WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just lucky enough to have won a Vintage Citizen on Fleabay - completely NOS, model 8200A-288243-KY. I know nothing much about it, but add a $10 strap and it should look the goods.

There were 5 of these going on eBay, all went for under AUD$20 so it seems cheap enough to me but then again I am only a newbie at this whole watch collecting thing. For reference, this was my item link.

If anyone has one or any information on it this model - movement inside, date of manufacture etc, then I would gladly love to hear what f21 has to say about it! Even suggestions about a strap would be gladly accepted!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I'd say that looks a lot more like corrosion, not "tarnish". You should clean that off immediately.

It is an "Eagle 7" model, which was the Citizen rival to the "Seiko 5" line. It should be using a Miyota 8200 movement, which became Citizen's standard automatic movement. The movement first showed up around 1975, and was the defacto movement for them by the end of the 70s.

The serial on yours is 1101406. The first "1" is the end number of the year of production, so either 1971 or 1981. Yours is also marked "Water Resistant", so it was produced after 1970 (just good to know, not really helpful here). So, a total guess would be it was made in October of '81, and was the 1406th unit produced that month.

Reactions: Monsta_AU

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Topher, excellent post and very interesting info. If it is 1981 then it is only a couple of years younger than I.

Unfortunately it does look like corrosion, I will have a look at it when it arrives and clean it up. Any suggestions on method and/or products to use?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Well, it should brush off fairly easily. You could use a little baking soda and a toothbrush and some tap water. Just go easy on the water, as you don't know how water resistant it still is. For the money you have in it, you may just want to clean it and then recolor it with a permanent marker to sort of match the black so any discoloration isn't all that noticeable. Then install that strap you have for it and you're good to go! It may or may not need a service, but again, for what you have in it just get it going...set it...and wear it :) Servicing it would cost way too much for what it's worth. Eventually, if you find it's just unreliable it can be a guinea pig for you if you want to learn how to take out crystals, change hands etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts