WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Here are some, as usual, mediocre to bad quality photos of my watches. This time its' my Speedy Pro 3572 on the 1171 bracelet....

What do you guys think? Compared with the contemporary bracelet it came with, I think it makes the watch look a bit more "classic," and the fit is more snug.

The clasp...I'm kind of wondering why there is no lettering of Omega or Speedmaster on the clasp. Oh well...

I just had to show it with the PO. Probably two of the gems of my humble family.

Let me know what you guys think!

Glimmer

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Very nice, Glimmer. I love the look of the simple, understated ref.1171. It's almost the opposite of the current Speedy bracelet: heavy, chunky, and a bit flashy compared to light, slim, and minimal.

How does it wear for you? Comfortable? Is it hard adjusting to the lighter weight?

eric

PS: The clasp is not marked "Speedmaster," simply because the ref.1171 is used and can still be used on different models.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice, Glimmer. I love the look of the simple, understated ref.1171. It's almost the opposite of the current Speedy bracelet: heavy, chunky, and a bit flashy compared to light, slim, and minimal.

How does it wear for you? Comfortable? Is it hard adjusting to the lighter weight?

eric

PS: The clasp is not marked "Speedmaster," simply because the ref.1171 is used and can still be used on different models.
Hi Eric...

Right to the point there, that's what I like about it: its' not heavy but somehow I still feel the presence on my wrist. Surprisingly I did not really notice that it was much lighter.

The bracelet itself is so simple that I was thinking that it could serve as a simple silver men's accessory (without the clasp), and I really like the "elasticity" of it.

With regards to the contemporary bracelet I still find that simple enough compared to...well, what I've been wearing the past couple of weeks, the Bond bracelet (which I love as well).

And the biggest surprise (no joke) was that my wife likes the 1171. Her exact words were " classic "...I don't know if she was rolling her eyes upwards because I was kind of busy figuring out the end link configuration...It makes me wonder if she somehow did some research on the net on older Speedy models.

Some may regard it as "tinny" but I think its' really part of the design criteria of the Speedy. At least in my opinion...

Thanks
Glimmer

·
Registered
315 Posts
Looks fantastic, Glimmer. The simpler the better, in my opinion.

I also recently bought an 1171 but decided not to keep it. I am due for some pictures of my new watches I bought last month from John Wilson's AD. Been experimenting with various bracelets and I'll show you what I came up with, hopefully tonight.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks fantastic, Glimmer. The simpler the better, in my opinion.

I also recently bought an 1171 but decided not to keep it. I am due for some pictures of my new watches I bought last month from John Wilson's AD. Been experimenting with various bracelets and I'll show you what I came up with, hopefully tonight.
That'd be much appreciated.:) I've come to like the 9 row Bond bracelet (as Kieron puts it) so much that I'm thinking of a way to put it on my Black GMT...just like John Wilson did...the only problem is, I don't have another silver Bond bracelet!!! I do have a two tone one but that wouldn't fit. Some creepy ideas have been coming to mind...buying a cheap replica Bond Seamaster and using the bracelet, but that would be sacrilege (though very tempting)...

Thanks
Glimmer

·
Registered
515 Posts
The 1171 bracelet is a nice alternative to the newer ones.

You can also use the solid 808 endpieces from the 1450 bracelet, (they are still available in the UK) not quite a perfect fit, but quite close...And if you want the clasp to say Speedmaster the 1469 clasp, also available in the UK, can be used....

I have done this recently - pics tomorrow in daylight..

Best regards

Mark

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You can also use the solid 808 endpieces from the 1450 bracelet, (they are still available in the UK) not quite a perfect fit, but quite close...And if you want the clasp to say Speedmaster the 1469 clasp, also available in the UK, can be used....

Best regards

Mark
Hello Mark,

I will certainly appreciate any pictures you can post if possible.

Many thanks
Glimmer

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hi Glimmer, your Speedy looks great on the 1171 bracelet, but it would look great on just about anything:eek:)

Len

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Glimmer, your Speedy looks great on the 1171 bracelet, but it would look great on just about anything:eek:)

Len
Hi Len,

Long time no see, thanks a lot...though I'm feeling that the Speedy needs a little more TLC and was thinking about sending it in for service...aahh.

Hope everything is OK...

Regards
Glimmer

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hi Glimmer,

Everything is fine and I recently joined the PO Club myself. I also decided upon the 42mm black bezel with white numbers just like you have. Makes a fine addition to my Speedy. Only now I am deciding if I should sell my black dialed GMT and get either a Bond (not sure if chrono or non chrono coaxial), or an orange bezel PO (for days that I feel like adding some color).

Your Speedy is a nice addition to your Omega family. It might be expensive to send it in for service, but it should come back looking as new, which is always nice.

Len

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Glimmer,

Everything is fine and I recently joined the PO Club myself. I also decided upon the 42mm black bezel with white numbers just like you have. Makes a fine addition to my Speedy. Only now I am deciding if I should sell my black dialed GMT and get either a Bond (not sure if chrono or non chrono coaxial), or an orange bezel PO (for days that I feel like adding some color).

Your Speedy is a nice addition to your Omega family. It might be expensive to send it in for service, but it should come back looking as new, which is always nice.

Len
Len,

Congrats on the PO!

I think you gave me the same advice a few months back...don't sell the GMT! Though I did get a Bond chrono last month and wear it more often than the GMT nowadays, I always feel that connection with the noir that its' a special breed...even moreso owing to the "50 years" on the caseback. I really think one day it will be a much desired watch.

Though you may have different criteria...the blue Bond does add a bit of color and makes me feel younger when I wear it...I would suggest the chrono if ever you will pull the trigger...I personally feel it has much more to offer and is more "packed" with features than the standard Bond (nothing against it).

Anyhow, thanks, and wish you luck on your decision. The Bond can wait though as I'm pretty sure it will be around for a long time...

Regards
Glimmer

·
Registered
515 Posts

Best regards

Mark
Here are the pics, the lower one shows a 1450 on the left for comparison. In the third pic you can see a small gap where the 1171 joins the 808 as the last link on the 1171 is just a bit too narrow. Not easy to see in use however...

I much prefer this to the folded end links that come with the 1171, this set up is a nice alternative to the 1450, however nothing beats the 1450 IMHO..

Best regards

Mark

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Hey, Glimmer (Br. "C")!

The 1171 makes for a nice classic look for your 3572.50. I'm glad the missus agrees.

But the ultimate Speedy bracelet remains the 1450.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the pics.

I did notice that gap. Very interesting to know that offhand you may think that both bracelets look somehow the same (in your picture at least) but many have declared their allegiance to the 1450.

Well, what can I do...either grow money from a tree or wait until a very kind soul offers me one. In due time I guess I may come across one, but for now I must be happy with what I've got. (and I certainly am!)

Many thanks again Mark for the pics...)

Glimmer

Here are the pics, the lower one shows a 1450 on the left for comparison. In the third pic you can see a small gap where the 1171 joins the 808 as the last link on the 1171 is just a bit too narrow. Not easy to see in use however...

I much prefer this to the folded end links that come with the 1171, this set up is a nice alternative to the 1450, however nothing beats the 1450 IMHO..

Best regards

Mark

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, Glimmer (Br. "C")!

The 1171 makes for a nice classic look for your 3572.50. I'm glad the missus agrees.

But the ultimate Speedy bracelet remains the 1450.

Fr. John+
Hello Fr. John,

Its' been quite a while!

As for the 1450, I really can't do anything about it right now except enjoy the 1171. In due course, I'm sure more good things will come to my precious 3572 and I hope that includes a 1450. Who knows, I might get sick enough to get another Speedy in a while.

In the meantime please wish me luck as I send in my only Speedy today to the Omega Centre for service. I hope to be with it again at the soonest possible time...

Thanks and regards
Glimmer
and yours in Christ,
"C"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts