WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big fan of pie pan dials - think Omega Constellations from the 1960. Unfortunately, at 32-34mm, those Connies are just too small for my tastes.

Is there any microbrand out there that is making, or plans to make, a pie pan style style watch?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope you and I aren't the only ones @Ezy101!! If the market for a pie pan is only the two of us, doubtful one gets made any time soon.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Maybe an old Technos Sky Light at 35mm (and big 42.5mm lug to lug) could be big enough to hold you over while you wait...? :)

(P.S. Did you notice the dial is actually flat and the pie pan effect is achieved instead with the 2 finishes on it and augmented by the dome of the crystal? Genius!)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe an old Technos Sky Light at 35mm (and big 42.5mm lug to lug) could be big enough to hold you over while you wait...? :)

View attachment 15542675

(P.S. Did you notice the dial is actually flat and the pie pan effect is achieved instead with the 2 finishes on it and augmented by the dome of the crystal? Genius!)
@jprg24 No, I didn't see the pan pie effect at first - genius! I never would have guessed the dial is flat. 35mm is still just too small, but I appreciate the suggestion. The shape of the hands, the baton indices, the dial with a slight off shape of silver, all perfect. That is exactly the style watch I'm looking for...just want it a touch larger. I'm currently getting rid of my 35mm watches 'cause I just never wear them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a microbrand, but the Tissot Powermatic 80 has a quasi pie pan dial:

View attachment 15542772 View attachment 15542772
@TracerBullet I've never owned a Tissot, although there is a lot in their styling that I like. But that pie pan effect is not strong enough for me, maybe it's the hard angles I like? But appreciate the suggestion! And I am not wedded to a microbrand, just thought one might be my best shot.

Any other non-microbrand pie pans I should know of?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm not seeing any. Obviously a much more modern style, but this one is kind of a reverse pie pan, if you will. (at least I find it stylish)

We are in the "affordable watches" section, so I didn't post this before. But I'm sure you know the new versions of the Constellation Globemaster come in 39mm and 41mm options. Beautiful stuff...

In the, uh, not-so-affordable-but-still-way-more-affordable-than-Omega category there are 38mm and 40mm Longines Conquest Heritage, a tribute to what was once the direct competitor of the old Omega Constellations.

There's one from Angular Momentum, even though it's 36mm:

Angular Momentum Tage Olsen Classic Ref. 7019

Going back to the more modern (and affordable) style for one last one, there are some with curved dials and domed crystal which give that depth around the edges, although of course they lack those sharp angles. Either way, here's a look. Not bad for around $200:

FEICE Men's Automatic Watch Mechanical Watch Stainless Steel Leather Band Watches Analog Curved Mirror Brushed Finish Casual Dress Watches for Men #FM212

One last idea could be to ask someone who knows about Soviet watches. I don't know why but I think at some point I remember seeing some kind of angular dial.

Happy hunting!

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@jprg24 Thanks so much for putting up so many different suggestions. After looking at them, I suppose it really is the angular, 12 sided, Omega style pie pan that captures my heart. The less angular, gently sloped versions don't do it for me. The Feice is handsome but doesn't have the same effect on me and at 41mm diameter, it is bigger than I like to wear.

The Angular Momentum is closer but there is something about the texture on the dial that is off putting. Like it would be rough to the touch. That being said, I am going to start looking around for those.

And no, I had no idea that Omega Globemaster was out there. At 39mm across, under 13mm thick, the Constellation logo on the back, and a strong pie pan dial it checks ALL my boxes. Except for the price. At $7k, it ain't coming home with me anytime soon, but I now have something new to dream about!

Guess I'm back to hoping that a microbrand includes a pie pan in their line up...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just did a little internet research and it looks like used 39mm Omega Globemasters go for $3500-4000. Better than $7k, but still out of reach for now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
And no, I had no idea that Omega Globemaster was out there. At 39mm across, under 13mm thick, the Constellation logo on the back, and a strong pie pan dial it checks ALL my boxes. Except for the price. At $7k, it ain't coming home with me anytime soon, but I now have something new to dream about!
Hey, you've found a new grail you didn't even know was out there. I'd say that's a successful outcome for a hunt!

Maybe instead of forcing yourself to keep looking for something similar to scratch that itch, start exploring some other styles you like while you save up. There's so much out there! I'm starting the deep dive into microbrands right now myself. Speaking of which...

Guess I'm back to hoping that a microbrand includes a pie pan in their line up...
I did just stumble across this, which made me come back to this thread. I know, no angles... But I figure we might as well keep tossing in all the pie pan options into this one thread in case anyone else finds it down the road.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@jprg24 I was watching a Technos Sky Light on ebay this week and was pretty interested... until the price went over $200 and then I bailed. At 35mm I wasn't so in love with it that I had to have it. But I am keeping my eye out for one and if I find one around $150ish, I'll probably snap it up. Coming back to this thread I realized what a solid suggestion that was! I have a thing for chunky, 70's style indices and hands that aren't super skinny.

·
Registered
12,703 Posts
Does the Vario Eclipse have a pie pan design?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Orient has pie pan models check out the bambino and star classic models.

Not a microbrand though.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts