WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I got graced by DHL and the mailman with two beautiful watches!

I'll start with the Aachen.

After a couple weeks of research and debating on an entry level pilot/nav watch, I ended up ordering this piece. The quality of this thing is fantastic, even down to the box it comes in. I can definitely tell this company has been doing it for awhile. It's an automatic with a miyota 821a based movement that has a little Laco input. Sapphire front and rear, robust straps and amazing C3 lume. It's 42mm and it wears all of that due to being all dial. The only thing I had to do was add two holes in the strap (I have a flat 6.75-7.25 inch wrist depending where I wear it). I wore it for the afternoon and I'm impressed for 300usd. Once the straps break in, I'll be pretty dang happy.

Now for some pictures!

Unboxing

Here it is

Out of the cage!

Caseback

On the wrist

Let's not forget the lume!

Now for the SNAB

There was no debating on this watch. I saw it, it caught me hard, and I ordered it a couple days later for 200usd. Had to get it from overseas, not really sure why but I couldn't find any sellers here in the states. Slide rule, alarm (can be used as a secondary time zone), sweeping chronograph, date, small seconds and Seiko lume all in a handsome package. It measures 44mm and I'd say it wears just about that on my flat wrist. The leather bands have a little breaking in to do, but not much. I'm very impressed with my first seiko quartz piece.

Enough with the lip flapping, here's some photographs!

It sees the light

Out of the box

Caseback

On the wrist!

Lume!

Now for some shots of them together. What a beautiful pair!

Thanks all for looking!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yes, that is a nice-looking pair! Any comments on the alarm function of the Seiko? I'm curious about the ease of setting and the sound.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that is a nice-looking pair! Any comments on the alarm function of the Seiko? I'm curious about the ease of setting and the sound.
Nothing yet on the sound. Directions say it goes off for 20sec. The setting is fairly simple once you read the directions. I believe you have to set the alarm time every time you want to use it. I love that it doubles as a second time though. Moves with the time (or whatever time you set it to) when not set. Pretty neat.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I remember your threads on choosing these watches. They look absolutely fantastic. You've got two cracking pilot watches there. I'd happily wear either one of those.

I've got the Laco Augsburg, basically the same watch with the A-type, instead of the B-type dial. I took it down to my friend who repairs antique clocks, and who is a general all round horological super-wiz. He said two things.
One: the quality of the movement and the finishing done on it was outstanding for the price. Two: the case construction, hand set, and purity of the dial were just phenomenal.
Like you say, they're a company that's been around and really knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Well done. I need to pick up that Laco pilot. Love it.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I remember your threads on choosing these watches. They look absolutely fantastic. You've got two cracking pilot watches there. I'd happily wear either one of those.

I've got the Laco Augsburg, basically the same watch with the A-type, instead of the B-type dial. I took it down to my friend who repairs antique clocks, and who is a general all round horological super-wiz. He said two things.
One: the quality of the movement and the finishing done on it was outstanding for the price. Two: the case construction, hand set, and purity of the dial were just phenomenal.
Like you say, they're a company that's been around and really knows what they're doing.
I put it back on for the bar tonight after wearing the snab for a bit. The dial, as simple as it is, is so detailed it's crazy. I'm loving it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've got the Aachen and agree that it's a great watch. Lack have history and I think this plays out in the attention to detail and historically accurate design.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
71,226 Posts
How did you find the strap on the Laco G2? I have nearly the same size wrist (6.75 to 6.75) as you and found the rather thick strap tried its best to bed me in. It's a lovely watch though so congratulations are in order.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How did you find the strap on the Laco G2? I have nearly the same size wrist (6.75 to 6.75) as you and found the rather thick strap tried its best to bed me in. It's a lovely watch though so congratulations are in order.
It is quite a stiff/thick strap but after working it around for a minute, it loosened up a little bit. It will definitely take time to break it in though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts