the bracelet then? Well because I bought it preowned, and it came that way. Can’t complain.

IF I were to buy new, I wouldn’t buy one on this particular bracelet. The all steel model may be okay, but definitely not on a two-tone.

View attachment 15195839

So a strap is the way to go, and I really dig the combination. While the watch can’t be defined as a strap monster, but it does take various straps well, from croco, lizard, and togo pattern strap like this is great. It would probably look great on a BOR bracelet, or a mesh too. For those wondering, I have a 16.5cm oval profile wrists, and it fits great.

But everyone has their own style and tastes, and Oris does provide these different options right off the bat. So you can choose your combination to satisfy what you really like.

Overall I think the Big Crown is really an iconic watch to an extent, it also wears very well on most wrists, and with a great pricepoint too. The new prices are still within accessible and reasonable range, while the preowned markets are even better for you who doesn’t mind a preowned watch like me.

Should you get one? If you like the design yes definitely. If you are on the fence, no, means you don’t like it, you’d flip it on the way anyway. Because there is (to me) no in between for this specific model from Oris, you love it, or you hate it.

Thank you for reading!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone know what font Oris uses for the Arabics on the Big Crown Date Pointer?

(Mine, by the way, is a 28mm with a silver rotor and plexi.)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Why Oris stopped manufacturing these unique, intricate and beautiful watches is beyond me.

Where are the raised indices and the guilloche dial on the new versions? The printed flat dial makes them cheaper looking and pretty insipid in my view and all these colours are a bit gimmicky. Even the date pointer design is a bit naff.

The originals ooze class and these modern ones are a real disappointment. I really hope they start making them again as I'm after a black one!

Mine is the 36mm version. I change between this black strap and the bracelet.

IMG_20201231_120138815.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Thanks for a great review and enjoyable read! I had a 36mm ETA pre red rotor, plexi model. I acquired it about 12 years ago. At the time it did not get much wrist time, so I gifted it to a friend. While I never regret anything I gifted, I have to admit that it is missed now. Mine was all stainless and not two tone. I have to say, though, I do like that rather ornate bracelet. I could do without the open case back red rotor, just don't think it really suits the watch. Nevertheless, it is a great looking piece with tons of charm!

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is an iconic ORIS design, one of their all-time greats. I had a 40-mm all stainless steel one that I sold around 5 years and regret letting go of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts