WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Annnnddd here we go again

Rolex has been a watch that is coveted by many, but unlike the majority of people, I never really liked the Subs, or the GMTs. I have owned from vintage 1680/1675 to more modern ceramic bezelled ones, but it really didnt get into me. It’s a nice watch, but it never felt, it’s for me. The Rolexes that have always been kept in my collections, are 36mm datejusts. Not only to me they are versatile, they are classic, and I feel they are both dressy and sporty at the same time. I’m blessed (or cursed) with a small wrist, so wearing a 34-36mm diamater watch, doesnt feel like out of proportion. I also kept my day-dates, because I think they are really nice too. And the my most favorite datejust interation are the piepan series, 1601 and so, because I really really like the dial shape.

Moving on, some years after I never lusted for another Rolex, I somehow, found out, about the Osyter Perpetual, like ... last year? I was so out of it and didnt care much about Rolex I didnt know what they released LOL. So out came the OP, with 39mm. I was like woah, that’s an odd size, I wonder if it will look right. But then, the interest never built, I never went to a Rolex AD and tried it on, and soon I forgot about it.

One day, I met a friend, who coincidentally wore the OP39 in Rhodhium dial, with blue pips. I immediately loved it’s modern size, and no nonesense dial layout. It probably made me realize how balanced the dial is without a date window that I’m accustomed to in my datejusts.

So the quest began, and a few months back, I got myself a preowned OP39 in black. For around 4900 USD. The option was either black or white, I didn’t mind either, I only cared which ever came first. But funnily, they both came at the same time. 1 day apart to be exact, a local dealer had one, and the next day, another dealer had the other. On the same day I went to look at both, I ended up with the black.

F082C73D-26E6-4C47-A97C-7906AFDA6982.jpeg

Now don’t get me wrong, the white is amazing. But like a complete total moron OCD as I am, I can’t live with the different colour of the white lume and the non-white dial, I don’t know whats wrong with me, I feel they shouldn’t have lume instead. The colour made the dial looks a bit strange combination sometime, and the lume seems too white sometimes, I don’t know, I’m just strange.

598DD74D-C038-4D11-AB02-89B9E7785F52.jpeg

Reviews of this watch as been done to death and so I‘m not gonna go over the technicalities of this watch, I’m just gonna tell a story of what I think is nice and why I like it. Which probably is the same to many. It’s a simple watch with no nonsense, it tells you the time and thats it. It’s probably a fresh get-away from any form of datejusts, and Explorer, or Air-king. But after owning it, I realize it’s the little things that makes me adore this watch.

Yes sure, the overall aesthetic is nice, it’s also presented in a modern size, but it’s in the little details that probably not everyone stresses it out when reviewing it.

8D62E21C-54F7-4443-A84E-441E1F235636.jpeg

First of all, it’s the dial. No I’m not talking about the symmetry, the nice hands, or what not. But the actual dial itself. Yes its black, most of the pictures from AD or on the internet, you really see that the black is a solid one. At least I thought so. But in fact, the black is almost satin finished, with a sunburst pattern. If you glance at it, you can see it’s somewhat metallic in a way, but no so much, it also gives out a very very small sunburst ray. But when the strong light hits it, you can actually really see that sunburst rays and it adds so much dimension to the watch. I find that I have a strange yearning to want to touch that dial with my fingers and see how it feels like. But really, I’m glad that Rolex decided to be brave on their dials for a change, and when I speak about dials, I usually refer to Seikos. They give Rolex a run for their money on dial productions.

A1F7F5EA-5A13-402E-9133-D940611E8D8A.jpeg

Secondly, the bezel is dome. It’s not a flat angled bezel like you get from the air king or the explorer, but its actually curved. This gives a different impression of the watch, and especially when being worn. It feels a bit more compact yet has a better dimensionality. In short, it looked less flat. I also like how the way the curvature of the bezel reflects its surrounding, its much like looking at a fluted bezel, its somehow mesmerizing instead of having a flat out bezel. Mesmerizing is probably an over-statement, but it definitely isnt boring.

250E5CCA-FAE7-47FA-A84F-D0419A7CF0C5.jpeg

Third, I love that all brushed feel. Coming from datejusts, I always felt sometimes, something is a bit too blingy. And this all brushed nature, makes it feel really subdued and understated. While not fully sporty, it doesnt feel overly glamorous as well. The brushing of the case is of course, very nice, Rolex quality standard. Though, I do find that I’m tempted to switch this with a jubilee and see how it looks, but I never had the time or chance to do so. Maybe one of these days I would do it, and try put in on a strap with end links as well.

496ECF12-B424-4F49-A37B-43A8C5F4937A.jpeg

Last but not least, I feel that Rolex, despite this being the one of the “cheapest” larger watches in their line, they didn’t skimp on their quality. I saw a youtube video some time ago, before I made the purchase, the youtuber stated the finished on the hands and the crown is simply poor, and there we scratches everywhere, and even on the seconds hand. I’m relieved that I found no such issue on mine, and I thikn it’s a miss on the QC. It’s human assembled after-all, and there is bound to be one bad egg in a basket at least. So the doubts are not proven, and I’m sure, if Rolex was notified about it, they would gladly replace the “scratched hands”.

0C4DAF26-001D-4504-8D17-5D8288865295.jpeg

Is there anthing I’d like to change? Yes, the crown. It feels the crown is a tad too small for the size of the watch, and to be honest, I find the grip isn’t as comprotable as my older datejusts, I’m unsure why. But I’d be happier if the crown is around half mm thicker, and 1 mm wider. It’s a minor nitpick, but for the money that we are spending on the watch, I think it should be okay to nitpick.

Overall, I think Rolex made the size right on this one, and got the formulas right for the almost entirity of the watch. I’m sure someone would want something different, but I guess thats why they have different models available, and there is no one perfect watch, so we are certain to buy more.

But if I had to keep just one watch and grow old with, this could be it.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice review and your impressions , including mentioning the domed shaped bezel as compared to the AK and Explorer 1 bezels.
Isnt it interesting, that domed bezel instantly makes the OP39 looks more compact and I dont know, less flat than the other two. Great trio btw!

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,553 Posts
Isnt it interesting, that domed bezel instantly makes the OP39 looks more compact and I dont know, less flat than the other two. Great trio btw!

Thanks. Since I felt there was too much duplication between my Explorer I and OP39, I decided to let go of the OP39. Both wear identically since their cases and bracelets are essentially the same, whereas the 40mm Air King is a bit larger and thicker, and wears differently than the other two. The AK and Milgauss share the same case and bracelet; hence both wear the same on the wrist.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Excellent review. My white dial OP 39 has become one of my favorite watches that I simply cannot imagine letting go. While I considered the black dial, I think the white dial is a completely unique beast in the Rolex lineup, capable of changing colors depending on the ambient lighting. In any case, both are amazing. Here are a couple of pics of mine.
865B7BA6-25AD-4FB1-86FB-D79A22FE54AA.jpeg 56BC35BF-1F66-496C-91B6-7D7C4AA3CF77.jpeg 543B23E6-91A3-4C4D-9259-F28FC4430B2A.jpeg

·
Registered
868 Posts
A bigger crown would make a watch sportier, and would change its character. I like it the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The white is always great, theres not much white watches going around, and the ones that are, arent made as beautifully as well. Thanks for all the comments!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I love this watch. I’m excited to see what Rolex does with the rest of the dial colors. If they update the rhodium to resemble the white, my wife is not gonna be happy!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know what, I want a silver/rhodium dial, with gold indexes like the old precision models. That would be so awesome!

I love this watch. I’m excited to see what Rolex does with the rest of the dial colors. If they update the rhodium to resemble the white, my wife is not gonna be happy!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Excellent review. My white dial OP 39 has become one of my favorite watches that I simply cannot imagine letting go. While I considered the black dial, I think the white dial is a completely unique beast in the Rolex lineup, capable of changing colors depending on the ambient lighting. In any case, both are amazing. Here are a couple of pics of mine.
View attachment 15094005 View attachment 15094007 View attachment 15094009
White OP is unstoppable!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,479 Posts
Great write up and photos and I love the 'Sunray' as Rolex calls it black dial. Sadly the 39mm wears too big and I dislike the 36mm with the double lume batons at 3 and 9.

Enjoy that beauty in great health :)

Reactions: Buick

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great write up and photos and I love the 'Sunray' as Rolex calls it black dial. Sadly the 39mm wears too big and I dislike the 36mm with the double lume batons at 3 and 9.

Enjoy that beauty in great health :)
I thought they already have new dials for the 36mm?

·
Registered
11,479 Posts
I thought they already have new dials for the 36mm?

I’m not sure if they’re new or not. Aside from the blue dial which looks like the Explorer 1, they all have these awful double batons. If the lume batons were the same as the 39mm then one would most likely be on my wrist.

Adjustments.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice review. I too was blown away by the character of the dial when I finally saw one in person. Like most folks, I had thought it was "plain" black, not the active sunburst black that it is.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice review. I too was blown away by the character of the dial when I finally saw one in person. Like most folks, I had thought it was "plain" black, not the active sunburst black that it is.
Yes I was surprised, by both of the black and white dial. They were not as it seem from the photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’m not sure if they’re new or not. Aside from the blue dial which looks like the Explorer 1, they all have these awful double batons. If the lume batons were the same as the 39mm then one would most likely be on my wrist.

View attachment 15096945

Maybe I thought wrong then, because I thought they already had a different dial version for the other colours as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts