WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I have been offered a vintage Piaget watch for €600 but no idea how to know if fake or real. Woudl anyone have an opinion based on pictures attached- its supposed to be 18ct gold 1960s with just the strap changes from original. No warranty card with it but can see serial number etc. I love the watch as have a slim wrist sand this is 5mm depth and 34mm case size. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
The photos are really terrible. That said, the one thing that stands out the most is the SS back, which would usually go with a gold-plated or gold-filled case. So unless you see a hallmark on the case, I suspect that it is not 18k. I would not want to make any statements about authenticity without sharper photos. If those were provided by the seller, you might wonder why he gave you such blurry and out-of-focus photos.

Unless I'm mistaken, the movement appears to be a Peseux 320/325, which is often used in fakes. However, I suppose it's possible that Piaget used them; maybe you can research that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks Dan- I had asked for better photos and received just now these attached which show a cog stamped Piaget.

Seller also messaged:
Thanks for the reply. Attached 4 photographs with clear PIAGET signs on the the movement and inside back case.
18ct gold filled watches tend to have stainless steel backs, pure gold are gold throughout. This is gold filled as per the description.
There is no warranty card on a watch of this age.
In addition, Piaget of this quality command high prices, check out chrono 24.

s-l1600 (12).jpg s-l1600 (11).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg

·
Registered
41,244 Posts
I wonder if he has any swamp land for sale as well?
Many thanks Dan- I had asked for better photos and received just now these attached which show a cog stamped Piaget.

Seller also messaged:
Thanks for the reply. Attached 4 photographs with clear PIAGET signs on the the movement and inside back case.
18ct gold filled watches tend to have stainless steel backs, pure gold are gold throughout. This is gold filled as per the description.
There is no warranty card on a watch of this age.
In addition, Piaget of this quality command high prices, check out chrono 24.

View attachment 13659391 View attachment 13659389 View attachment 13659387

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes hence me asking here. I currently wear a Swatch skin watch and my wife wants to buy me a watch post wedding, thin wrist so thin smaller diameter classy 1960s/1970s like this would fit the bill but not being a watch expert and be fairly aware how scammy things can be, thought I would ask opinions first from the fine folk here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without taking too much of your valuable time - i'm sure many on here ask this what would be the 3 main things that scream ........ at you?

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
Someone posted a fake JLC on omegaforums the other day with the same movement and "LECOULTRE" engraved in the movement (https://omegaforums.net/threads/fake-jlc.85324/), so the PIAGET in the movement doesn't convince me of anything. Also, the continually blurry photos are really disconcerting. If it were me, I would just move on. However, perhaps there is a member that has more specific knowledge about PIAGET (which I do not). I would have expected an in-house movement, but perhaps during this era, Piaget's quality had degraded and they were making some entry level GF pieces with outsourced ebauches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks both.

yes the movement appears to be a Prisma PESEUX 320 - F7-08 which is odd for a brand like this unless they had some real quality issues during that period. Also the Piaget branding on the cog rather than the bridge is pretty suspicious. I guess below is much more reflective of a Piaget movement- see the quality difference.

1.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
The good news is that smaller watches are less desirable these days because of modern tastes, so you will be able to get a really excellent 34mm watch for a relatively low budget.

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
Thanks Dan- hopefully! would you recommend anywhere in particular from an online perspective?
There's no single place that I could really recommend, but if you give a bit more information about your preferences, I think the members will try to be helpful. For example, your approximate budget for the watch, and any other stylistic preferences. What is important to you?

Apparently you are looking for a simple classic thin dress watch. Is gold your preference, or would you consider steel? White dial? Must it be round, or are there other shapes that you like? That kind of thing ... Is this something only for special occasions (in which case, a golf-filled piece in good condition would be fine), or for more regular wear (a solid gold or steel case would be recommended). So tell us a bit more, and you will get richer advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks I think under E1000 / $1200 as would realistically be max max, more comfortable around E750/$950. Do a lot of hiking so always had a Swatch skin but my new wife would like to buy me something nicer and I agreed that an everyday watch that would look better at work too would be great. I have a citizen eco drive I got for 21 that I can wear more formal events if needed (not that often) As I have a slim wrist was drawn to 34-36mm sizes and as i dont have tons of money for a very nice brand new swiss slim watch I was drawn to vintage selection. It does not have to be gold but would like discreet whilst classy, the art deco style of the fake Piaget I posted was quite nice. So I guess a round discreet but classy 34-36mm from a good brand would be ideal :) No problem for me if its battery or self wind.

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
It would be helpful if you posted photos of other watches that appeal to you. How does something like this look to you? It's a 35.5mm 18k pink gold Longines with an asking price of $750. You could find similar watches from other brands, like Omega, etc. One thing I'm trying to get at is whether you can tolerate a seconds hand, and if so, would you prefer a center second or sub-second. I assume you'd like a very simple dial like this, and simple hands with no lume.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gentlemens...h=item260a9d6291:g:7qoAAOSwLKhb9cBF:rk:6:pf:0

s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
hardtrad...Hello!

Here's a very quick opinion on this watch: whatever the Seller's asking...it's too much!

I tend not to comment on another's choices--to each, their own--but I've seen several 'Piaget' wristwatches that look just like this, and the quality of movement is absolutely unexceptional. Really. To my eye--and in my opinion-- this is average-grade at best, and certainly should not be looked-upon as anything even remotely approaching High-Grade.

You'll see similar pieces everywhere...well-known Names on the dial / low-grade movements inside. OUCH. SILLY.

There are many, many nice-quality Swiss watches out there that are fairly priced / in excellent shape / and use excellent movements.

Do a bit of research and seek them out. You'll be glad you did!

Michael.

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Many thanks Dan for the generosity of your time- all those above fit the bill well so will have a think about those and look for similar!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts