WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a couple of weeks since getting back from Japan and am finally catching up on things.
Some general observations:

1) New watches in Japan are expensive. Cheaper in the U.S. Only buy watches that are available only in Japan.
2) Japanese people like watches. You see a lot more watches being worn than in the U.S. But then again, watches are a lot more useful in Japan because everyone takes mass transit, and the trains are on time.
3) Some business men wear G-shocks. Yeah, weird but true. You see a lot of suit + G-shock combinations.
4) Some women wear big watches. You see quite a number of thin wristed Japanese ladies wearing bulky men's watches.
5) Seikos, Casios, and Citizens are the most popular brands. Obviously. The trendy tend to buy Tags, and Rolexes.

Here are some pictures of interest from my trip.

Some Seiko's at a Tokyu Hands Store. Notice the prices. $1 is a little less than 100 yen. (Just knock off the last 2 zeros) ;-)

A Casio I liked quite a bit.

Crowded watch display

Train Station sign watch. The Yamanote is the main train in Tokyo which goes around in a circle.

A Gatchapon of some Anime

Pile of old watches at a flea market. You bet I bought some! This pile was 200 yen a pop. There was a working Eco-drive in this pile!

Large Citizen at the flea market. Couldn't fit it into my suitcase!:-| Notice my foot.

Taxi in Hokkaido (northern Japan)

Some Vintage watches. . .

Don't you wish YOUR COSTCO had a selection like this. . .

Bulgogi Bake! Mmmm!:p (Yeah, I know bulgogi is Korean). Everybody leave notes at you local Costco to get this in the states! Seriously!

Automatic faucet, soap dispenser and hand dryer in one! On a train, no less!

1:1 Scale Gundam.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice pics, Taro. Thanks for sharing with us. Did you pick up one or two watches that you're especially proud of?
I bought very few new watches. I did pick up a lot of used watches at the flea market. I will post some pics after I restore the watches.

·
5,138 Posts
Thanks for the pics; I enjoyed them. :-!

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
Awesome, I have to show my boys the huge Transformer. :)
I would love to go to Japan, but between the watches and JDM Zippos I would be in the poorhouse :-d

Cheers,
Griff

P.S. Ooops, my kids tell me it is a "Gundam"!!

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'm envious of your trip, good hunting!:-!

·
Registered
37,143 Posts
Nice pics. Did you go to Yodobashi Camera or BIC Camera? Those 2 retailers have the best selection of watches and best deals. Tokyu Hands would be the last place for me to buy/check out a watch. I get my bathroom fixtures from there. :)

·
11,759 Posts
Cool pictures!! :-!

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice pics. Did you go to Yodobashi Camera or BIC Camera? Those 2 retailers have the best selection of watches and best deals. Tokyu Hands would be the last place for me to buy/check out a watch. I get my bathroom fixtures from there. :)
Yes I went to Yodobashi, Bic, and a bunch of other places, but they're not so keen on you taking photos. I think the picture of the Casio was taken at an Sakuraya (can't remember). I did manage to snag a bunch of catalogs in stead of photos at those places. The prices for new watches are too expensive even at those discount shops and after flashing your passport. Just as in the states, the real bargains are to be found on-line. Hands is very expensive, but lots of fun to wander around in. I did pick up a nice .6 mm flat head screwdriver.

Do you live in Japan?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Had I known you were going, I'd would have gotten you to bring me back a carton of MARLBORO's! I don't smoke but I can't resist a bargain you know. Excellent Post taro! I like the Citizen, what does it say on it?

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
What amazes me is the huge selection of vintage, discontinued and NOS models readily available. I can see in your photo 2 of my Citizen ana-digi watches.

The Japanese are really into watches.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had I known you were going, I'd would have gotten you to bring me back a carton of MARLBORO's! I don't smoke but I can't resist a bargain you know. Excellent Post taro! I like the Citizen, what does it say on it?
The clock was apparently gifted (probably by a graduating class) to a school in the 49th year of Showa (1974).

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics and commentary. I keep promising the Missus I'll take her there sometime. Maybe this will provide the impetus:-!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very true and it's not watches. electronic and luxury goods are also more expensive. It's the standard of living in Japan. Very often you will Japanese tourist in Singapore and Hong Kong buy Japanese electronic goods and they are like kids in a candy store when they go to luxury goods shops like Prada. They buy stuff by the arm full.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts