WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These pics represent a partial inventory of several huge tubs of watches (some working, most not), watchmaking tools, books, manuals, catalogs, and thousands of watch parts, crystals, etc. Overall, it took the entire back portion of my '03 Explorer to haul all of it home. For this stuff I paid $150.00. I thought it was a good deal. However, I know next to nothing about what constitutes useable parts, etc., So, I may have paid for a whole load of interesting, but useless stuff. Looking at the pics, do you guys think I did okay? I can't really even begin to list everything. There are literally thousands of crystals alone, mostly in their original sleeves and amazingly mostly unbroken (there are true crystal crystals and acrylic crystals), hundreds of bags and containers of tiny parts, boxes of loose parts, boxes of watches (Swiss, Russian, English, French and 'mall' watches) that include one old Omega, three Vostoks, an Orvis, a Vulcain, myriad Bulova, Helbros, Elgin, Gruen, Seiko, Timex, Citizen, etc., plus two Baby Ben alarm clocks, two Swiss made travel alarm clocks, a big box of pocket watches and dials/parts, Elgin service manuals from the 50s and 60s, GS and Electro crystal catalogs from 50s and 60s, a Seiko parts manual from 1972, various advertising brochures from the 70s, a Hamilton Electric circular, and much more. I'm happy just sitting in the middle of it all, gazing in wonder at all the neat stuff. It probably exposes me as an uber-dork, but I find some of the old boxes (almost) as cool as the watches! Anyway, any input and advice will be appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

set three.jpg

set one.jpg

set two.jpg

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,057 Posts
Your pictures do not work for me either. Looks like you strung the addresses together. Just uplooad them as an attachment rather than trying to link externally.

To be honest I have seen several in-person auctions where the contents of a closed watch repair shop were sold in bulk. Based on those experiences my opinion is that if you have a repair business and can use the parts then you may come out ok. If you have parts for popular watches then those could also be sold on Ebay. Otherwise selling them will be a long arduous process of selling smaller bulk lots of crystals, springs, etc., on Ebay. It is hard to tell whether the watches are worth anything or not without seeing if they run and opening them. There is a fair chance the mechanicals and electro-mechanicals were taken in dead and scavanged for parts.

Take a good close look at the complete watches for whether they work, cosmetic condition, and what parts are missing. Then inventory what you have. That will give you a better idea of what might be saleable.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I see the pics.

Good Lawd! you paid $150 for all that? Surely there must be something amazing among all the junk.

Reactions: Popoki Nui

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Sure looks like you have your money back and then some in scrap gold. Some of those nos parts must be worth good money. Only problem is the time to do the research.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
That looks like you can have a lot of fun for looooong time, wow, that's a lot of parts/watches for $150. At least $150 worth of fun IMO! If you do not have an eBay account, I would open one right away and start selling!!! You should be able to recuperate your money and do a good profit I think.

I give $200 for the whole lot! : )

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
At the least, $150 worth of unadulterated fun! How cool, definitely keep us up to date as you sift through it all, bound to be some treasures...

Dan

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
My eyes hurt. Looks like a find from an episode of Storage Wars. Hopefully it is more Dave Hester and less Barry Weiss. Good luck on the sort, and please update us on your finds.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
You have many multiples of $150 in recreation value here...

Enjoy and happy hunting!

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Sure looks like heaps of fun there, mercurym! If I were you I would find it even more fun getting them sorted by country, then by brand, then by model, and cross-indexing the type as in literature, what kind of parts, etc; perhaps it is something I personally find pleasant to do! But for me I'd take everything Soviet/Russian/Belarussian off your hands just to help you out :-d :-d :-d

1 - 20 of 42 Posts