WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't get a chance to take as many photos as I would like, but thought folks here would enjoy seeing the few that I did get to take.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
So, which one is you?

What kind of stuff can one find at these meets? What are the prices like? Can you find interesting watches? ... wristwatches that is :)

How about tools?

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, which one is you?
Being the photographer has its advantages, one of which is that I managed to avoid being in the photos!

The kind of stuff you find is of course show dependent, but it ranges from the really common to the stuff that you won't see anywhere else. Many folks bring really good stuff for "show and tell" but not for sale.

There were ~130 tables sold at Lexington. I'd guess about 60% of those were watch tables. Of the watch tables, probably 1/4 were exclusively wristwatches, 1/3 exclusively pocket watches, and the rest some mix of the two.

Prices range from bargains to outrageous...of course most prices are negotiable. This is an environment that definitely rewards knowledge.

Both Clockworks and R&M imports were at this particular show...both of them offer some new Swiss tools as well as new Chinese/Indian tools. Keith Williamson makes many of the Midwest area shows, and sells a good selection of older quality lathes, staking sets, and other tools. Many other folks will have a box or two or assortment of old watchmaker tools, although condition is all over the place.

Reactions: qrocks

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Cool
Thanks for sharing those pics.
Wish I was closer to attend (sad)

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some of them only sort of for sale, but none the less everything has a price on it :)

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't get too much of a chance to look, as I was working the registration desk. Renee Coulson, who is a past national officer and current chair of the convention committee, helped me quite a bit with running the registration desk(our chapter is short on volunteers these days) and was able to watch it for the few chances I got to go into the room.

With that said, when folks know what you like, it's not hard to find stuff to buy. Within the first hour, a friend handed me a blazer Waltham '57 Stemwind/Keyset movement(really scarce) and I was able to buy it from him for a good price. Another friend sold me an Illinois keywind with a Kentucky private label I didn't have.

Also, Mike Chamelin was in attendance with his newly published definitive work on 16 size Bunn Specials, and I was able to buy a copy of that from him.

All in all, it was a good show for me I thought!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts