WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm toying around with wanting to photo etch a new dial for my 45mm Pilot style watch. The genre and its designs is pretty generic since they are so simple but I wanted to at least try to do something a bit different than the B-Uhr style/IWC Big Pilot style watches that are out there. I also don't know how precise and how fine I can get the lines with photo etching. It won't be much to get some scrap brass and test a couple different dial designs before I actually etch the dial so I may do a couple different designs and etch them side-by-side at once during testing. Here's round one which is a riff on the IWC Mk XI/Mk XII watches. The movement would be a 6498 and I'd re-use the blued Tourby steel hands that are in the watch right now. Obviously the black/white would be flipped in the actual watch (black dial with white and orange lume). I think I'll end up putting a logo (my last name) on it but I'm not sure about the font on that yet.

So, the first draft of the dial. Critiques? Should I make the hour/minute hashes (and the text) less bold? What about the font choice?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
are the blued hands lumed?
in general, you dial looks very "under-lumed" for pilot style.
Yes, they are lumed. Everything on the dial in that dial will be lumed. I took the picture backwards in color from what it will actually be. The dial will be black and the hashes and hour numbers will be white lume, C1 lume (or equivalent that I can purchase) and the orange will be orange. I'm thinking of doing 2 more designs. One with thinner hashes and numbers, all lumed, and one that will have the numerals and even finer white hashes filled with paint and only the orange lumed, similar to the IWC and JLC Mk XI watches. They only had the 4 hashes and triangle lumed I believe.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a couple more versions. The one on the left is the original dial. The middle one is the same concept with lighter line weights. The one on the right is a sector dial take on a pilot watch. Ended up looking kinda like a cross between an IWC Mk XII and a Stowa Baumster B. It would require me to make some hands as well. The other 2 I could re-use my existing hand set.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
The middle one looks best to me, given those three choices. The split sub dial of the righthand rendering is awkward looking to me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The middle one looks best to me, given those three choices. The split sub dial of the righthand rendering is awkward looking to me.
I'm thinking about redoing that one with a much lighter "intersection". It does look awkward.

Out of this 3 I like the original best
I'd see some versions with other fonts.
The font is my biggest challenge. Right now I'm stuck with system fonts or free downloads but the only ones I've seen that look halfway like they belong on a pilot style watch are Gill Sans, Arial, and Helvetica. Arial and Helvetica look similar to the font on the IWC Mk XII so I went with it for now. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how to get Gill Sans or Helvetica (which is incredibly similar to Arial anyways) into AutoCAD. I might be able to export the dial without numbers as a pdf and then finish it on Photoshop (the light version) on my Mac. If I can figure out how to import a font into a free font editor I might also be able to create something more in line with what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like all of them but the original is my favorite. Regarding the first rendering, I think the kerning of the 10 and 11 should be tightened up. Looks like you did that for the 3 following renderings. Is the first rendering the actual colors or are you reversing them as with the other renderings? I happen to like the colors as drawn!

Also my eyes are playing tricks on me, I suspect, but the height of the 1, 2, 10, 11 numerals at the top of the dial seems slightly taller than the 5, 6, 7 numerals at the bottom of the dial.... I don't see this affect with the other 3 renderings. Perhaps just the kerning effecting it?

Have you experimented with larger numerals?

Looks like a great start!

Sent on iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I like all of them but the original is my favorite. Regarding the first rendering, I think the kerning of the 10 and 11 should be tightened up. Looks like you did that for the 3 following renderings. Is the first rendering the actual colors or are you reversing them as with the other renderings? I happen to like the colors as drawn!

Also my eyes are playing tricks on me, I suspect, but the height of the 1, 2, 10, 11 numerals at the top of the dial seems slightly taller than the 5, 6, 7 numerals at the bottom of the dial.... I don't see this affect with the other 3 renderings. Perhaps just the kerning effecting it?

Have you experimented with larger numerals?

Looks like a great start!

Sent on iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
They should be the same size, I think the angle is creating a bit of an illusion. I didn't take it straight on, I just snapped it at my desk and it ended up on a bit of an angle. I also noticed the kerning and tightened up the 10 and 11.

I haven't thought about a light colored dial but I could do a silver finish. Maybe a rub on silver nitrate finish? It could be a way to make it a bit different than the regular pilot style dial.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More versions. They're rough and need some massaging but you'll get the idea. Can't figure out how to get the triangle and hour hashes at 12-3-6-9 to turn orange so you'll just have to pretend it's not all black and white. One font is BlairMDITC, one is Helvetica, and one is Gill Sans. I'm kinda digging the Gill Sans.

I'm also pretty set on a black dial with white lume.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another take on the one done in Gill Sans I'm kinda digging this the more I mess with it. Pilot-y but different enough from everything else out there, especially with the orange accents on the hour markers at 12-3-6-9 (and the triangle). Any feedback?

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
My question is, is this your 1st dial design? are have you been making them for a while now? I am looking for someone who can design and make the dial. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts