WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing relief :) I have just lost an ebay auction for an old model Frogman and to be honest...although I would of course have honouered my bid, it was a watch too far this month (Riseman, Protrek 1500, GW-M5600BC, GW-2000BD - just waiting on the last one to arrive).

This emotion is not the opposite of buyer's remorse I think...that would be buyer's anticipation or something...perhaps it is non-purchasing sanity :-!

Or actually...bidders guilt...partly for bidding for something I couldn't justify and partly driving up the price for the eventual purchaser.

Anyone else experience this rare emotion :think:

·
Registered
520 Posts
All the time! I mean honestly, how many watches do you really need? Simply one. How many watches do most of us on this forum own? More than one.

Every once in awhile it's good to let your conscience put the brakes on, that way you can always justify purchasing another watch later. Ha!

I am experiencing relief :) I have just lost an ebay auction for an old model Frogman and to be honest...although I would of course have honouered my bid, it was a watch too far this month (Riseman, Protrek 1500, GW-M5600BC, GW-2000BD - just waiting on the last one to arrive).

This emotion is not the opposite of buyer's remorse I think...that would be buyer's anticipation or something...perhaps it is non-purchasing sanity :-!

Or actually...bidders guilt...partly for bidding for something I couldn't justify and partly driving up the price for the eventual purchaser.

Anyone else experience this rare emotion :think:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Every once in awhile it's good to let your conscience put the brakes on, that way you can always justify purchasing another watch later. Ha!
That's exactly right. When we clearly demonstrate self-restraint by not buying a new watch, we justifiably merit rewarding ourselves later in some way - like buying a new watch, for example.

:-d

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well...I don't know about needing the one watch...I would say I need the following :-

Dressy watch x 1. I tend to accept that I can't wear a G Shock everywhere. I use an omega aquaterra for this.

Daily beater - whatever you prefer yourself but I like to have one digital and one analogue. I have a GW M5600BC for my digital beater and am waiting on a GW-2000BD for my analogue. Clearly I don't need both of these to fulfil this role.

Digital sport watches x 2 ; I referee rugby ; need two watches just in case one fails and also for timing sin bins and stuff. The M5600BC is not great at this as it doesn't have such a legible face in the outdoors.

So...I have changed around a few things (ditched the two cheapo digitals I was using_ and am probably more indulging in too much watch for the job (using a riseman and protrek 1500 as my refs watchs :-d) than indulging in too many watches. I could in other words get away with out one of my daily beaters...but not much more than that...so I guess I need 4 watches :-! I like my current choices in each role b-)

Actually I think I have just fixed my upper limit for watches that I own - 5 tops, and no more than that. I'm going to operate a one in one out rule from now on !

·
Registered
520 Posts
Actually I think I have just fixed my upper limit for watches that I own - 5 tops, and no more than that. I'm going to operate a one in one out rule from now on !
That's the spirit! Way to go. Doesn't it feel good to show a little restraint and set a few parameters to live by. Truly a sign of good judgement.

(I on the other hand plan to buy many, many more! Ha!)

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the spirit! Way to go. Doesn't it feel good to show a little restraint and set a few parameters to live by. Truly a sign of good judgement.

(I on the other hand plan to buy many, many more! Ha!)

Cheers!
LOL good stuff & go for it :-!:-!:-!

I'm gonna give quality over quantity a try for a bit :think:

·
Registered
596 Posts
One watch per month max for me from now on. Especially as I have just bought a GG Frogman and I have my eye on a Suunto Core this month.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think many have experienced this multiple times.. But the experience on the flip side is much more rare and interesting: Putting in a low and early bid and not expecting to win.. Only to have it go through!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Actually I think I have just fixed my upper limit for watches that I own - 5 tops, and no more than that.
Not enough. Seven is the right number. Buy two more watches.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not enough. Seven is the right number. Buy two more watches.
Yes sensai :-d

Are you working on the principle of days in a week ? Or is there a yin-yang reason I need to know about ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
...I have my eye on a Suunto Core this month.
Me too, a black and orange, of which I read you can swap out the strap for a black one.

But am concerned about the issues this model was/is having, wherein it either resets, jams and/or shuts down.

Seems at first like it is a battery issue, but a Suunto forum user thought its actually software related, but then found that static charges, such as what happens when he pulls off a fleece jacket, cause the watch to re-set.

At the beginning of this year he heard from Suunto that there had been a production defect that has been resolved.

The Suunto forum site admin posted on 3/13/09 the same info, production defect resolved and, supposedly the newest ones are issue free,these have serial numbers starting with 9 (for the year).

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Are you working on the principle of days in a week ? Or is there a yin-yang reason I need to know about ?
It's subject to an immutable law which I have recently revised. ;-)

It was 2 mechanical, 2 analogue quartz, 1 G-Shock, plus 2 on 'audition' to see if they could replace one of the 'five'.

It can take me a year to find out whether a watch is 'right', so I needed the elbow room of the two on audition. Without it, I would have faced losing a watch before I knew if its replacement was an improvement or not. It would also mean making the new watch experience a pretty rare event.

My modification is to have three mechanical and two analogue quartz with just one audition slot. This came about because I wasn't coming across any analogue quartz watches that I wanted, but dozens of mechanical watches.

The biggest danger with a system like mine or yours is the quest for novelty. The new watch will always seem more desirable than the old watch, until months down the line you find it wasn't...

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's subject to an immutable law which I have recently revised. ;-)

It was 2 mechanical, 2 analogue quartz, 1 G-Shock, plus 2 on 'audition' to see if they could replace one of the 'five'.

It can take me a year to find out whether a watch is 'right', so I needed the elbow room of the two on audition. Without it, I would have faced losing a watch before I knew if its replacement was an improvement or not. It would also mean making the new watch experience a pretty rare event.

My modification is to have three mechanical and two analogue quartz with just one audition slot. This came about because I wasn't coming across any analogue quartz watches that I wanted, but dozens of mechanical watches.

The biggest danger with a system like mine or yours is the quest for novelty. The new watch will always seem more desirable than the old watch, until months down the line you find it wasn't...
Utterly impeccable logic. 5 for now...and 2 auditioning pieces it is :-!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I've been wondering what you have in mind for that 7th spot, Tribe...:think:
Look back through my posts and you'll see that I have something on the way... ;-)

I have the non-existent 8th spot covered too. :)

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Really? Not sure how I could have missed that one...
It's a G-2500-3V, and I had given up on it. It was on sale at nywatchstore, and I bought it on impulse after finding it for another member. Trouble was, they didn't actually have it in stock. Their communication was good, but eventually they said they didn't know if they'd ever find one. Nobody else seemed to have one either, so that was that - until a couple of weeks later I did one final search.

I found two more in the USA, but one of the companies was notorious for not having anything in stock, and the other was asking too much. Several search pages later and I was down to foreign language sites - except for one - Stonewatches in Singapore.

Their web-site was reassuringly professional and it showed two in their warehouse. Click! Immediately after purchase, I went back to the product page - one in stock. That's more like it! Curiously, Stonewatches had it listed as 'New In April' - which explains why I hadn't found it in March - but also suggests it might have come from Casio as a clearance item. Maybe a few more will pop up that way. I'm currently refreshing the FedEx tracking details - like you do... ;-)

Why this one? It's an oddity, without stylistic antecedents or offspring. The asymmetrical design suggests a Frogman designer might have had a hand in it, but otherwise it's a one-off.

I'm a '-1V' sort of chap as a rule, but I wasn't keen on the bi-coloured display of the standard model. This one, with its drab green resin and amber display, has a subdued but distinctive appearance. The standard model (from memory) apeared in 2001, and I'm guessing that the 3V came along a year or two later. A slow but steady seller, I imagine.

Anyway, it should be with me before long (before the Easter shut-down would be good) and I'll post about it then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts