WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I collect Petrodvoretz watches (Raketa etc), and currently have about 200. I'm fairly new to this, so apologies in advance for some naive questions and bad terminology.

I have four "puzzle watches" which I'd appreciate any insights on.

1) A day/date model in which the main bridge of the movement is stamped "2614H" (as well as the Raketa logo), but 2614H is a date-only movement! Could this be a mis-naming, or is it likely that the bridge on a 2628H (day+date movement) has been transplanted from a 2614H?

2) A small watch with a Raketa logo on the dial, but a Vostok 2209 movement - huh? A transplant, or something else? The back of the case is also stamped "2209" (and is an unusual shape, tailored to the case), suggesting that this is not a transplant.

3) A TV-style watch with a 2628 (day+date) movement, but no day or date display. Is this likely to be a 2628 movement used as a transplant donor for a 2609HA etc, or is it a mis-stamped movement, or perhaps has just the bridge been transplanted?

4) Raketa logo on dial, but movement is a Zim. Transplant or original?

I can post photos of all of these if someone can explain how I do it!

Best,
Paul

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
post photos l please.Go to 'quote-reply' below to open a window then just click of attachments. You shal find the appropriate attachment to publish and how to do it, i am sure (If I did it, everybody can do it!!)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Petrodvoretz puzzles: Mystery #1

Hi Dedatos, OK, here goes. First a Day/Date model, but with the movement stamped "2614H". As you can see, the Day indicator is poorly aligned, but this is a common fault on 2628H's.

post photos l please.Go to 'quote-reply' below to open a window then just click of attachments. You shal find the appropriate attachment to publish and how to do it, i am sure (If I did it, everybody can do it!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts

Hello!
This watch is 'franken' because the bridge is used from another movement. By the way poorly aligned day indicator means that the watch needs extra attention from a watchmaker.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the second puzzle - Raketa dial, Vostok 2209 movement (also 2209 stamped on caseback). I've not seen any similar Raketa watches, so no idea what to make of this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mystery number three

OK, this one has a 2628H movement (at least, the bridge says 2628H!), but no day/date indicator.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Here's the second puzzle - Raketa dial, Vostok 2209 movement (also 2209 stamped on caseback). I've not seen any similar Raketa watches, so no idea what to make of this one.
The case and movemet belong to Vostok 2209. I suppose that somebody used a dial from TV raketa and put it into this watch.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mystery Number 4 - no mystery!!

Sorry, Mystery Number 4 turns out not to be a mystery after all. I thought it was a Zim movement, but Petrodvoretz logo is clearly visible. Only remaining question is over the movement type - 32YH?

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Re: Mystery number three

OK, this one has a 2628H movement (at least, the bridge says 2628H!), but no day/date indicator.
Same here as in case #1, the movement is made from several spare parts.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hi Shadow, that makes sense! So, just a "bridge transplant" then?

About the alignment, this is no problem - I've repaired this fault on several 2628's.
Many thanks!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Re: Mystery Number 4 - no mystery!!

Sorry, Mystery Number 4 turns out not to be a mystery after all. I thought it was a Zim movement, but Petrodvoretz logo is clearly visible. Only remaining question is over the movement type - 32YH?
hmm, where did you see that Petrodvorec logo? The marking on movement clearly says ZIM (Zavod im. Maslennikova - Maslennikov Watch Factory) and such caliber is used in POBEDA's (2602). By the way it seems to me that the case is from SVET/LIGHT watch... that was also produced by Petrodvorec Factory.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, that would make sense. I will have to do a little surgery and see if I can see signs of a dial transplant (eg, modified attachment-points to movement). The dial itself is unusual - not like any other Raketa (I have about 15 TV watches, but none with a similar dial), and numbers look badly printed.

Has anyone seen a complete Raketa watch with a similar dial?

The case and movemet belong to Vostok 2209. I suppose that somebody used a dial from TV raketa and put it into this watch.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Again, that makes sense - many thanks.

But another question: in situations like this, is it probable that the "hybrid" was made by an aftersales watchmaker? Or were some "hybrids" made at Petrodvoretz when they had a bad day? (I can imagine - they find that they have no 2609HA bridges, so they use 2628H bridges for one lot of watches). Which do you think is most likely?

Same here as in case #1, the movement is made from several spare parts.

·
Registered
533 Posts

that makes sense! So, just a "bridge transplant" then?
Correct.

But another question: in situations like this, is it probable that the "hybrid" was made by an aftersales watchmaker? Or were some "hybrids" made at Petrodvoretz when they had a bad day? (I can imagine - they find that they have no 2609HA bridges, so they use 2628H bridges for one lot of watches). Which do you think is most likely?
Those parts are interchangeable and some dishonest sellers (or their watchmakers) 'assemble' watches from anything they have.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Aargh! You're right, my eyes are playing tricks on me, and it is ZIM after all. So, this is a ZIM movement (2602?) in a Petrodvoretz case, yes?

If this is true, then presumably this is a franken?

By the way, many thanks for your quick answers! I have a million more questions, but it's good to have solutions to these mysteries.

hmm, where did you see that Petrodvorec logo? The marking on movement clearly says ZIM (Zavod im. Maslennikova - Maslennikov Watch Factory) and such caliber is used in POBEDA's (2602). By the way it seems to me that the case is from SVET/LIGHT watch... that was also produced by Petrodvorec Factory.

·
Registered
533 Posts

So, this is a ZIM movement (2602?) in a Petrodvoretz case, yes?

If this is true, then presumably this is a franken?
That's correct. Such timepiece is a usual 'representative' of a franken watch.

By the way, many thanks for your quick answers! I have a million more questions, but it's good to have solutions to these mysteries.
You're welcome!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I will have to do a little surgery and see if I can see signs of a dial transplant (eg, modified attachment-points to movement). The dial itself is unusual - not like any other Raketa (I have about 15 TV watches, but none with a similar dial), and numbers look badly printed.

Has anyone seen a complete Raketa watch with a similar dial?
Dunno about such raketa, but that's how original Vostok looks like. And few extra photos in comparision to raketa TV dial.

So I suppose that the Raketa dial at your watch was cut in order to fit to Vostok's case.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More mysteries!! I have removed the movement, and looked at the edges of the dial, where we expect to see it cut down. But no cut! The long edges of the dial are "stepped" (so, there is a 1mm strip along each edge is which is set back from the main face), and this "step" plus the edge of the metal are all painted red, like the main dial (even though they are not visible normally).

So, it doesn't look like a simple "cut". Also, the numbering on the dial is strange - not hand-painted, but looks like very cheap printing - not usual Raketa.

Dunno about such raketa, but that's how original Vostok looks like. And few extra photos in comparision to raketa TV dial.

So I suppose that the Raketa dial at your watch was cut in order to fit to Vostok's case.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

Interesting thread. I'm in the process of servicing this Raketa fitted with a 2609 movement. Just waiting for a new mainspring to arrive.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
it is rare that a raketa dial fitd to a boctok!
In addition it is a rare Boctok case.
In fact I believe this case is old and has initialy appeared with a MIR - yy3 dial.
dedatos

1 - 20 of 22 Posts