WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So I just got my panthere 2 days ago as a present, and I've just seen theres a little scratch on the side (it looks like its hit a table, as its 3 lines next to each other, but only can only be seen in sunlight and I cannot feel my nail sink into it).
I know that Cape Cod cloths have mixed opinions, and this would definitely be the only time I use it - there's other micro scratches which I do not mind about, it's just this one being a bit bigger so close to when I bought it!)

And the fact that the panthere is a rounded edge design, and highly polished, I feel like doing it this once will be ok?
I've seen someone saying the q-tip and glasses lens microfibre cloth is a good way to tackle individual scratches - if i only put the cape cod solution over this one scratch, do you guys think all will be good? I'm fine with it not diminishing fully, i'm going in with reasonable expectations! but this watch has a lot of sentimental value to me so thought I'd do a quick check here first :) thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Trying to take scratches out is a chancy operation. Once you start to work the metal, you tend to find that the area you're interested in looks different than what's around it...so, you move the operation so as to try to make everything look about the same. You rarely succeed: although you can make the scratch go away, the entire area is changed, and--considering the degree to which so many contemporary Manufacturers finish surfaces--there's a depressingly 'good' chance that the area you worked will never match the area you left alone.

In a nutshell, then, I'd give lots of consideration to BenchGuy's observation: there are folks who can do this work and make it 'perfect'...and, they make their living doing it. I don't know what they charge, but I bet you'd be surprised at the $$ they would ask..as in, a Lot!

On a really personal note: I've always been nervous when hearing about folks using polishing cloths on watches. Some of these things seem to me most at home shining-up an old piece of silverware or brass door knobs. It's really weird to think that anyone would go over an entire, operating watch with one...all those chemicals and polishing media; do you really want that stuff anywhere near a watch? Ouch!

Michael.

·
Premium Member
Silicone Valley, California
4,073 Posts
100 grit Tri-M-Ite. Once the entire watch looks the same, you are done.

You might want to mask off the crystal…

…or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trying to take scratches out is a chancy operation. Once you start to work the metal, you tend to find that the area you're interested in looks different than what's around it...so, you move the operation so as to try to make everything look about the same. You rarely succeed: although you can make the scratch go away, the entire area is changed, and--considering the degree to which so many contemporary Manufacturers finish surfaces--there's a depressingly 'good' chance that the area you worked will never match the area you left alone.

In a nutshell, then, I'd give lots of consideration to BenchGuy's observation: there are folks who can do this work and make it 'perfect'...and, they make their living doing it. I don't know what they charge, but I bet you'd be surprised at the $$ they would ask..as in, a Lot!

On a really personal note: I've always been nervous when hearing about folks using polishing cloths on watches. Some of these things seem to me most at home shining-up an old piece of silverware or brass door knobs. It's really weird to think that anyone would go over an entire, operating watch with one...all those chemicals and polishing media; do you really want that stuff anywhere near a watch? Ouch!

Michael.
Hiya! I managed to get it completely out using a q tip and only going over that specific scratch, definitely wont be using it again, but wanted to use it once since so close to the purchase date - embracing the scratches from now on? :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hiya! I managed to get it completely out using a q tip and only going over that specific scratch, definitely wont be using it again, but wanted to use it once since so close to the purchase date - embracing the scratches from now on? :)
Taking out little scratches can lead to big headaches...once you have removed metal, you're on your own. It's surprising to see how much change in a surface can happen in 30 seconds of working it...and how difficult it can be to make it match what's next to it.

I'll suggest that you had a bit of Good Luck on this one...be extra-careful when it comes to trying it again!

Michael.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts