WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people say that PO sapphire crystal easier to damage due to outside AR coating compared to SMP.

So if you own significantly "used" PO, that has NOT been polished yet, I would appreciate very much if you could share pictures that would demontsrate how serious the scratches are.

TIA

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
If PO crystal is easy to scratch due to AR coating, I must be doing something wrong. I certainly don't coddle the watch, and it has not one scratch yet on the crystal.

mike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Two weeks with plenty of accidental bumbs on door frames and what not with no scratches. I bumped it on the corner of a metal filing cabinet fairly hard the other day and would have sweared that was the first scratch, but thankfully the coating is quite durable. I think the added convienience of the double coating (really cuts down on glare more than any other watch I have seen) more than makes up for the slightly increased risk of scratching. I would not trade away the AR coating even if given the option.

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
My PO ...

will be a year old in January. It's my daily wearer. I'm in law enforcement, so it gets treated rough. I have yet to find a scratch on the AR coating. - David

·
Registered
195 Posts
No scratches on mine. I actually quite like the coating as it works well enough that it mostly looks like there is no crystal at all.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Could some AR coatings be better than others?

Though I've heard of a few Omegas with scratches and smudges on their "both sides coated" watches, they are few and far between. I've heard many more complaints on Sinn watches with the AR on the outside.

I've had spectacles where the AR coating has scratched and smudged like crazy, but this current pair can be dry wiped, hard, and repeatedly, with no ill effect. :-s

·
Registered
27 Posts
My PO spends many hours a day in a correctional facility. A world of steel and concrete, so my AR coating was scratched in about a week. About a half inch long scratch. It was very visible because the rest of the crystal would reflect 'blue', but the scratch would reflect "white", so it really stuck out....if that makes sense.

Anyways.......I polished the coating off with Brasso and a rag. No need for a Dremel. Worked great....scratch is gone and really don't miss the coating.

Sorry......no pics.:-(

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Anyways.......I polished the coating off with Brasso and a rag. No need for a Dremel. Worked great....scratch is gone and really don't miss the coating.
I, too, don't mind the greater amount of glare due to no AR on the outside. Instinctively, one tends to merely twist the watch the tiny amount necessary to read the dial without the glare. True WISs and WIEs (remember, Watch Idiot Enthusiastics?) love the opportunity to lengthen the glance time for a few extra milliseconds. :-d

·
Registered
276 Posts
I, too, don't mind the greater amount of glare due to no AR on the outside. Instinctively, one tends to merely twist the watch the tiny amount necessary to read the dial without the glare. True WISs and WIEs (remember, Watch Idiot Enthusiastics?) love the opportunity to lengthen the glance time for a few extra milliseconds. :-d
Better yet, sometimes I glance at my watch just for the hell of it: I get so mesmerized by its beauty that I totally forget to check the time ;-)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Not a scratch on mine either, after one year of daily wear, including diving, skiing, hiking and mountain biking. The bezel got a scrape but that's a nice battle scar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Better yet, sometimes I glance at my watch just for the hell of it: I get so mesmerized by its beauty that I totally forget to check the time ;-)
Don't say that outloud, you'll give us a way.

Happens once in a while. I'll look at my watch, a friend will ask for the time upon seeing me do that, and I'll have to look at my watch again because I didn't really check what time it was on the first glance.

:oops:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts