WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
In my humble opinion, I think that this watch is better this way though I certainly would not refuse a new one. Both beautiful but this one does it for me.
Congratulations and hope you have many years of enjoyment with it.
Be safe, Frank.

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
14,047 Posts
Three wonderful features on that specific DB Cossie make it really stand out from the crowd... The Gold bezel and hands, the dark blue beautiful dial and the 3rd wheel in the chrono train being brass. What a terrific acquisition!! :-! Congratulations and wear it in the best of health!! |>
Best,
Ron

And yes, I definitely think you made the right choice over the B02 Cossie. You will never lose money on the DB should you decide not to pass it on one day... ;-) :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the nice comments.

Can other cal 12 owners give me some pointers on the movement. I have not been able to find online instructions. How many times should I wind it? It feels pretty tight after about 5-10 rotations. Also how do I reset the second hand? And most importantly, how do I avoid breaking it. Thanks, any tips are appreciated.

Im still trying to figure out how to tell time with this one!

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,111 Posts
G'day,

Its great to see a fine time piece find a home with a caring owner.

Your watch has about a 40hour power reserve once fully wound. If it feels tight after 10 or so turns its not really lost much reserve at that point. Put the watch on in the AM after winding until you feel it tighten up. Do not wind until the next morning at the same time. Note the number of turns. Aim to have a 24hr interval between winding expecting to wind about the same number the next time. See how you go with that routine. You'll soon get the feel.

Your chronograph runs the central second hand, 30minute accumulator at '3' and 12hr accumulator at '6'. The constant second runs at the '9' sub dial. To reset the chrono second hand stop the chronograph by pressing the button at '2' then reset the hands by pressing the button at '4'. So the cycle goes - press '2' to start, press'2' to stop, press'4' to reset. You can stop and restart with repeated presses of '2' if you want to accumulate consecutive time intervals before a complete reset to zero. There are two cycles of the 12hr subdial per 24hr period if you need to run the chrono over and extended period of time and obviously 2 cycles of the 30min subdial per hour accumulated on the 12hr subdial. A 60sec interval is observed with the centre second hand and is accumulated to the 30min subdial with 2 cycles per hour accumulated to the 12hr subdial.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you SnapIT,

regarding the second hand on the 9 o'clock subdial. When I pull out the crown to set the time it does not stop, making it hard to set the exact time. I noticed that if I turn the crown counterclockwise the second hand will stop momentarily.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Beautiful watch. I love that color combo! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
14,047 Posts
Thank you SnapIT,

regarding the second hand on the 9 o'clock subdial. When I pull out the crown to set the time it does not stop, making it hard to set the exact time. I noticed that if I turn the crown counterclockwise the second hand will stop momentarily.
That is absolutely correct. You'll develop a knack for "hacking" the watch with a bit of practice. The idiosyncrasy is simply a characteristic of the Lemania 1877 (24 hour geared 1873) movement. :)
Best,
Ron

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to this forum. Recently had my dad's Breitling restored by Dimitrie Vicovanu at Master of Time in NYC. He describes the watch as a 30 minute and 24 hours chronograph, stainless steel ref # 809/case # 1088626. 17 jewels shock proof incabloe. Movement Venus 178-TJ. Cosmonaute is on the dial below Geneve. He believes the watch to be from approximately !945. Any ideas as to the age of this lovely time piece?

·
Registered
11 Posts
New to this forum. Recently had my dad's Breitling restored by Dimitrie Vicovanu at Master of Time in NYC. He describes the watch as a 30 minute and 24 hours chronograph, stainless steel ref # 809/case # 1088626. 17 jewels shock proof incabloe. Movement Venus 178-TJ. Cosmonaute is on the dial below Geneve. He believes the watch to be from approximately !945. Any ideas as to the age of this lovely time piece?
Serial number 1088626 says it has been manufactured around 1966. Please share some pictures with us.
http://www.breitling-museum.com/Breitling-Serial-Numbers.html
I own one of these beauties, too. 3rd series 809 from 1969... great watch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts