WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Skyhook,

Just a curious question.... The one on the right is it the 300m Tuna Can? It looks great!

Cheers,

Sjors

Hi Sjors,

It is the 300m 'tuna can'. Both are rock solid watches:-!.

The Orange Seiko is a called Samurai. Its limited to only 300 pieces in the world and will be sold through balloting in Thailand's Watch Fair end of this month. Selected dealers are able to get a few first hand.

P.S. I think Tribe will be chasing me with a knife:);-):-Denjoy the pictures Tribe|>

cheers~
SKY

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Skyhook - you're a devil sitting on my shoulder. I have contacted a priest who says he can get rid of you. Prepare to sizzle.

And anyway, neither of those watches are black enough. :)

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
this it not meant to be offensive, but could anyone please explain to me, why seiko (citizen too) so often put the lume point on the wrong side of the second hand - well, at least for me it is the wrong side. that's something I never understood...

And I thought I got an awesome Laserdisc deal which is limited to 400 copies worldwide:roll:
interesting, I also have about 200 laserdiscs still left in my collection. may I ask what LD it is you are talking about?

regards, holger

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
You're a Laser fan too! yay i got someone with similar interest!:gold
you can bet. even with todays giant DVD market there are some LD's that outperform the sound quality of DVD's with ease. the picture quality of a DVD is (usually) clearly better, but when it comes down to sound, oh boy...

I think my most rare and preciuos LD is "WOW", the official THX demo test disc released by lucasfilm in the beginning/mid 90's. people are still very impressed when I show them this disc in my HT.

regards, holger

·
Registered
394 Posts
you can bet. even with todays giant DVD market there are some LD's that outperform the sound quality of DVD's with ease. the picture quality of a DVD is (usually) clearly better, but when it comes down to sound, oh boy...

I think my most rare and preciuos LD is "WOW", the official THX demo test disc released by lucasfilm in the beginning/mid 90's. people are still very impressed when I show them this disc in my HT.

regards, holger
that's right dude, I doubt Blu-rays and HD-DVDs can acheive that kind of standard in sound quality, all that uncompressed PCM/Dolby True HD audio BS don't really move me, I mean you should hear DTS LDs, they will blow you away! And you'll never get sick of it! But it would really be awesome to view LOTR and Harry Potter movies in High-Definition video:p

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,595 Posts
Why don't they first invent a good sufficient system and than release it. I'm myself not to fond of sound compression. I have been a DJ for a long time and always prefered to play the vinyl's if possible. CD's are OK, but if it are recorded disks from MP3's, they often sound crap on loud volume on a big system, even if the kbs/s rate is high. Isn't it strange you can record 2 hours of movie on a DVD, but a retail DVD conain sometimes over 4 hours extra's?

I must have some Laserdisks in my attic, but I never had a player. I'm not sure where they are now (I have many crates of records, and they are somewhere between I'm afraid).

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It's called a day night hand...

Many people actually prefer that the lume dot is on the opposite side. Here's the reason...when you are in the dark and you have the lume pointed on the end of the long side, it can often get lost in the markers of the dial. When the second hand lume dot is on the short hand side, it makes it much easier to instantly read the time in the dark. I've often had to stare at a dial in the dark an extra couple of seconds because I can't figure out if a glowing dot is a dial marker or the second hand.

Bottom line is that it's just a matter of preference..there is no right and wrong way to do it.

Some have also said that having the dot on the short side will actually better poise the second hand too.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Re: It's called a day night hand...

Many people actually prefer that the lume dot is on the opposite side. Here's the reason...when you are in the dark and you have the lume pointed on the end of the long side, it can often get lost in the markers of the dial. When the second hand lume dot is on the short hand side, it makes it much easier to instantly read the time in the dark. I've often had to stare at a dial in the dark an extra couple of seconds because I can't figure out if a glowing dot is a dial marker or the second hand.
hi pete,

yeah well I see your point, but I can't honestly not agree with it. if it is necessary to put the second lume dot upside down - only for the reason not to get confused reading the watch in darkness - then IMO is something seriously wrong with the watches dial design. I would find it rather annoying to have a look on such a watch in darkness and always starting *calculating*, because if the second hand - for instance - shows ten seconds after midnight, it is really 40 seconds after midnight....B-) :roll:

here is a quick shot of my KHS Navigator MKII (the only analog watch I do own right now) taken just a couple minutes back:

the tritium vials have an outstanding legibility at night and I can assure you, there won't never ever a second or third look necessary to tell EXACTLY the time - be it for the hour, minute or second hand (only exception of course is when the hour and second hand are directly stand upon the other - but that goes for every analog watch design ).

regards, holger

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Isn't it strange you can record 2 hours of movie on a DVD, but a retail DVD conain sometimes over 4 hours extra's?

Cheers,

Sjors
hi sjors,

this is because the bonus material is usually encoded with a much lower bitrate (picture and sound) than the actual movie. usually when they put audio commentary on a *making of* for instance, the audiotrack will be available in Dolby Digital 2.0 (stereo) with a bitrate of 128kb/s. that is not more data than an avarage quality mp3 recording. but even with a full discrete 5.1 dolby mix the bitrate is at 448kb/s maximum, often only at 384kb/s. not much for six discrete channels on one hand. on the other hand, the bitrate shouldn't be overrated. more important then pure numbers is the quality of the encoding process itself, at least to my personal expierences.

you can put undoubtely 4-8 hours of motion pictures AND sound on a DVD9 (8,5GB), question is what will remain of the pictures quality. (columbia tristar for instance are pretty "good" with low and lower bitrates on their movies...:-| )

regards, holger

1 - 20 of 35 Posts