WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Central Watch @ Grand Central Terminal does but selection is limited. Other places in the area? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I've only been able to find Nato style straps at Grand Central. Sadly, the selection is indeed limited, expensive and the sales staff uninformed and a little unfriendly.

I visited the place because of its reputation. When I got there, I asked about NATO straps and got a blank stare until who presume to be the owner told the sales attendant to check the bag labeled Nato's. None of the straps offered were NATO's, though, just zulus. Because I didn't want to head back empty handed, I chose a blue striped zulu. The sales attendant offered to change the straps. I handed her my Sinn and she struggled with removing the NATO. I took it back and swapped both straps. I wouldn't have minded if they didn't make me feel like a pest, asking about the selection and whatnot. I asked about the NATOs on display and was told that they were not for sale. The prices are also higher than higher quality straps that can be found online. The blue zulu I picked up was 27 bucks. It is comfy, though, but premium Natos with hardware options can be had for nearly half at Crown and buckle. If you do decide to come, bring cash -- there are ATMS nearby -- because they don't accept card. :\

There's another option, but I haven't found the store yet. Apparently you can buy decent NATO straps at the Fossil store in Manhattan. So far my experience with watch shops in Manhattan has been subpar, but I did rather enjoy visiting the Omega boutique at 5th Avenue. Superb service!

Reactions: Dave8

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
NATO straps do not exist outside of our online universe. Just kidding, but it feels that way sometimes. Leffot in the West Village sells pricey Horween leather NATOs but I have never seen plain old nylon ones at a store.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I've only been able to find Nato style straps at Grand Central. Sadly, the selection is indeed limited, expensive and the sales staff uninformed and a little unfriendly.

I visited the place because of its reputation. When I got there, I asked about NATO straps and got a blank stare until who presume to be the owner told the sales attendant to check the bag labeled Nato's. None of the straps offered were NATO's, though, just zulus. Because I didn't want to head back empty handed, I chose a blue striped zulu. The sales attendant offered to change the straps. I handed her my Sinn and she struggled with removing the NATO. I took it back and swapped both straps. I wouldn't have minded if they didn't make me feel like a pest, asking about the selection and whatnot. I asked about the NATOs on display and was told that they were not for sale. The prices are also higher than higher quality straps that can be found online. The blue zulu I picked up was 27 bucks. It is comfy, though, but premium Natos with hardware options can be had for nearly half at Crown and buckle. If you do decide to come, bring cash -- there are ATMS nearby -- because they don't accept card. :\

There's another option, but I haven't found the store yet. Apparently you can buy decent NATO straps at the Fossil store in Manhattan. So far my experience with watch shops in Manhattan has been subpar, but I did rather enjoy visiting the Omega boutique at 5th Avenue. Superb service!

Otto, across the street is Henri Buhler of Swiss Watch Repair. He's actually very nice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hodinkee has a physical shop?

27 bucks from Grand Central? I'm not spending that much on a NATO not made from leather.

Ill check the
Fossil store in Manhattan but can't imagine the straps being quality.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Anyone near here:

56 West 47th Street

If so, why don't you scope it out and report back.

Try to take a few photos to post - inside and out.

OK?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Your best bet would just be to come over and raid my watch drawer. I have 20s, 22s, even two 24s, NATO, Zulu, Maratac, crown and buckle, solid colors and stripes. I have more than enough to gift a fellow WUSer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your best bet would just be to come over and raid my watch drawer. I have 20s, 22s, even two 24s, NATO, Zulu, Maratac, crown and buckle, solid colors and stripes. I have more than enough to gift a fellow WUSer.
PM sent.

pithy
is there anything in particular you are looking for at those locations? I can probably check them out this weekend.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
. . . . pithy is there anything in particular you are looking for at those locations? I can probably check them out this weekend. [/COLOR]
I've always been curious just how deep DRS went into watchmaking supplies. They got a couple of bands/straps in their catalog. Same with Star Findings. There just has to be some treasure troves in the Diamond District. Simply a matter of ferretting them out.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I've always been curious just how deep DRS went into watchmaking supplies. They got a couple of bands/straps in their catalog. Same with Star Findings. There just has to be some treasure troves in the Diamond District. Simply a matter of ferretting them out.
The diamond district is a city within itself. There are deals to be had if you're not being scammed or taken advantage of.

Reactions: Dave8

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The diamond district is a city within itself. There are deals to be had if you're not being scammed or taken advantage of.
True of a lot of places in Manhattan. You have to be knowledgeable of what your looking at and good at haggling. Be wary of fake watches, fake jewelry, fake clothing and accessories, fake fragrances, the list goes on.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Just checked Fossil Website and they have nice straps, never been in the store.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Just checked Fossil Website and they have nice straps, never been in the store.
They have a decent looking collection with a variety of colors. I've read that they are thinner than the ones we usually buy online, though, so they may feel flimsier. That said, I haven't owned one, so I can't really comment about their quality. Still, I would like to see some in person.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts