WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here again, writing reviews because I have time in my hands.

Today I’m going to talk about one of my oldest watches in my collection, and I think it’s one of the most controversial watch when it was released.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

This watch, obviously a chronograph, is subject to a major bullying (if I may say so) from most of the watch enthusiasts and internet in general. Upon release Tag mentions this as an “in-house” movement, made my Tag. While I may say that it is not an incorrect term, but the general consensus is that having an in-house movement, means you need to design it from ground up. While this movement, is not.

Apparently it’s based on a patented Seiko chronograph movement, and purchased by Tag Heuer, then modified, and full assembled in-house (except one or two components which are still bought from Seiko), and it did not entertain much of the general public. While there is obviously nothing wrong with the movement, and Seiko is one of the giants of movement innovators, people seem to think that Tag is “cheating” somewhat, by making a movement “theirs”.

Long story short, you can google the rest in the internet, but I personally find the movement is great and satisfying, and ticks most of the boxes you’d want in a chronograph.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Apart from the movement “issue”, tag also released three different versions of this watch intially. Creating somewhat of confusion. The first original one was on show in Baselworld, but only as a prototype, the released one, as I can call version 1, has no tachymetre scale inside, and there are no applied silver rings on 12 and 6 sub-dials. The one I have here, is version 2. At a certain point in time, you can buy either versions, but Tag was waiting for version 1 to be sold out in most of the dealers out there, before releasing their version 2. Calibre11 has this covered in great lengths if you wish to learn more.

The model I have here, as I said, is the version 2, of the 41mm case size. Since then they have come in numerous dial and size combinations. Mine is with a silver dial.

I have always liked silvery dialed watches, and Tag here executed their dial very well, from placing the applied ring on the subdials, from the position of the date, and also the choice of colours. I do however preferred the no tachymetre ring, as it makes the watch looks cleaner. And also because I never use the tachy scale anyway.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Blue Fashion accessory

On the wrist, I think 41mm is a great size. For my 16.5cm circumference oval-shaped wrist, I find it is probably as large as I can go for a dressy kind of watch like this. The lug to lug is around 47.5 or 48mm, and makes it sits nice on the wrist. The carerra lugs also drops down sharply, making an impression that the watch is hugging your wrist nicely.

Legibility is also very nice, in contrast with silver dial and silver indexes, theres always some facet that reflects something, making some parts of the watch darker and lighter at the same time. I never had an issue regarding legibility and have always been able to quickly tell the time.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

As you can see from my pics, I have been alternating between a third party strap and the original croco strap that came with it. Tag heuer straps are awesome, they are supple, thick, generously padded, and very comfortable on the wrist. They use high quality hide, and what I love most, are their buckles. Their buckle design is a genius, easy to fit, and gives you an unlimited amount of sizing to suit practically any wrist size you can think of.

Tag buckles are great, common deployants are okay, but Tag’s system, are just awesome. I wish everyone would use the same model. I forgot to take a picture of it here, but I’m sure you can find one online. It’s by far, the easiest strap buckle system I have ever used to adjust, and gives me the most precise sizing.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Here’s the debated movement, and I think it’s nice, with a blue column wheel. The rest is great to look at but nothing super fancy. It is also quite a thick movement, but due to the shape of the case and lugs, it didnt feel like it. The rotor winds bi-directionally as far as I know, making it more efficient in filling up your watch’s power reserve, and also lacks that wobble you get from Valjoux 7750 movements.

The Chronograph pushers act with a definitive click, crisp, and very very nice. Compared to many chronographs modules out there, this is by far the smoothes chronograph clicks in the price range that I have ever felt. The true in-house heuer 02 didnt even the same to be honest. While the heuer 01, have the same smoothness. I still own my carerra skeleton 01, so I know for sure, and I onwed the Autavia 02 before. So at one point I had all 3 together and I tested. While the 02 “is true in-house”, this 1887, and heuer 01 (based on 1887), is smoother. I couldn’t believe it either, but trust me, it felt different.

One thing to note though, the chronograph creates a “jumping” minute as you start and stop and reset your chronograph. While this doesnt affect the time in the longer run, but if you keep clicking on it multiple times you can go as far ahead as a few minutes. The minute hand then stops though, allowing the actual minute gear to “keep up” and then slots back in. I’m not sure if thats the correct term. It’s quite strange to me to see it here, but not on the heuer 01 skeleton. FYI I also noticed it on an AP ROO 42mm Safari that I owned before as well, but thats a piggy back module. I’m not sure if this is inherently a 1887 problem in general, or I have a faulty one. But I noticed it since early days when I bought it, but never had a problem.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

These days you cant buy these brand new anymore. But down here, they are going quite cheap in the preowned market. You can get a mint condition with box and papers for only around 1500USD, or less without it. And I personally think for that price, it’s quite a great deal. You get a very nice movement that is not as generic as Valjoux, and you get a very nice column wheel at that too. Great size and proportions, and I still personally think Tag Heuer offers great value for money on watches.

The only bad side is, you have alot of Tag haters in the world, but I couldn’t really care. Because everytime I wear it, I never get anyone saying “Man I hate your watch” anyway LOL. Even if they do, I would say “Thanks for noticing!” Hahahaha.

They also have the 43mm size, but I personally think it’s way too big, maybe some big wristed person would love it, but not me.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Nice, I really miss my 1887

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
What a beautiful watch. I love this design and I wish it was still available. The only similar one available in Canada right now is a Cal. 16

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The 1887 is a beautiful movement. Tag modified the movement by putting in an oscillating pinion for the chronograph engagement instead of a vertical clutch (like Seiko had).

The oscillating pinion has much significance to heuer, since they patented the technique in 1887, hence the name. Cool idea and history; however, I would prefer the performance of a vertical clutch. It is cool that the 1887/h01 is the last movement th will make with the oscillating pinion, since a vertical clutch performs better and is easier and cheaper to make.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts