WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking for a nice vintage watch for my wife.. When I asked her, she wanted a pink colored watch. I of course wouldn't want to settle for less, so I chose to look for a vintage solid rose gold watch and it is now down to 2. I will post the pictures of the watches (which are not my property in any way) that are being sold on ebay. So here's the first:

Eberhard & Co Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Doxa
Watch Fashion accessory Copper Jewellery Metal

now... Eberhard pros:
1. More prestigious than Doxa as they command higher prices on the market
2. Slightly bigger than the Doxa at 17mm compared to 15mm
3. Easier to read the time though dial is a question..

Doxa pros:
1. Looks like it's on a better condition.
2. Dial seems to be original.. Not sure if the Eberhard is redialed or just plain dirty
3. Seems more "rosey" than the Eberhard which was described as rose gold but looks more like yellow gold.

Anyone else can help me by pointing out things I may not be seeing? Also the price is almost the same and is not that much (sub $500).

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
To be honest.. buy her a michael kors, armani or calvin klein..

cant imagine, that she will be satisfied with such a tiny, old fashioned watch. i really cant imagine, she had these watches in mind, when you talked to her about watches.
???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi I am looking for a nice vintage watch for my wife.. When I asked her, she wanted a pink colored watch. I of course wouldn't want to settle for less, so I chose to look for a vintage solid rose gold watch and it is now down to 2. I will post the pictures of the watches (which are not my property in any way) that are being sold on ebay. So here's the first:

Eberhard & Co View attachment 12401733

Doxa
View attachment 12401745

now... Eberhard pros:
1. More prestigious than Doxa as they command higher prices on the market
2. Slightly bigger than the Doxa at 17mm compared to 15mm
3. Easier to read the time though dial is a question..

Doxa pros:
1. Looks like it's on a better condition.
2. Dial seems to be original.. Not sure if the Eberhard is redialed or just plain dirty
3. Seems more "rosey" than the Eberhard which was described as rose gold but looks more like yellow gold.

Anyone else can help me by pointing out things I may not be seeing? Also the price is almost the same and is not that much (sub $500).
I'm a woman who loves vintage/old watches. I, personally would go for a known name such as Bulova or Elgin. I've not heard of either watch you're showing and in that price line, you can get her a 14k solid rose gold Bulova for easily half the price. One thing I do want to point out is that I like all numbers, rather than slashes. Might want to pick her brain and/or have her choose!! Just my two cents.. good luck!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest.. buy her a michael kors, armani or calvin klein..

cant imagine, that she will be satisfied with such a tiny, old fashioned watch. i really cant imagine, she had these watches in mind, when you talked to her about watches.
I do not know if you're trolling me or not. I do not want to sound rude, but you're stereotyping all woman as fashion freaks and that's not a good thing. My wife like I do am not interested in fashion brands, if we buy something like watches, we'd like real manufacturers not some house brand name that rebrands generic products with their brand and sells them off for $$$$

·
Registered
570 Posts
If she really likes such tiny watches, leave that Doxa and Eberhard behind, and go for Elgin, Longines or something from Germany, Pforzheim. The cases are mostly more interesting, and the movements are also from good quality.

The market for tiny women watches is dead, and this is your chance. Sure, the dealer want more for a Longines, Elgin.. but; you can negotiate, and I am sure, you will get them. because: They exactly know, if they don't sell the watch now, they will keep it for years.. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I found the Doxa listing and it does bother me that none of the pictures show the gold content. There should be an 18k somewhere, be it on the back, it isn't.. or inside the case. The strap where it's through the end is green, definitely not solid gold. Being listed as yellow gold and looking so pink is a bit odd as well with the strap having a different color (again green underneath). The top one is pretty though seems to have discolor on the face and as I mentioned in first post, I like seeing all the numbers :). I'd keep looking, tbh. Vikki

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
Just a thought for you. My wife likes to wear a vintage men's Omega that I gave her. Smaller men's watches are a tremendous bargain, if you consider the quality of the watch that you can get for the money. It will not be as feminine as the watches that you have shown, but you could potentially find a watch with decorative lugs. The quality of the watch will probably be higher all around, it will be easier to read the time, and you won't be completely throwing your money away in terms of resale. Really this is a matter of taste, however.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the help people

·
Registered
778 Posts
The Doxa is pretty nice.
Eberhard is a great watch house (seriously? Armani? OMG), but this particular model is not so fascinating.

I don't know your bugdet, but with a little bit of luck you can find something more "prestigious" like Omega or Longines, with a little expense.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My own two cents; I'm shopping around for watch for my wife, too. She has made it clear she wants a watch with standard lugs for a strap/bracelet, not the dainty things women's watches used to come with. There are plenty of "ladies" Omegas in that category, for example. Also, a lot of vintage tanks are small enough for her very small wrists.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My own two cents; I'm shopping around for watch for my wife, too. She has made it clear she wants a watch with standard lugs for a strap/bracelet, not the dainty things women's watches used to come with. There are plenty of "ladies" Omegas in that category, for example. Also, a lot of vintage tanks are small enough for her very small wrists.

I don't think you could go wrong with a tank watch, especially the ones with "Cartier" on it :))

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just a thought for you. My wife likes to wear a vintage men's Omega that I gave her. Smaller men's watches are a tremendous bargain, if you consider the quality of the watch that you can get for the money. It will not be as feminine as the watches that you have shown, but you could potentially find a watch with decorative lugs. The quality of the watch will probably be higher all around, it will be easier to read the time, and you won't be completely throwing your money away in terms of resale. Really this is a matter of taste, however.
My thoughts exactly. I think there's a huge opportunity for women to buy vintage smaller sized men's watches at great prices. A smart retailer should be taken advantage of this. Something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My thoughts exactly. I think there's a huge opportunity for women to buy vintage smaller sized men's watches at great prices. A smart retailer should be taken advantage of this. Something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's actually a good thing for me and my wife as we can both share our watches :)

here's what I'm wearing now, 1967 Bueche Girod 22mm watch
Fashion accessory Wrist Watch Hand Jewellery

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Just my thoughts from my experiences with my wife. Give her the money, and let her pick it out her self. That is the only way she will really get the watch she wants! To me, watches are a very personal accessory, that says something about the person. You have the thoughts all ready from one woman. I would listen to what she said! They really do think differently then a guy does. My experience, any woman will appreciate the fact that she was the one to pick out the watch, it will mean much more to her.

Reactions: jimdon5822

·
Registered
488 Posts
The smaller mens watches from the 30-40's are great for women today as they are not to small or to big.
This is a never sold watch I got from a retired watchmaker he found in his family shop.
Not sure if my wife would appreciate vintage watch. Usually old time piece needs extra care, even if it is NOS.
Women are more practical wearers, not as we (men) are - watch enthusiasts and collectors.
So, if the watch is a vintage piece, it should be overhauled and weaterproof certified.
I'd prefer top brands like Longines, Omega, Tutor. Or any modern model she would like.
But it is only my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you know your wife. :)

That said, a link to the two listings would be helpful so we're not just trying to offer advice based on one photo each.

Also, what are the other requirements? (size/price/age)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts