WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
14,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember a few people complaining a bit that the Doxa Book was too expensive. I always thought it was very reasonably priced, so I bought 2. I thought this might put it into perspective:-d:-d

Competitor's Book--Click HERE

·
Registered
760 Posts
You couldn't be more right J, Pete's book would be a steal at twice the price!

Had the chance to look over the prepublication copy, still need to buy the real thing. (..maybe a Christmas gift to myself?)

:-!

·
14,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You couldn't be more right J, Pete's book would be a steal at twice the price!

Had the chance to look over the prepublication copy, still need to buy the real thing. (..maybe a Christmas gift to myself?)

:-!

I say go for it. But don't get rid of that prepublication copy as you call it. I would say that those may be rather neat to look at in a number of years.;-)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am a watch collector for 25 years. This year I was converted to Doxa as one of the top collectable watches. The reasons are well known :
History, Clive Cussler, design, icon of diving watches, incredably interaction between Doxa and collectors etc.
But what collectors of all fine pieces of art should have in common is proper documentation. Without Dr. P. Millars book, I would not have bought any Doxa, simply because the right information and documentation were not known to me. So, as Jason did, I bought two books, one for using daily, one for keeping pristine. Compared to other watch collectors books, the orange one is cheap, of high quality and a reference standard work for Doxa.
Well done Doc. Millar, your work is on my desk.
Regards,
Adrian.

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Since we're talking about Pete's book.....Pete, are you still signing books that are sold here in N. America?

I'm planning on getting one signed for my son. He's only three now, but there will come a day. Perhaps the day that he receives his first scuba certification.:think:

How great would it be, to one day say "Hey son, congratulations on your certification. Your Mom and I have a little something that we put back just for this special day"

He opens a box and finds inside one of Pete's books personally signed to him, congratulating him on his accomplishment. He then digs a little deeper, and finds a silver aluminum tube. In that tube, a DOXA Pro perfectly NOS and just for him.

I know if my dad had done something like that when I was a newly certified diver, my spirits would have been flying so high that they'd still be circling the clouds.:)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Guys thanks for the kind words on the book. Yep I'll still sign and or personalize any books for North America.

Did anyone who visited the new ADs see a book on the counter near the watches. There should be a display copy to leaf through.

Pete

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yep only can second that, Pete did a pretty good Job with the help and knowledge of a lot of the longtime Forumers, the Collectors and the infos from Doxa.

He also fighted for the full Version to be released, for all the "Newcommers" to the brand which haven´t had the luck to be part of the project and thus wouldn´t be able to get one of the review copy´s.

Without his strong will a lot of pictures and text passages would have been cut out, due to copyright issues.

I also have always one of the review copys in a reachable distance at my officedesk.

The Layout of the finished Version is much more professional, so Danny go and get you a copy or maybe two, it´s really worth it and there are some more chapters included which are not in the first review copy.

A great work of art at a fair price |>

Regards Bernie

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Guys thanks for the kind words on the book. Yep I'll still sign and or personalize any books for North America.

Did anyone who visited the new ADs see a book on the counter near the watches. There should be a display copy to leaf through.

Pete
Landmark doesn't have one, but they do have two preview copies to check out.

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Not at Back In Time (yet!) but then, their Doxa display hasn't arrived yet. For now, their Doxa's are in a case with their pre-owned collection (Omegas, Rolex's and Breitling's- in other words, the best watches in the store! :-d). I'm sure it'll be up when the display arrives (wonder where they'll put the display? Somewhere prominent I'll bet. They do seem happy to have the line!).

If it isn't when it does (does that sound coherent? :-d) I'll take mine to show them. Won't be able to keep them away from it once they've seen it!

·
Registered
533 Posts
So I have a funny side story relating to the book.

A few months ago, I contact the Doc about a personalized copy. Filled out the order form, late at night, and said "now all I have to do is put my CC# in the box and it's done" as my wallet was by my nightstand at this point. Well, for some reason I just figured I had done it. Somehow the window on my computer got closed and the book was never really ordered.

So here I am a few weeks or so ago thinking "it's been a while, I bet my book is almost ready." So I go to my mail program to get the order confirmation number so I can mail the Doc and get an estimate. I figure all good things come to those that wait and I was in no extreme rush.

I look in my mail folder....not there....look in my e-receipts folder....not there...... :-s I think to myself "I remember filling out the form and......DOHHHHH!!!!!!!!!" I never remembered to put the payment in the box and hit "order." :roll:

So I contact the Doc and I get it straightened up, this time I remembered to pay. :-d Should be here in a couple of days. So I just got to wait a little longer than most for my copy, no biggie. :-!

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
I remember a few people complaining a bit that the Doxa Book was too expensive. I always thought it was very reasonably priced, so I bought 2. I thought this might put it into perspective:-d:-d

Click HERE
The Doxa book is waaaay worth the price. An excellent collector's piece in itself. I find it absolutely fascinating. I keep it were it should be, on the coffee table, and I find myself consantly picking it up and re-reading it. Great photos too! I got mine signed by Dr. Pete. Nice work :-!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think anyone who buys a Doxa MUST buy the book too. Amazing insight into the Doxa brand.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Since we're talking about Pete's book.....Pete, are you still signing books that are sold here in N. America?

I'm planning on getting one signed for my son. He's only three now, but there will come a day. Perhaps the day that he receives his first scuba certification.:think:

How great would it be, to one day say "Hey son, congratulations on your certification. Your Mom and I have a little something that we put back just for this special day"

He opens a box and finds inside one of Pete's books personally signed to him, congratulating him on his accomplishment. He then digs a little deeper, and finds a silver aluminum tube. In that tube, a DOXA Pro perfectly NOS and just for him.

I know if my dad had done something like that when I was a newly certified diver, my spirits would have been flying so high that they'd still be circling the clouds.:)
And if he decides he just doesn't like water, you can just add it all to your own collection! You can't lose in that deal haha... :-!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I was one who felt that $80 was a ridiculous price for a book on watches. I was not enamored of my 600T at the time but since have added a Mil Sharkie. Since the good Dr Pete ofered to buy the first round, I figure the book MAY be worth it! lol

Anyway the photos and its use for reference is invaluable. And to the certain someone who offered to buy the book back from me and the 600T, nice try!

Thanks again Pete.

paul

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
As one who has been collecting books for over 30 years, buying The Doxa book was a No-brainer. I've spent the same on specialty books published 20 years ago with Black and white photos. Just do the math factoring in inflation and you see what a great deal this book is. On top of this I got a first printing signed by the author. If you go to any site that sells signed copies you'll see what a bargain this book is. I can't thank Dr Pete and Doxa enough for making this book available for such a great price:thanks.

Joe

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
And if he decides he just doesn't like water, you can just add it all to your own collection! You can't lose in that deal haha... :-!
I'm pretty sure that I don't have too much to worry about. Right now, he knows his marine animals better than he knows his land based critters and is constantly chattering about going scuba diving.

A few weeks ago, we're looking at a book together and it was about things you'd find at the market. There were the usual apples and oranges, but when I pointed to the picture of a mushroom and asked him what it was, he said "A jellyfish, Daddy!":-d:-d

He also has this orange astronauts outfit that he likes to wear from time to time. The only thing, to him it isn't an astronauts suit, it's his "sooba divews" suit.:-d

I think he's going to be just like his ol' man but if not, I guess I could learn to like football.:-d:-d

1 - 19 of 19 Posts