WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Lord Matic Connoisseur
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was talking to a bud the other day, and in light of the Islander ISL-21 on my wrist, we started shooting the breeze about what our ideal Islander ISL (Seiko by extension, I guess) would be; choosing the case, dial, colours, hands, etc, from existing Seiko watches as Marc from Long Island Watches does.

So, if it doesn't exist already, what is your ideal ISL build?

Watch Hand Finger Gadget Watch accessory

·
Registered
Lord Matic Connoisseur
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SS embossed bezel insert, sunburst deep purple dial (or even just black), MM300 hands, Samurai case.

Especially with a black dial, I think it's totally within reason.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I always read the phrase 'islander' but never knew what it meant... So it's a modded Seiko by Marc from Long Island watches?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I always read the phrase 'islander' but never knew what it meant... So it's a modded Seiko by Marc from Long Island watches?
I'd say the majority of the islanders are based on an SKX style case rather than a modded Seiko. He isn't starting with a Seiko and changing it. I think his idea was to make watches that incorporate a lot of the popular SKX mods into new watches when the SKX was discontinued. They've gone way past that though.

·
Premium Member
39,646 Posts
They look good to me "as is", IMHO.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
ISL-39 with smooth bezel, no date, and 3-link Oyster-style bracelet.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Islander ISL-65 is pretty close:

I love the case shape, the handset, and the bracelet. The logo is not only a sticking point but a dealbreaker for me; a better logo is a must, but I'd actually prefer something written there instead - "Islander" with the same script as used on the caseback would do perfectly fine. I'd also like a bit more text rather than just "Automatic 200M", preferably with a portion of the text written in red, and with a more carefully chosen typeface. I'd prefer the date window to be framed in silver, and I'd like to have a kanji alternative day display. I'd like the caseback to be matte-finished and I'd like Long Island motif to be properly raised, not just laser-engraved. Oh, and I'd like the movement to be quartz, not necesarrily HAQ, just something reasonable.

·
Registered
Lord Matic Connoisseur
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Islander ISL-65 is pretty close:

I love the case shape, the handset, and the bracelet. The logo is not only a sticking point but a dealbreaker for me; a better logo is a must, but I'd actually prefer something written there instead - "Islander" with the same script as used on the caseback would do perfectly fine. I'd also like a bit more text rather than just "Automatic 200M", preferably with a portion of the text written in red, and with a more carefully chosen typeface. I'd prefer the date window to be framed in silver, and I'd like to have a kanji alternative day display. I'd like the caseback to be matte-finished and I'd like Long Island motif to be properly raised, not just laser-engraved. Oh, and I'd like the movement to be quartz, not necesarrily HAQ, just something reasonable.
Superb response. The ISL-65 is about as good as it gets from LIW in my books.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I’ve thought about the getting a 38mm Pepsi islander a few times but the branding irks me a little. I think the watch achieves its goals 100% otherwise. A stark “ISLANDER” would suit me better but I respect mark for differentiating from seiko a bit more with that logo. Just pulled the trigger on a SKX015 so I guess that ship has sailed.

I would just like Seiko to have a true 38mm dive watch in a modern automatic model(the SKX013 is 37 and the bezel is only 36). This 7546-6040 quartz I used to have (38mm case and bezel) was the only dive case that fit me better than my BB58. If they could go a little thicker with the bezel, slightly larger hands, and squeeze a 6R in there, I would throw my money at them (even after I have sworn off buying new Seikos after my SPB149 experience).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
but using knockoff parts from AliExpress instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts