WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - not posted here for a long time, but thought i'd just share a picture of my current collection, which has been in a state of almost constant flux for 7 years! I'm pretty happy with what I have now - a fairly representative mix of the broad types of pilot watch and it offers me good variety and interest - i enjoy wearing each one and like them for their different merits.

I wanted an example of each - a three hander 12 hour, a 24 hour, a GMT and a chrono. I started with the Fortis, before i got properly into watches and it grew from there, but it's finally settled into the current line up with the addition of the Glycine dual time 24 hour watch, the famous Speedy Pro and the equally iconic GMT Master. I'm pretty happy with that and its nice to settle on a small collection offering such variety - I've been through a lot of watches, including two other Glycines, a Heure Bundeswehr, a vintage Longines Czech Pilot, a Seiko RAF pilot chrono, a 1969 Seiko Navigator, two other Speedies, a Breitling B1 and a Sinn 103!

What I have now, I think I'm happy with and will stick with that, though an IWC MK XII would be a nice watch to add, some day, but the Fortis does that job and I've been through thick and thin with it, so it won't be going anywhere! Anyway - here's the line up:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Very nice!

The GMT Master II is the last of my "grails" yet to be achieved. I finally have the wifey talked into it, so it's time to start saving up. Hopefully the next year or two...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a grail for me, too and one of the best things is the ability to swap out the bezel inserts, giving you 3 watches in one! It really changes the look. I seem to have settled with the 'Coke' bezel - nice mix of the more understated black bezel but the red half sets the watch apart from the more usual Subs. I like it but have also really enjoyed trying out both the classic Pepsi and the all black bezel. Good luck with the search!

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Congrats on your fine collection! Thanks for sharing.

·
4,410 Posts
I'm not too surprised that you landed on those 4, Ian. After all my GMT-Master and my Speedy Pro are real lynchpins in the collection. Ya shooda kept the Heuer though. She was an absolute beaut! |>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not too surprised that you landed on those 4, Ian. After all my GMT-Master and my Speedy Pro are real lynchpins in the collection. Ya shooda kept the Heuer though. She was an absolute beaut! |>
Thanks Strela - and don't remind me! I loved that Heure with its Flyback chrono, and the Longines, but both were difficult to service etc and I have been trying to find a mix of history and practicality in the collection, which I think I've found. I was always a bit worried about wearing the Heure and the Longines. As true collectors items, though, you can't beat them - superb watches!

The GMT and Speedy make a great pair, I think - coveted yours from your great pictures for long enough!

How about a quick pic, then? 😉

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I think you took an excellent decision to get rid of the Longines CAF.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're killing me! You know - if you ever want to sell that back......you know where to find me!

Reactions: Janne

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
You're killing me! You know - if you ever want to sell that back......you know where to find me!
You will be contacted in case that happends!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
How does the Glycine wear compared to the Speedy?

Also, is it a pain to tell the time on a 24H watch?
Not as comfortable on a bracelet, Id say and it feels a bigger watch because of the flat profile, but on a strap it's very comfortable - reading 24 hour might take a little getting used to to begin with, but it really makes sense after a short while - more closely follows the true day - especially 12 on top models, in my experience. Once you get used to it - 12 hour, or half day, watches just seem to be lacking! I love them.

Check out the 24 hour forum. Good article in the sticky posts there and I have a short review of the Base 22 Airman on there, too.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I do not own a 24h watch, but it seems logical to make a watch in this format. I guess the 12h format stems from inability to manufacture precise cogs on the wheels in the past.
( I guess!)

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do not own a 24h watch, but it seems logical to make a watch in this format. I guess the 12h format stems from inability to manufacture precise cogs on the wheels in the past.
( I guess!)
Im not sure Janus, 24 hour clocks and watches have been around for a long time, especially in the military and in navigation, but I suppose it just has never translated into everyday use.

·
Registered
994 Posts
An excellent collection, and isn't it great to have a sense of contentment with the state of it? Apart from IWC MkXII hankerings, that is!

Now for me to find the funds for a GMT II, too. As opposed to an Airman Base two two....

·
3,631 Posts
My collection has a similar appearance, Ian, except no chronograph (someday I'd like to get a new center minute totalizer watch like the new Sinns coming out). I've also gotten rid of all the beautiful vintage pieces I've owned. I just can't wear them without being worried about them, and I can't own them if I can't wear them.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
... it was also a excellent decision of getting rid of this one :-d

Sorry for rubbing it in, Ian. I just couldn't resist :) I'm happy to see that you got another Airman in your very nice collection! The Speedmaster is one I still have to add to mine, such a classic piece.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
An excellent collection, and isn't it great to have a sense of contentment with the state of it? Apart from IWC MkXII hankerings, that is!

Now for me to find the funds for a GMT II, too. As opposed to an Airman Base two two....
It is indeed nice to feel you ( finally ) have the right sort of line-up and thanks for the compliment on it.

You know you need a GMT II 😉

1 - 20 of 26 Posts