WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving car almost whole day (Birthday Beer Hunt) and was staring at one of my DW-8300's on my wrist. I thought it would be nice to make a pic of all my "Heavy Metal's". I thought Hoochy would like it. Others probably too, as I do myself like these big G's.

Enjoy:

Inspired by Freediver's old signature:

Cheers,

Sjors

Lyrics from "The Martini Bros":
"She likes to rock with the boys, She likes the dirt and the noise, she like the drugs and the drinks, she's Heavy Metal!
I like the way she behaves, she turns the men into slaves, she's an angel from Hell, She's heavy metal!"

·
Registered
472 Posts
Cool! I love pics!! I've got to get me one of those "heavy metals". What's the history on that model? How long ago did they cease production?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Cool photos of some really cool watches, Sjors!! b-) :p |>

Is the case on that model bigger than the DW-6600/6900? If so, how much bigger is it? ;-)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I must have one of those!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool! I love pics!! I've got to get me one of those "heavy metals". What's the history on that model? How long ago did they cease production?
Hi Tseely,

The DW-8300 was released in 1996. I think it was produced for one year as a basic model, maybe even two. It is HUGE. Maybe that's the reason you found so big numbers in Germany actually. I can imagine the model wasn't popular in Japan, because it would look like a log on the smaller Japanese arms. Around 2000 this model was pretty easily found for scratch in Germany. It was released under the name "Heavy Metal". Because in the first Stargate SG-1 TV series this watch was worn by the crew, it's also known as "Stargate", though now the crew wears a Suunto (Vector?).

The model was also released as a basic model in the US.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Great pics thanks Sjors!

There is something about the retro style chunky G-Shocks that I love and I don't know why!

I'd even take one of those over a Frogman!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Awesome watches. I'm on the phone to Casio UK as I type, ordering a new bezel screw (amongst other things) to make mine whole again.

Rusty

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Tseely,

I can imagine the model wasn't popular in Japan, because it would look like a log on the smaller Japanese arms.
Thats a good way of describing it Sjors:-! I've been wondering the same thing about the frogmen. I've never seen a Japanese person wearing one.

Its a really cool set you've got. I really like the the metal faced models and as hoochy says they have cool retro style about them.
Watch number three. b-)

Steve

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Is the case on that model bigger than the DW-6600/6900? If so, how much bigger is it? ;-)
Hi Schuey,

I took this pictures for you this afternoon:

With my Frogman:

My DW-6900 in winter time;-) Here you see the dimentions are almost the same. When put on eachother, the DW-8300 sticks out a little at the corners, because the DW-6900 is more rounder, but.....

here you can see the real difference. It's pretty much thicker (18mm in stead of 16mm) and looks moor beefy.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Those are really nice!
I've never noticed it before, but they have "tabs?" on either side that holds it in place?

I've never seen one "in the flesh" so to speak. Only in pics. Do those tabs work real well?

My watches always seem to want to travel around my wrist.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the photos, Sjors! |>

I thought that they might be about the same size, but it was hard to tell without actually seeing them side-by-side. Your photos are very helpful.. :-! ;-)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Tseely,

The DW-8300 was released in 1996. I think it was produced for one year as a basic model, maybe even two. It is HUGE. Maybe that's the reason you found so big numbers in Germany actually. I can imagine the model wasn't popular in Japan, because it would look like a log on the smaller Japanese arms. Around 2000 this model was pretty easily found for scratch in Germany. It was released under the name "Heavy Metal". Because in the first Stargate SG-1 TV series this watch was worn by the crew, it's also known as "Stargate", though now the crew wears a Suunto (Vector?).

The model was also released as a basic model in the US.

Cheers,

Sjors
Thanks Sjors! You are the true G-Shock expert. That's some very interesting info, by the way. I've never been a big Stargate fan but that watch would definitely fit in. Thanks again :thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts