WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been much of a fan for Rolex sports watches, I don’t know why but their sports models just don’t strike me as anything very interesting - no offense to their respective owners of course. But I always find that Rolex’s true beauty lies in their datejusts models, or those with fluted bezels. I find that it is a very unique trait to Rolex, and has been such an iconic feature that one can tell that it is a Rolex even from a distance.

While sure, they are replicated and inspired many brands to follow suit, the degree of finishing and craftmanship of Rolex’s fluted bezel is really second to none.

I usually dwell more on their vintage Datejusts and Daydates, because I personally find their sizes to be more svelte, and well, it’s also a hidden gem in my opinion because they don’t cost as much as their modern siblings, and I find their proportions are much better suited to wear on a strap (slimmer lugs, and slimmer case), as I am very much a strap person.

But after a while, I became very interested in the Rolex Sky Dweller, and it is probably one of the most complicated watch in their datejust line - or perhaps overall. But I’m sure the Cellinis have some more complex ones?

So after pondering back and forth for a while, I managed to find a great deal from a very good friend, complete set box and papers dated 2019, and as you can see, in white dial. There are of course some reservations before I pulled the trigger, and still do even after owning and wearing it for a while, which I will discuss here today.

The Sky Dweller is a large watch, and I even consider it massive, especially when comparing it down to the datejust and day-date family. This is literally the largest watch from Rolex that incorporates the fluted bezel, and the 42mm dimension alone is probably misleading.

I have worn 42-45mm watches before, and I must say when worn on the wrist, this watch is imposing. The chunky case and thick lugs makes the watch look visually larger than the specifications might suggest, and this is not a watch for any wrist smaller than 16.5cm.

While the proportions are great, I still personally think the watch is on the edge of limit of what I can wear, but I am unsure if I want to continue to wear it because of the overall look of the watch, I find it needs to be smaller. The fluted bezel, while beautiful, looks loud on this watch, borderline overwhelming.

Thankfully it’s 22mm lug width makes it alot easier for me to swap it to a strap instead of wearing it on the heavy oyster bracelet. While yes, the bracelet is very nice, Rolex standards, I am not much of a bracelet person, and it makes this heavy watch feel even heavier to me.

Not many people would agree to swapping it to a strap, but I actually find it striking, and is more wearable for people with smaller wrists, or those who find their watch being too heavy.

How heavy? Well lets just say when I take it off to type this review, I felt that there is a weight being lifted off my wrist, and that is no kidding. I have worn panerais before, but I don’t know I feel this watch is heavy.

What I love most about this watch is the dial, the white is egg-shell like and has some soft texture to it, and I find it best to suit both formal and casual attire. The blue and black are also gorgeous, But I find that white is more casual and tones down the overall look of the watch and balances it out with the large fluted bezel.

As many have done reviews endlessly before, the movement is unique and requires bezel rotation/action to set the things inside the watch. While I find it innovative, I’m wondering how long until gunk and dirt will slide under my bezel and makes it harder to turn or even stuck.

You get a lot of features here, and this watch is an annual calender. You can tell the time, date, two timezones, and the month on the most outer indicator. Its really a unique watch, and while there are of course many watches that have this feature, but the Sky Dweller is the only watch to incorporate it in such a way - kudos to them for doing something different. And to be honest, this movement is actually the one that tips me over into buying such an Imposing watch.

Also due to the nature of the white coloured dial, I find that the watch goes easy and well with numerous colours for the straps, and of course materials as well. I find that pairing it with calf, rubber, alligator, sailcloth, throw anything at it, and it works just well.

The size also helps with the rubber and sailcloth, as the robustness of the watch makes it sports watch territory, unlike a 36mm datejust on a rubber strap IMHO will look silly to me. So aside from being a curse, the size is also a blessing.

And not only the size, I find the watch to be thick. I am unsure if it needs to be this thick, but any slimmer would be great. But - I would probably suggest - if they are going for this thickness, they might as well incorporate a display caseback at it. Because I find the watch should look interesting movement wise, especially if you can see it.

I know Rolex has not been making display casebacks other than their older Cellini lines, but I think it’s time to showcase how nice of a movement they can make, it’s a shame.

On my 16.5cm wrist, the watch is just on the edge of the width of my wrist. And I am blessed with a flatter wrist, so I can pull off some larger watches better than others in similiar wrist sizes. But personally I would be glad if they can shave off at least 1mm from the diameter, and 1.5mm lug to lug length.

I know this probably will throw the proportions off, but I think they need to rethink it a little more incase of just hitting 110% button on their AI file.

It looks gorgeous on the wrist for sure, but I just wish it is smaller, or I have larger wrists for it.

Putting it on a strap does help alot, it tones the watch down and makes it look “smaller” than on the bracelet. It also definitely makes the watch much lighter than it should be, and well, I think it looks nice overall.

I’m not sure how it would look on jubilee in person, But I bet it would look nice too. This is why Rolex watches are popular as well, they are easy on the eyes no matter what kind of strap or bracelet you put on.

So what are my final thoughts about this watch? I guess it’s a bit hard to say, I like it, but I don’t love it. There is just a few elements that “I wish” for, and I know I can’t change. Not sure if it is just “an adjustment” period, because personally I have never seen any watch with a fluted bezel as large as this, perhaps I will get used to it in the longer term - only time will tell.

But I am really enjoying the versatility of it, and swapping strap has never been so undecided for me because almost everything looks good on it.

I’m not saying that this is a bad watch at all, but I guess it may not be the watch for me in the end, who knows. I guess I will just enjoy it for now and see how things end up the future.

Thank you for reading!

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
thank you for this great review.
such a lovely watch. it's my most favorite piece (i'd take that over the Daytona anytime, any day).
you pulled it off really nicely. well, if you can wear a Panerai. you can wear any larger Rolex with ease.
Man!!. those notched gator Straps are Fire 🤩 :love: 🔥. i totally agree with . this white dial looks so good on many different leather colors (you have plenty to go around, however adding a Red Gator wouldn't be bad at all ;)).
congratulations. wear it in good health

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for this great review.
such a lovely watch. it's my most favorite piece (i'd take that over the Daytona anytime, any day).
you pulled it off really nicely. well, if you can wear a Panerai. you can wear any larger Rolex with ease.
Man!!. those notched gator Straps are Fire 🤩 :love: 🔥. i totally agree with . this white dial looks so good on many different leather colors (you have plenty to go around, however adding a Red Gator wouldn't be bad at all ;)).
congratulations. wear it in good health
Thanks man! I actually have pink and orange too, red is next on the list definitely!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yes they do my friend, many datejusts that is not twotone are full steel, being the fluted bezel is the only gold component in the watch.
Ok, so the fluted bezel is precious metal. When I hear someone refer to something as a steel model, I’m assuming full steel.

Beautiful watch btw!

·
Registered
31 Posts

The Skydweller is beautiful
it is big on my small wrist (right around 6.5 inch) but i still want it
i wonder if the oysterflex version will help the way it fits on my wrist or not

·
Registered
421 Posts

The Skydweller is beautiful
it is big on my small wrist (right around 6.5 inch) but i still want it
i wonder if the oysterflex version will help the way it fits on my wrist or not
Same here. If they make it 40 will be awesome.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I somehow really love it on rubber. I just purchased two of these two-tone barton rubber straps and they wear and feel awesome. I personally dislike the oysterflex model and I find them uncomfortable.

But the white with black underside, and black with red underside seems to be a great fit for this white model!

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
they both look great (y).
are you using their Tang Buckles , or the Rollie clasp with those straps ?.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they both look great (y).
are you using their Tang Buckles , or the Rollie clasp with those straps ?.
TANG for the win my friend, Im never clasp guy, they never fit me right somehow, I have a wierd wrist..

·
Registered
49 Posts
From the photos it's clear the lug-to-lug distance is greater than the width of your wrist. Not a good match for you, I agree.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From the photos it's clear the lug-to-lug distance is greater than the width of your wrist. Not a good match for you, I agree.
Not trying to defend or whatnot, but when I see it head-on, it’s actually still within my wrists, I am pretty flat wristed and still have about 2mm clearance on each side.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
it's often the Angle and how the shot was taken. makes the Lugs hang over the wrist. also, all close-up shots make watches appear Larger.
anyway.the OP explained it Well. since he knows his watch and his wrist ;).

Reactions: NTJW
1 - 17 of 17 Posts