WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

What is the significance of Pierce chronograph backs - is there any? Does it give any indication of the age of the watch or reveal anything else?

I have seen press fit, I think I saw mention of a 4 screw back. The one I have just bought has an 8 screw back and is marked waterproof on the dial. Mine seems to have a pretty low case#

I have searched a fair bit, not found much, a couple of threads here, nothing on NAWCC, nothing much on MWR - so any info you can point me to would be great. To be honest I would have thought there would be more online resources for Pierce chronographs given their apparent popularity with collectors. Perhaps I just missed it.

Does anyone have any catalogues or other info?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
As a collector of a few old chronographs I had one with same back. It was not expensive and sold profitably after learning it had some kind of odd clutch arrangement in chronograph mechanism that was subject to wear. Mine was fine, however. It was the waterproof version as is yours. Its odd movement I guess makes it interesting to collectors.

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,429 Posts
Pierce were the inventors of the vertical clutch that is becoming standard on most modern chronograph movements. The wear is not really greater than in horizontal clutches (or even swivel pinions) but Pierce used slightly low grade materials (including some plastic, I believe) so that these watches are more prone to deteriorate. Unfortunately, parts are getting very difficult to come by, as it's an in-house movement.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Hi Hartmut,

I disassembled a Pierce 134 recently because I simply was curious how it is
designed. No plastics with one exception: I found a (formerly) soft plastic
washer within the clutch. First I thought that someone tried to make the
chrono function by odd means, and left it out. The chrono worked without
the washer, but ran not synchronously with the sub second.

So this washer was likely applied to provide sufficient friction with low axial
pressure. And if it becomes hard, the clutch may slip (like without washer).
But it is no problem to cut a replacement from e.g. thin silicone-rubber
gasket material. As everything in this mechanism is adjustable by screws,
even the thickness of this washer is of minor importance.

Else everything is made for eternity, and I guess most not working samples
don't due to misadjustment or missing parts.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Hi there,
i have heard that some watchmakers who do routine chronograph repairs will not work on pierce. i always wondered why.
Simply because they are too lazy to analyze the function. The many
adustment devices for the travels of levers and springs make the movement
appear complicated, but it is actually simple, and it is kind of comfort that
everything is adjustable to get it running even with distorted or wrong parts.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
A knowlegable person bought my good Pierce. Now I know why. Its rumored defective movement is not, and its possible to repair or adjust.

Fine work as usual Roland Ranfft.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thank you very much all you guys: thanks

All this information about the Pierce chronos is superb, :-!, particularly because demystifies all about I´ve heard about the service technical problems (availability of parts is a different issue !!)

I ´m the proud owner of two beautiful examples of these particular chronos.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

On the other hand, I heard in some other forum that besides the inner "plastic" , some examples of (chrono?) Pierce used to use cork as :think: O-rings?

PS Hi outlawyer , you must be patient !!

Here are the pics!!

Saludos

Kingmatic

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
thank you very much all you guys: Thanks

all this information about the pierce chronos is superb, :-!, particularly because demystify all about i´ve heard about the service technical problems (availability of parts is a different issue !!)

i ´m the proud owner of two beautiful examples of these particular chronos.

on the other hand, i have heard in some other forum that besides the inner "plastic" , some examples of (chrono?) pierce used to use cork as :think: O-rings?

Saludos

kingmatic
pics man!!!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much for that information everyone. Great pages, from Katolik, and very useful information from Roland. Now having looked at mine, I certainly see how it is very adjustable - lovely. It is running and keeping great time, but the chrono function only works for about 3-4 seconds, so some work needed there :think:

Mine looks almost identical to your gold capped one Kingmatic - except for being marked waterproof on the dial (and having a different back). Have you had any luck dating it, and what does it say on that page you have as a background?? Please move your arm ;-)

More photos please people :-!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I have been hunting around, with some small success...

1939 Chrono advert,
1951 Full range, incl the chrono (part 3), and a
1942 Parashock advert

So....

From this I can see that mine was a Recorder and would have been earlier than 1951 as it is marked waterproof, and by the time of this advert stage is advertising them as water resistant.

If you can please contribute Pierce information to this thread, there is little out there at the moment!

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
I picked-up this Pierce Chrono last spring from a watch auction (Tom Harris Auctions). All functions were supposed to work, but naturally did not not upon arrival. :) I set it aside, but I'd love to locate someone capable of repairing it properly. Any suggestions? I live in Michigan, USA. :)

Regards,

Rick

UPDATE: Oddly, I wound it tonight and it is now running, although not quite perfect. I have not also located someone to service it thanks to the kind people here. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts