WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good source for Flieger / Aviator / Pilot's leather straps with rivets at the spring bar end. Stowa makes a nice looking strap, but only available in 20mm. Any ideas for sources would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mike W.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rivets are for looks only...

Thanks for the info. on Jurgens, I am looking a picking up a pilots watch or two within the next few months and am trying to get a head start on some straps (I'm the kind of guy that changes straps often).

Thanks again for the replies, Mike W.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If it's for look only, check out steinhart straps, very nice and thick at low price.

·
Vendor
7,319 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
I purchased a black 20mm Jurgens strap a couple of weeks ago and have already had to toss it. I am sure that my experience might be rare, but one of the rivets came undone and I have no idea where it and the backing are. The first time it happened, I was able to locate it and tightened as best I could (no loctite on hand). So, the strap was nice but ultimately failed as one of the rivets was bad I guess. Pretty disappointed as the leather is nice. I am looking for an alternative as well.

Also, I have smaller wrists(7") and had to make my own holes to fit. No big deal but something to be aware of.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I purchased a black 20mm Jurgens strap a couple of weeks ago and have already had to toss it. I am sure that my experience might be rare, but one of the rivets came undone and I have no idea where it and the backing are. The first time it happened, I was able to locate it and tightened as best I could (no loctite on hand). So, the strap was nice but ultimately failed as one of the rivets was bad I guess. Pretty disappointed as the leather is nice. I am looking for an alternative as well.

Also, I have smaller wrists(7") and had to make my own holes to fit. No big deal but something to be aware of.
Did you try contacting Jurgens to see if they would help you out? if you are in the states, Contact Nate at jurgensusa dot com and see if he can help you.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought two from Jurgens after I initially started this thread. They both hit the trash within two or three weeks. Total junk :-(.

Mike

·
Registered
357 Posts
You can always punch a properly-sized hole in another flat strap and use the threaded rivets from the Jurgens straps, with some loctite to keep the two pieces together.

The DiModell Jumbo straps are superb (I'm going to do the punch routine on one of those if the strap I've ordered looks good on a particular pilot's watch). Eddie Platt's "aviator" straps are supposed to be quite nice; they're available with and without rivets/screws. And there are the Hirsch flat models, too.

·
4,076 Posts
Mike, I know Aaron at HKTan will do riveted straps...

·
Registered
520 Posts
You can always punch a properly-sized hole in another flat strap and use the threaded rivets from the Jurgens straps, with some loctite to keep the two pieces together.

The DiModell Jumbo straps are superb (I'm going to do the punch routine on one of those if the strap I've ordered looks good on a particular pilot's watch). Eddie Platt's "aviator" straps are supposed to be quite nice; they're available with and without rivets/screws. And there are the Hirsch flat models, too.
Is there a link to Eddie Platt's site? I tried to search on Google but could not find any reference. Thanks. I am definitely looking for another 20mm aviator strap. The Stowa looks nice and is at the top of my list right now. I am not looking to do my own rivet work, just looking for something off the shelf that is not Jurgens.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Eddie Platts is the owner of TimeFactors, with the link appearing above!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Trent, I have since found some quality straps I am very happy with.

Best, Mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts