WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one in here has the picture of a seiko wrist watch that cost about $30k (limited item from seiko) and pictures of patek phillppe that cost around $100k (only 50 were made) ?

thnks

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Wow, a Seiko that costs $30k. I guess it's just because I'm an American and in the American market Seiko is... well, yeah. But to me that's like a Geo Metro that costs $2 mil. I mean yes, they have the technology that any automaker has, to produce a superb engine and awesome carbon composite body on a light weight frame, but who the 'ef' would pay that money for a Geo!!??!?!? Wow, is all I'm left with. I'm still surprised that Seiko sells/produces watches costing more than $500, quite frankly. Why establish yourself first (unless I'm wrong and they were initially all high-end) as a reasonable quality mass production low-level to mid-range manufacturer, then go and make something to compete with the high-end lower production (even hand-made) and expect anyone to want one. I know I'm in a minority there, but I just can't see Seiko as anything more than mediocrity at it's most sincerest. Just 'cause they can, doesn't mean they should... I'd rather have a BMW or Lex than some awesome Geo... 'cause in the end... it's still just a Geo/Seiko. I know names shouldn't mean anything, and typically they don't, but there's no way I'm going to sport something on my wrist that can be mistaken for something else of so much lesser quality.. it's demeaning to the product and the owner, in my eyes.

eh... bah humbug, I know I'm a nay-sayer... it's just my personality to be a downer and a hater. ;D

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Beyond the box! Check out Grand Seiko!
At the same time, check out the connection between Lexus and the humble Toyota!

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
I know... but I wasn't comparing Toyota to Lexus... it was GEO... BIG DIFF! Besides, Toyota ROCKS!!! I'd prefer a Toyo to a Lex (lex is overpriced toyo). Same with Honda and Acura... Nisson and Infinity. etc. etc. etc....

I've checked out Grand Seiko... doesn't do anything for me, 'cause all I'll ever see is a $200 watch - Seiko will always be on the dial. Always have, always will, for me it's simply synonymous with the name. Like I said, it's probably because of the market and what they chose to sell here, as opposed to European and Asian markets where they offer the nice stuff. I just can't get past it. I know it's illogical and irrational, but it is what it is. Japanese made... blah, there's enough of that on the bottom of everything encased in plastic that I've ever seen. Another association issue with buying Seiko or Orient or Citizen or... Dang Americans, can't have anything nice around us. ;D

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Beyond! I see what you mean. I like a nice name on the dial too.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I some what have to agree with 'Box' on this one.

I think Seiko should create a new alternate "VERY HIGH END" brand and setup separate distribution/sales chain in US and Europe to sell their high end watches.

Just like Toyo did with Lex and Nissan did with Infi.

Issue is, normal Seiko dealership can NOT cater to and give comparable service to the buyers wanting to purchase watches that are more than 15x the average price of their other offerings.

Would you get same service/treatment in Lex dealer as in Toyo dealer? No, Toyo dealer does not have enough margin per car to be able to afford to spend time with you.

Look at what Volkswagen did with Phaeton!! VW dealers just could not cater to buyers of $100K car and car flopped, it does not mean the car was not worth the price asking, but more like the buyers did not want to get VW service, they wanted MB/BMW service at VW dealership which they just can not get.

I think it is fantastic opportunity for Seiko to be able to establish US market with their Spring Drive watches. If done right, I think Seiko can re-invent them selves in US and Europe as premium watch company.

Looking at Lex, everyone KNOWS that Toyota is the parent company of Lexus but it does not matter at this point, Lexus is considered PREMIUM manufacturer after only 20 years of existence (maybe a little more 25 years?).

Just my thought.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow, a Seiko that costs $30k. I guess it's just because I'm an American and in the American market Seiko is... well, yeah. But to me that's like a Geo Metro that costs $2 mil. I mean yes, they have the technology that any automaker has, to produce a superb engine and awesome carbon composite body on a light weight frame, but who the 'ef' would pay that money for a Geo!!??!?!? Wow, is all I'm left with. I'm still surprised that Seiko sells/produces watches costing more than $500, quite frankly. Why establish yourself first (unless I'm wrong and they were initially all high-end) as a reasonable quality mass production low-level to mid-range manufacturer, then go and make something to compete with the high-end lower production (even hand-made) and expect anyone to want one. I know I'm in a minority there, but I just can't see Seiko as anything more than mediocrity at it's most sincerest. Just 'cause they can, doesn't mean they should... I'd rather have a BMW or Lex than some awesome Geo... 'cause in the end... it's still just a Geo/Seiko. I know names shouldn't mean anything, and typically they don't, but there's no way I'm going to sport something on my wrist that can be mistaken for something else of so much lesser quality.. it's demeaning to the product and the owner, in my eyes.

eh... bah humbug, I know I'm a nay-sayer... it's just my personality to be a downer and a hater. ;D
It's just that Seiko markets itself here in the US as an affordable watch Co.
In Asia, where the Japanese are extremely loyal to their Japanese brands, they can build and sell these luxury items under the Seiko name. If Seiko were to market their higher end luxury watches here in the US, they probably would have to create a new brand name (i.e. Toyota - Lexus).
Go to Wikipedia and read about Seiko a bit. It talks about how they've been at the forefront of watchmaking for over 100 years.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Not to be a hater at all, but "box"'s thinking is extremely correct for an American. Im not hating on the US, trust me ill never want to live anywhere else, but americans need to see a status title in front of their stuff. Theyre not contempt with it being quality, we want to be able to flaunt it too.

A grand seiko is as well made as a (lets say) Rolex, but is seldom purchased because Seiko is advertized as a affordable brand here, so if someone drops 2 large on a GS, they still wont be able to flaunt it and get the "oh my" & "wow thats expensive" 's that they want.

Thats why Toyota, Honda, And NIssan cant sell their high end cars here without giving them luxury names. In the rest of the world, a Lexus SC430 isnt a Lexus, its a Toyota Soarer, and people buy it as a luxury car. Difference? hood ornament.

Its just that people here in the US NEED a fancy title on our big priced items. I mean even i do it, whats the difference between my Caddy and a fully loaded Impala, $20 grand, not much else.....:roll:

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Beyond! I see what you mean. I like a nice name on the dial too.
It's just a 'guilt by association' thing. Not at all to be confused with reality or rational thought. I know they make some top-shelf watches, and as far as I'm concerned it's a fact that they make one of, if not the, best movement available, but that doesn't change what I see them as. It's horrible I know. I just recently tried forcing myself to get over that, and bought a SKX173. I was planning on putting it on a Super Oyster but when I got the watch I almost immediately knew I wasn't going to keep it. Still, I gave it the benefit of some wrist time, but I still didn't like it. It was a decent build quality for sure, time keeping wasn't too shabby at all, considering it was straight out of the box, but the fact is that I never smiled when I looked down at it. I wore it for three days straight and then gave it to my accountant buddy as payment to do my taxes for me this year. Usually I just have to bribe him with a 12 pack, but this time I thought I'd get a couple years worth out of him with the watch. I hate myself! ;D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Its just that people here in the US NEED a fancy title on our big priced items.
Speak for yourself. Not everyone is like that in the US, and yet I'm sure you will find various people who "need" to flaunt their brand name watch to impress others in all countries around the world. I know you didn't intend to sound like a hater, but IMHO you are generalizing about the US.

Regards,
-Jeff

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, back in the 80s or whenever it was, Toyota decided they wanted to compete with Benz and Bimmer, so they made Lexus, Nissan wanted in on it too, so they made Infiniti, and lastly Honda made Acura.

I don't know why I just wrote that.....

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Speak for yourself. Not everyone is like that in the US, and yet I'm sure you will find various people who "need" to flaunt their brand name watch to impress others in all countries around the world. I know you didn't intend to sound like a hater, but IMHO you are generalizing about the US.

Regards,
-Jeff

i know not everyone is like that, thats why theyre called stereotypes. notice i said "our" not "their". i admit to being part of it. ;-)

im just staing a stereotype ive come to notice. Im proud to live here and i literally love this country, but its true, at least around where i am. :roll:

Hope you didnt take it as a hit on you, or anyone else. if so, my bad bro.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Well, back in the 80s or whenever it was, Toyota decided they wanted to compete with Benz and Bimmer, so they made Lexus, Nissan wanted in on it too, so they made Infiniti, and lastly Honda made Acura.

I don't know why I just wrote that.....
And Hyundai will most likely fail with their Genesis unless they come up with some fancy sounding name :roll:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not to be a hater at all, but "box"'s thinking is extremely correct for an American. Im not hating on the US, trust me ill never want to live anywhere else, but americans need to see a status title in front of their stuff. Theyre not contempt with it being quality, we want to be able to flaunt it too.
Maybe you need to start associating with a higher quality of people. This statement seems to be more a reflection on you -- projected on those around you -- than "Americans."

Most of the people I know are more concerned with quality than brand name. Maybe I just tend to hang out with a less pretentious, more intelligent group than you do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts