WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well, the £5 Volna improved no end having been gently cleaned with a spectacle wipe - probably far from ideal but i doubt if i made anything worse. still needs a dial replacement imo before I can realistically use the thing without it looking like a shed....

Now both sides of the dismantled 2627 movement showing the bridges / back plate and the front view with the re fitted mounting plate for the date ring - no point using the 2609 one as the longer pinions need to be used for correct dial placement within the case.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
It's a nice watch and a pity the dial is in such poor condition. Still, for £5, it's a great deal. I have always loved those Volna hands, especially that curvy red seconds hand. Beautiful.

If you're going to get rid of the dial anyway, you might want to try a more aggressive cleaning approach first to see if it can be salvaged. If you use a little rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip, you can probably clear away some of the dirt and debris -- though this will take any printing on the dial with it. If you stick to the perimeter, where most of the dirt is located, you'll lose the minute markers but not much else. Just stay away from that beautiful Volna logo, as you wouldn't want to wipe that away.

I got this Volna not too long ago (photo below) and you'll notice it's suspiciously missing the minute markers on the outside edge of the dial. I'm confident someone did exactly as I'm suggesting to you and aggressively cleaned the perimeter of the dial (for whatever reason, I've noticed that Volnas seem particularly apt to have lots of grime and staining on the outer edge of the dial, more so than most watches of this vintage). Does it take away some authentic touches from the original dial? Sure. But it also makes something unsightly much more presentable. Just an idea :)

Anyhow, whatever you choose, good luck!

FullSizeRender-64.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts