WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I’ve wanted to take some shots of my new Airman for a while, but hadn’t found the time til now. While I hadn’t thought of an interesting “angle” to give my photos, I thought I’d use one of them to tell a little story.

Here’s the “story” picture:

While not particularly interesting at first glance, there is a bit more to it than meets the eye. The watch on the right has an engraving on the back that reads “From the Commander-in-Chief of the Air Force of the Soviet Armed Forces Group in Germany, to Colonel of Engineers [name]. 11-10-1976”. The watch was presented to my grandfather on his retirement from the Soviet Air Force. As a meteorologist, he spent most of WWII in a variety of the Air Force’s field headquarters, helping Soviet pilots bring down their (Stowa-equipped?) German counterparts.
Looking at the two watches side-by-side made me take a moment to think about what a different world our very recent ancestors lived in, and wonder where we’d be today if not for their actions.

Nik

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool story!

...and the VOSTOK is even 8 seconds ahead of the STOWA :-!,

Volker ;-)
That symbolism is unintentional - the Vostok's second hand doesn't hack :). In fact, it's running really fast, at least a minute a day, unlike the COSC Airman which has been spot on - and I mean +/- 0s in a week. Incredible!

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Nik

1 - 7 of 7 Posts