WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friends wife recently inherited a watch from her g'ma's passing. Knowing of my interest in watches and my partisipation here, he asked me to see what I could find out about this branding.

"Peugeot"

Can any of my fellow WIS help shine some light on this brand?
My friend did not even know what type movement it had in it, quartz or mechanical. He said "Maybe you have to wind it."

Anyone up to the challange?

Thanks in advance, Leo

·
Registered
25,164 Posts
Here in France, Peugeot is a car manufacturer :think:

and scooters too

Maybe a promotional watch ?

A thread here :
http://www.forum-peugeot.com/Forum/forum-peugeot/miniatures-accessoires/peugeot-montre-sport-sujet_32822_1.htm

A friends wife recently inherited a watch from her g'ma's passing. Knowing of my interest in watches and my partisipation here, he asked me to see what I could find out about this branding.

"Peugeot"

My friend did not even know what type movement it had in it, quartz or mechanical. He said "Maybe you have to wind it."

Thanks in advance, Leo

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Fairly common fashion watch in the 80s. I had one.
Some had Paul Peugeot, others had just Peugeot. One was before/after the company was sold (and went downhill) The company made good watches at one time, I think even with Swiss movements.

·
Registered
25,164 Posts
:-d

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yes, its a promo watch. I had seen several in the 80s and 90s.
I see many Peugeot cars around, better than anything GM or Ford have to offer, and definitely better quality (at the same price point).

·
Registered
2 Posts

"Peugeot"

Thanks in advance, Leo
Leo,

I purchased a "Peugeot" watch about 20 years ago. It is stainless steel, has the month, numerical day, day of the week and moon phase. Im not sure what the price was when I purchased it, but im going to guess it was under one hundred dollars. I wore it for a few years when I was younger, then put it in storage. I discovered it again recently it when I was looking for old family photo albums. The battery had died so I replaced it. Its running great, and looks great also. Im actually suprised at how well made it is and how great it is holding up. I know there is a european car and bike company which bears the same name, but I dont know if the companies are related.

This is the website: www.ppeugeot.com

I hope that was helpful in some way.

Tony Suriani Jr.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Haha, you just brought back some memories for me. I wore a Peugeot watch for a few years when I was a kid and had completely forgotten about it until now. It was a quartz Movado knock-off, basically. From what I remember about mine, it was just a basic fashion watch as far as quality is concerned. Nothing worthwhile, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
19,378 Posts
I used to ride bicycle and motocycle made by Peugeot, but never heard of Peugeot watches :-d

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Here in France, Peugeot is a car manufacturer :think:

[...]
I love how all the pictures you posted make Peugeot seem like a supercar manufacturer! :-d
From what little I know of Peugeot, they seem to like making affordable superminis, no?

·
Registered
25,164 Posts
I love how all the pictures you posted make Peugeot seem like a supercar manufacturer! :-d
From what little I know of Peugeot, they seem to like making affordable superminis, no?
;-) Not exclusively :-d

607 (this one is far from affordable ;-) )

But, yes, they also have tiny cars in their line ;-)
207 WRC

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've still got the Paul Peugeot my then-fiance (current wife) gave me 20 years ago. I had the case, crown, and bracelet replaced a few years back so it looks like new today. I rate it a nice looking, decent quality, cheap quartz watch with lots of sentimental value.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Sadly, their peppermills are better than their cars, though...
Which doesn't say that the cars are bad... I do not own a Peugeot peppermill, so I can't compare, but I had two cars (a 309 Diesel and a 405 Turbodiesel), and they were very good - but I'm afraid they have lost it since. They did break down occasionally (after all I did about 350000km with the 405 iirc, and it still would be going except a lady in a rush crashed into me), but nothing out of the ordinary. I now have a Lancia, and that one is constantly broken. But a nice car.

A while ago, almost every car brand used to produce a line of accessories, hats, bags, the usual stuff - and some made watches as well. Probably none of them were worth having, cheap customer-branded things, I don't know if there were higher quality products. However, that doesn't matter - I don't want a Peugeot or Lancia watch, just as I don't want a Seiko car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry for the Necrobump, but this thread came up in a google search, and for posterity sake I figured I'd leave this here from PeugeotWatches.com.

"In 1957 a watch maker lived in Northern Italy. His name was Paul Peugeot. He began by creating beautiful timepieces by hand from solid 18 carat gold. As time passed, so did his craft, with the price of gold reaching never before seen prices. Since then the brand has evolved and has taken a new direction. Peugeot quietly reinvented itself into a well-designed, high-quality watch line at affordable prices. The timepieces changed but the philosophy has remained the same. Quality and value are the key ingredients to a successful name.

And so, this strategy led to the formation of a new marketplace which later became known as fashion watches. The ability to translate high fashion trends into a watch line that appeals to customers with an eye on style and price has led to Peugeot's recognition as a proven successful American brand found in better department stores nationwide.
With over 5 million Peugeot watches sold over the past 20 years, Peugeot has established itself as a trusted name which stands for quality and value, with an industry leading Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Peugeot watches have been redefining fashion since 1957. At its inception, Peugeot was a manufacturer of luxury, handcrafted, gold timepieces. After a successful twenty five year run in the luxury category, rising gold prices and market changes dictated a new direction. Peugeot quietly reinvented itself into a well-designed, high-quality watch line at affordable prices. This strategy led to the formation of a new marketplace which later became known as fashion watches. The ability to translate high fashion trends into a watch line that appeals to customers with an eye on style and price has led to Peugeot's recognition as a proven successful American brand found in better department stores nationwide."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts