1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
I have a TouchTime on preorder through their KickStarter campaign, and it was supposed to be delivered November 2012. They've only started production in volume in December 2013, and they haven't yet started shipping them. It makes the Sistem51 delays look modest in comparison. All I can say is don't order anything from them that isn't in stock and ready to ship.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any idea on the face crystal? Mineral? Sapphire? Acrylic?

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Any idea on the face crystal? Mineral? Sapphire? Acrylic?
They don't really say, but I doubt it'll be sapphire, so probably mineral glass or acrylic.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could go with mineral, but i really don't like acrylic. Build quality seems to be on a level of Baby-G watches (the models that i look). But it's hard to say how it will look in real life even from Youtube where stuff is in motion.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
I'll let you know what I think when the watch eventually ships, hopefully soon.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've had one of the curved world time models for the last, eh, year or so. Doesn't get a lot of wrist time. I bought it more for the curiosity of an eInk display than anything else.

The build quality is okay. The "glass" on the curved model I have is not glass - it's acrylic - and it scratches as easily as you'd expect it to.

That said, it's a neat watch, and its as accurate as any middle-of-the-road digital can be. The only thing I really wish it had was a lume of some sort, as it's nearly impossible to read at night.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've sent them e-mail asking about:
- crystal types used on models that i like
- how long battery lasts when in normal time mode (not seconds display)
- what battery type they use

Hopefully i'll get all the answers. I'll post back when i get them.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still didn't get an e-mail reply, but i did find out the type of battery these Appear models use (found a photo on Facebook). It's CR2032 battery. The most common button type battery. Which is good, low cost, you can get it anywhere, means watches are cheap and easy to maintain.

Still can't decide between full covered dial with crystals and black (empty) numbers or a black empty dial with orange crystal numbers. Full covered looks nice when fully turned off and orange numbers look nice when enabled.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since i haven't got any info from the Phosphor company itself, i had to dig the info myself.

I've made a mistake. It's not the common CR2032, but a really really awkward CR3032. Which is really hard to find and when you do, it's a battery that costs from 8-12 GBP even on eBay. What on Earth made them decide for this weird battery type?! And one guy on eBay bought it and the battery died after 3 months. That kinda sucks...

Crystal used to protect the face of the Appear watches is Mineral Crystal. Found that on Amazon.

There were also other complaints over shoddy build quality and other quality issues like Swarovski crystals falling off the dial. I was really hyped up by the way these looked and felt on Youtube videos, but after doing more research, i just can't seem to be able to click the "Buy now" button on their webpage. Argh, this sucks...

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so i've ordered the Phosphor Appear White (MD013G) from Amazon UK. It'll be way cheaper than ordering it from US and then paying for all the customs nonsense. I figured i'll give it a try. Found some photos on the net to see how it's build inside and i guess i'll be able to replace the big and rare CR3032 with cheaper and more common CR2032 by fabricating an adapter myself. CR2032 has half the capacity but i can get them really cheap where i work and i can get them anytime. Unlike CR3032 which i'd have to order from abroad. If crystals fall off they will remain under the crystal anyway so i'll be able to reattach them myself. The case will be white and steinless steel so i'm not gonna care about PVD quality because there won't be any PVD coating. Crystals are for actual numbers only so it won't be too blingy and the contrast seems very good so it should be good time visibility as well.

All in all i'm looking forward to it. This will be the first proper novelty watch if i forget about the funky Casio Futurist. Will post more photos when i get the watch...

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Woohoo, it's on the way by DHL delivery. If i'm lucky, i might actually get it today before i go to work. So excited! :D

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Phosphor Appear White (MD013G)

So, some time ago i've come across watchmaker Phosphor (PHOSPHOR Watches - Cool Digital Watches - Touch Time Digital Watch, E Ink World Time Watch, E Ink Digital Hour Clock Watch, E Ink Digital Calendar Watch & E Ink Ana-Digi Watch ) pretty much by mistake. But i was instantly attracted by their watches. They don't have hundred years history of watchmaking, they don't make ultra complicate mechanical movements and they don't sell their watches for 5 digit prices. What attracted me to their watches was the way they display time. And it's nothing i've ever seen used on a wrist watch. I've only seen it on score boards and billboards. You can find more about it on Youtube and their webpage, but for now i'll just try to describe it in written words.

Their Phosphor Appear line of watches are digital, but not electronic with LCD display. They also aren't LED digital, because they display time all the time and you don't have to push any button to display time.
What's special about them is that they are mechanical digital. This means that each number on the watch is made of 7 segments that can then display any number from 0-9. Each segment has two states, blank and visible. And each segment rotates over its own axis to change states. These states are changed by tiny electromagnetic coils under the dial that rotate segments in order dictated by the IC inside the watch depending on what number it wants to display. And every time it does this, it makes a quite loud and distinctive noise which is nothing short of just as amazing as the constant ticking of the mechanical watches. You can check this noise on Youtube videos. It's really nice and i don't think it will bother me even in the evening when i'll go to bed.

Phosphor Appear watches come in several versions with different straps and bracelets. Girly models have entire dial covered in Swarovski crystals, bezel covered in same crystals and they come in more feminine colors of case and straps (red, pink, rose gold etc). Models for men don't have crystals on the bezel (though they do come in full dial covered in crystals) and they also come in version where only numbers are made of Swarovski crystals, making them less pimped out blingin'. It's still a bit flashy, but since i don't like being like a stereotypical pimp from a Hollywood movie, i prefer numbers only like you can see on the photos that i made.

Phosphor also makes E-Ink watches, which you can check out on their webpage if you want, but i wasn't interested in them because they mostly use acrylic crystals and just aren't so exotic as the Appear models. They do look very futuristic if you are looking for that kind of style.

Specifications (for MD013G model only!):
- mechanical digital display of time (display mode off, 12h time or seconds only)
- mineral crystal
- 22mm wide resin bracelet with stainless steel fold clasp with 2 push buttons
- 44,5mm case diameter and 14,7mm thickness
- 50m water resistant
- uses 1x CR3032 battery

Photos:

First impressions? I was somewhat skeptical because of few critics on Amazon and eBay, but now that i have it and can actually observe it from any angle and actually touch it, it's actually really good. Quality is exceptional as far as exterior and dial goes. No scratches, dust or other particles, no obvious flaws. I've decided for white version because it uses stainless steel bezel and clasp, because i just don't trust any PVD coating, so i'm expecting a long term durability with it despite all the scratches it might receive over time. Bracelet is really chunky and the resin material is glossy, but sort of screams "i'm soft". It's a hard resin plastic, but due to how it's made with round edges it actually gives the impression it's a soft material. And i really like that. It's a solid material so even if it'll ever get scratches, it will still be of the same color. The watch itself is not particularly heavy, but isn't light either. It's just about right to have a good feel of it but doesn't get in the way. Only thing worth mentioning is that it's quite tall, around 17mm (they say it's 14,3 but i've measured it from case back to crystal and it's around 17mm). Might be a problem to get it under a tight shirt or gloves, but it's not that bad really. Time is really well visible on my model because the contrast between black dial and crystals is pretty high and the crystals sparkle slightly under direct light, but not too much. Just about the right amount for my taste.

It's a techy novelty watch and while many here wouldn't approve it because it doesn't have hundreds of years of watchmaking history, it's an interesting piece of technology and thumbs up to Phosphor for using such innovative and unique way of displaying time. It's just so cool i can't describe it lol.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Phosphor Appear White (MD013G)

Who moved the thread into this place!? It doesn't even belong here with it's unique display... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Phosphor Appear White (MD013G)

I just got a Touch Time. I missed the kickstarter campaign so had to pay retail (minus $35 - just "chat" with the support folks).
I like it so far; only wish it had a second-hand. But it does have a stopwatch (and countdown timer) so it's only a minor inconvenience. I like the way you can select an "app" (calendar, stopwatch, calculator...) and it comes back when you unlock it from normal time display.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Old thread but just in case you're interested I have gutted this watch when it first appeared on the market:
PHOSPHOR APPEAR SWAROVSKI CRYSTAL MICROMAGNETIC MECHANICAL 2011
I have not seen any pictures of the movement anywhere on the web so I hope you like the details of the quirky magnets I posted.
It's a quality made watch but I prefer the steel and pvd versions to the nylon one which only has a thin steel bezel.
The Phosphor company went bust recently before being able to mass produce the ink watch.
Their website disappeared and nobody honors warranties anymore.
The battery issue is annoying as the huge cell lasts less than a year simply because the display (even if turned off by the user) reappears every 24 hours so you can't just store the watch in sleep mode in a drawer hoping to preserve battery life. No wonder the first lot they produced was called Reveal before renaming it to Appear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts