WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered the C Ward 40mm c60 white dial. First diver purchase and a little antsy to see how it fits. (good return policy so no sweat) I think i'd prefer it to be 38mm because of the bulk of a diver, even though the lug to lug is 47mm and I have a 60mm wide wrist.

Anyone have similar wrist dimensions who owns this watch, a rolex sub (40mm) or anything else of similar size. Would love to see! Appreciate all the help!

Also am I crazy to think a 38mm diver with an 18mm lug width would be the perfect fit on this sized wrist?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have a 7” wrist and here is my 40mm Oris. It’s fine, although I think 38mm might be even better. Don’t ignore height, too. A tall watch on a small wrist gets uncomfortable.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 7” wrist and here is my 40mm Oris. It’s fine, although I think 38mm might be even better. Don’t ignore height, too. A tall watch on a small wrist gets uncomfortable.

View attachment 16365838
Thank you! Looks good and yea 38mm could work as well. Doesn't seem to be a common size for a diver though. I suppose the black bay 58 got closer with the 39mm...perhaps a trend to come.

·
Registered
897 Posts
If you search for “38mm dive watch” you’ll find a few lists that have been compiled. I’ve done it myself. Rado, Chris Ward, Maen, and Certina are all options.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you search for “38mm dive watch” you’ll find a few lists that have been compiled. I’ve done it myself. Rado, Chris Ward, Maen, and Certina are all options.
Thanks! Wish Chris Ward had the white dial in 38! Maybe I should just wait and see if the spring brings new releases.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
I am very close to your measurement. Here is a 40mm Zelos Mako on my wrist, along with a couple C65s (slightly bigger than 40, I think around 41). I don't have a diver that is 38, but the second last one is vintage non diver at 38 and the orion is 39.
Watch Analog watch White Azure Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

Watch Hand Analog watch Arm Photograph
Watch Hand Analog watch Arm Clock

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
I have puny 6.25" wrist and a 41mm SMP looks just fine.
For dress watches or watches without a bezel, 38mm definitely looks better, but a dive watch (especially with decent lugs) is meant to be bigger.
I've tried Chr Ward Tridents at 42mm and 38mms and found 38mm Trident too small, while 42mm was fine (a bit tall)
Watch Analog watch Hand Arm Azure
Watch Analog watch Arm Gesture Clock
Watch Cloud Sky Analog watch Atmosphere
Watch Arm Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

·
Registered
446 Posts
42ish Orient on my 7 inch. Lug to lug is more important than diameter in my book. This is 46.5 if I remember correctly.
Wears more like a 40mm and thinner than its specs.
Watch Analog watch Gesture Finger Clock

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have 6.8" wrist. From top view, it is 2.25" cross. However, my wrist is not flat, but rounded/oval. I don't know how to define the top width.

Everyone talks about lug-to-lug not overhanging, which I agree with. This is looking at wrist shot.

Another factor I think people rarely talk about is arm and body size. To me, 38mm watch look kind of small and not a good match to my arm and body. I like 40-42mm, which I think is a better fit for my body. And this cannot be seen on wrist shot. Need to look at the watch and body in full size mirror.

And the design of the watch also matters. Most divers are beefy with decent size lugs, which make the lugs appear shorter. And some Seikos have short lugs by design. These watches are easier to fit.

On other hand, some smaller watches have long, narrow lugs. See last example below. These actually do not fit as well.

You really need to wear the watch in person to see how well it fits. Hard to go by measurement alone.

41mm diameter watch. Typical diver, so the lugs do not stand out in proportion to the watch. Very easy to fit for my wrist:
Watch Cat Analog watch Gesture Carnivore

42mm diameter, super wide body with the curtain style case. But short lug-to-lug 45mm. Also very easy to wear:
Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Watch accessory

Someone posted picture of Red Orient Kamasu above. This is my blue one. 42mm diameter:
Watch Water Hand Photograph Sky

This is 39mm diameter. It has more vintage style, so the lugs are narrow and long. The lugs do not extend out over the width of my wrist. But because my wrist is more rounded and not flat, you can see that lug ends kind of stand out (there is a gap from lug to my skin). This is my smallest diver in terms of diameter, but it actually doesn't fit as well as other larger watches shown above:
Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

·
Registered
22 Posts
7" on the dot. Official measurement on watch is 39.5mm
Watch Hand Analog watch Arm Azure

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Wrist

1 - 18 of 18 Posts