WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
INTRO

If you remember, I recently sold an MKII Stingray to fund a 39mm Longines Hydroconquest.

I had the Hydroconquest in my sights for some time as I love Diver watches; I received the watch last week, and I must say, I do not regret my choice :-!.

SIZE

I chose the 39mm because, frankly, I am more at ease wearing 39mm to 41mm watches (just check my collection for an idea of what I have - all fall into this size bracket).

This gorgeous watch certainly wears much bigger, someone wrote they wear similar to Breitling Colts and this is true.

In fact, on my wrist, I honestly do not feel the difference with my Seamasters (which are 41mm if memory serves); whereas when I wear my Speedmaster L.A. Olympics (it's a Reduced, 39mm also) I do feel and see the difference.

Visually, the Longines is barely smaller than its 41mm cousin (I write "cousin" because both Omega and Longines are part of the Swatch Group and get parts - sapphires, movements, etc. from the same sister companies).

The side of the case are polished Stainless Steel; thickness is right on the money, in my opinion. The watch sits comfortably on the wrist due to the fairly deep lugs.

Note the little flying hourglass on the crown... :-!

A MODERN RETRO WATCH

The style of the watch is what I call modern retro: you get a retro vibe from small details such as crown and crown guards (clearly art deco in inspiration) but the overall look is, at least in my eyes, modern.

In fact, it's a refreshing take on the "Submariner" look - which, incidentally, was not invented by Rolex, so clearly it's a fair game to any manufacturer to come up with their own iteration of that timeless design.

DIAL

The dial has a gorgeous "sunburst" type of dial, which makes it hard to capture on pics; this is one watch that is really nicer in reality than on pics. The raised indicia, batons and numerals are really a nice, classy touch!

And what about those incredible hands! They are striking visually, again subtly reinforcing the "modern retro" look. They have a slight angle on the length, and the play of shadow along the body of the hands makes them pop out. I love the red arrow tip on the seconds' hand, but I understand some might not.

I usually do not go for numerals (I prefer indicia and batons), but on this watch, they are gorgeous as they are raised. In fact since this watch has both indicia, batons and numerals, I am happy!

LUGS & BRACELET

The only thing that bothers me (a bit) is the 19mm size between the lugs, which is seldom seen in modern watches, but seems to have been a popular size in the past (Rolex comes to mind). So third party bracelets in that size can be found, and it's fairly easy to modify 20mm straps to fit the lugs. So, at the end of the day, no major worries there.

The bracelet is nice and sturdy, albeit on the "light" side. Could some parts of the links be hollow? I'm not sure. The middle links are made of shiny Stainless Steel (may not be to everyone's liking) while the rest of the links are on the brushed side.

I also am not crazy about the stamped clasp with the tiny (stamped) hourglass and the odd '300m/1000ft' markings (WTF?), but it's not that bad I guess; just ask some Rolex owners what they think about clasps :-d...

I would have loved to see a machined clasp, like on the Seamaster, but it's not a MAJOR issue.

CASE BACK

The case back is a work of art, further adding to the "modern retro" look; that flying hourglass is not etched, it's machined in the Stainless Steel. It feels solid and not at all "gimmicky" and the attention to detail is amazing.

The back also features the original Longines "EFCo" logo, which again falls into the 'modern retro' look. Very nice!

LUME

Lume is strong and lasts a fairly long time. It does not glow as a torch as my Bond Seamaster and my 2254 do, but it gets the job done. The lume in the numbers themselves is a great touch!

There is no lume on the seconds' hand, so on my picture below you can see there is no "lume trace" between one and two o'clock on the Longines (made by the advancing seconds' hands), contrary to the Omega...

CONCLUSION

A "modern retro" take on the classic submariner look; part tool watch, part "blingy". Certainly unique and striking.

One last word: "keeper" :-!.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Excellent! Great shots that compare it to similar niche watches in the marketplace

I just got the 41mm auto and while it wears very comfortably on my wrist, it *looks* much larger in the mirror, strong presence, so I have no doubt the 39mm looks quite bold as well.

It is a bummer about the odd-numbered lug width (mine is 21); that means I can't exchange straps with any of my other watches

I'm not entirely sure I love how the end links flow into the rest of the bracelet either. It has kind of a staggered decent from lug to endlink to centerlink. Sometimes I think it's neat looking and a nice added *feature* and sometimes I wish it was flush and clean-looking.

I especially like how the black of the face and bezel are near enough to the exact same shade. The reason I didn't get the blue is that the bezel was a richer color and the face seemed to be washed out. I notice that same phenomenon in your blue Seamaster (though that's a very richly textured face). If Longines designers would match the color of face and bezel on the blue model I'd snatch one up quick.

Oh well, small nitpicks. Great watch, beautiful, easy to read. Hopefully durable, I have yet to take it to the beach.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Such a beautiful watch, but I'm kind of confused and curious as to why the bezel is coin edged for 2/3 of it, then the other third is smooth/flat... very odd/interesting to me. Even through that this watch is simply gorgeous, nice review too!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Such a beautiful watch, but I'm kind of confused and curious as to why the bezel is coin edged for 2/3 of it, then the other third is smooth/flat... very odd/interesting to me. Even through that this watch is simply gorgeous, nice review too!
I guess this is one of the "modern retro" details I was writing about. I made a mental note to mention it in the review, as it is original and adds a touch of bling just above the end link. But I forgot :-x. Thanks for mentioning it!

Incidentally, I played with the bezel, and in some positions it does make the turning of the bezel difficult. I guess the Longines designers know most of these watches won't be seeing real diving conditions and instead opted for the aesthetic touch over the practical one.

Reactions: KindaDevil

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great review! It only solidifies my reasoning in owning both the Black and Blue Hydroquest versions! :-!:-!
Well, yeah, me too.

If I can get my moist palms on the blue one, at the same great price I bough this one, I might fall for it :-d.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good review and even better pictures! I bought the 41mm Blue Dial a few months ago. Was actually looking for a Black one but it seems all the retailers in my country [Malaysia] only have the blue ones. All of them were trying to sell the blue one to me, EXCEPT one kind salesgirl who said to me, "Mr, do you like the blue one? If you like it, I am sure that you will love the black one even more!" She said this despite the fact that she doesn't have the black model in store!

So, I decided to go and hunt for the black dial version... After 1 month of searching, I couldn't resist the temptation and I just went straight to the AD and grabbed a blue one. Got a good price too. SO, here I am. A PROUD OWNER OF Longines Hydroconquest!

One Question for the other lucky owners of this watch... How is the watch performing in terms of accuracy. Mine is +4.5 seconds daily. Wondering how it compares to it's "siblings" out there.

p/s: Only 1 complain, the polished parts of this watch is really prone to scratches... Other than that, it is, TO ME, a poor man's Seamaster! LOL!

·
Registered
631 Posts

First, I would like to say thank you for such a nice and descriptive review. I love reading reviews like this because instead of seeing stock photos to decipher the quality of a watch, the multiple angled pictures and comparison to other watches allows one to judge and get a better overall perspective of a watch without even handling it (at least to a certain extent).

After seeing the pic above, what really caught my attention was the fact that this particular Longines diver holds it own quality wise against two prestigious watches that are 2-2 1/2 times the price of the Longines. The craftsmanship, and detail seem to be solid and on par with the two Omega watches. It's great to see a watch that has all the right elements for a timeless design and most of all, value along with quality.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First, I would like to say thank you for such a nice and descriptive review. I love reading reviews like this because instead of seeing stock photos to decipher the quality of a watch, the multiple angled pictures and comparison to other watches allows one to judge and get a better overall perspective of a watch without even handling it (at least to a certain extent).
Thanks for the kind words. This was exactly my goal, to showcase this watch alongside other well known divers, in all its angles, to give a feel of its "realworldliness" :-d

After seeing the pic above, what really caught my attention was the fact that this particular Longines diver holds it own quality wise against two prestigious watches that are 2-2 1/2 times the price of the Longines. The craftsmanship, and detail seem to be solid and on par with the two Omega watches. It's great to see a watch that has all the right elements for a timeless design and most of all, value along with quality.
You are absolutely right. My own Omega AD says that Longines is now (i.e., after the multiple price hikes of the Omega catalogue) the best bang-for-the-buck coming out of the Swatch Group.

Also in the coming years the Swatch Group will be making Longines the "new Omega" as they will be trying to make Omega the "new Rolex". So the sweet spot little by little left vacant by Omega will now be the place they will position the Longines catalogue: great watches, great quality and workmanship, exciting designs and also relatively "affordable" (in the sense that we, WIS, perceive it).

Along all this repositioning, Tissot will also be pushed to the sweet spot currently filled by Longines....

:rodekaart Now is the time to buy Longines before they become more expensive! :rodekaart

·
Registered
994 Posts
Great piece!
I'm really surprised that the Hydroconquest wasn't nominated for dive watch of the year. It is a great piece at a decent prize.
I don't believe you like this one more than Bill Yao's Stingray.
Could you elaborate a bit more on this Xaltotun ( BTW, how's Conan doing?).
And one last thing, is it a crapshoot accuracy wise?

Thanks and congrats again

Red

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great piece!
I'm really surprised that the Hydroconquest wasn't nominated for dive watch of the year. It is a great piece at a decent prize.
I don't believe you like this one more than Bill Yao's Stingray.
Could you elaborate a bit more on this Xaltotun ( BTW, how's Conan doing?).
And one last thing, is it a crapshoot accuracy wise?

Thanks and congrats again

Red
Hi;

Well I liked the MKII Stingray. A LOT. But I found the face too small compared to the overwhelming bezel. You know, I'm a "proportion nut" and it drives me crazy when I do not find "that equilibrium" in the proportions....

So this kept me from bonding totally with it. And, I could not afford to keep it and buy the Longines. So, it had to go.

As for the accuracy, I get +8 right now (it's not COSC); I don't know what it'll be after it "settles in". We'll see. Right now it looks like it could be worse.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.