WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
The marketing of pink Slava began in Italy in the first half of 1989.
Since May of that year we find the advertising of these watches in magazines. The Italian distributors were Mirabilia (Raketa and Poljot ), Time Trend (Wostok), Finamore (Slava).
Although it is not easy to prove I believe that some of the most beautiful watches in those years were created by Italian graphic designers in commercial relations with the Soviets. I mean, there was a feedback report between Italians and Russians.
It comes to selling not only "russian" watches as they were, but also to adapt or create new ones to suit the tastes of Western audiences. At the same time the watches were often sold with attractive packing: red boxes (Raketa and Slava), wodden boxes (Wostok, Molnija), metal boxes (Poljot), and leather cases (Wostok).
We already know that some very well known Wostok ( Boctok crono 3133, commemorative Komandirskie 1945 with and without black bezel) were the result of imagination and creativity of the Time Trend designers, they had close and continuous relationship with the Wostok, the Italians went several times in Chistopol. It was even created a Wostok with Gorbachev's face and presented during his visit to Italy.
The chain of distribution in Italy was made up of 500 of watchmaker and jeweler! and was easy to find zakaz dials as spare parts in supplies for watchmakers.
Time trend (to be more precise the company VISIO that was the owner of Time Trend and Mirabilia) was a great success in Japan, Singapore, USA (as Time Exchange), just to say some.

I have no proof but I believe that watches as the "pink Slava" or the "medical Slava" are part of this story.
They are watches that is not rare to find in Italian flea-markets and are always in perfect condition. On the other hand I do not remember Ukrainian or Russian sellers having them.
Companies like Time Trend and Finamore also had as core business market of gadget business, conventions, conferences, ...

Here is a page of advertising at that time:

Curiously enough, in the same issue we find a watch with a similar dial:

And why not? the memory of the origin....

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread I just saw one of these pink dial watches on a soviet watch page on FB and fell in love with it so I headed over to eBay and low and behold a seller of Russian watches in Spain had one for sale in what looks to be NOS condtion and it was only $51 so I jumped!!
a quick question, what is the button around the two o'clock marker? I am guessing it's the day adjuster.
cant wait for this one to arrive!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Thanks so much for your speedy replies and the great info!

as to the other three I am already looking for the California dial!
i have this one, an old Sekonda with a really unusual font and font colour and one of the Amphibian SE's from Meranom on their way to me so my Russian collection has suddenly been boosted!

·
Registered
479 Posts
This pink dial Slava looks just... nice? cool? hilarious? stupid? A really unique watch for sure.

I stumbled upon them this afternoon, bookmarked it... there were 10 left for sale, but a couple of hours later only 5, so I quickly grabbed one ;-) If my wife wouldn't like it, I'll wear it.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Well done! I just checked, mines is NOSA for sure. The seller has put it on a nice tan strap but I do like the one that is on a green canvas shown earlier as well.
i really want a California dial now!!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Danilao that looks beautiful! I lived in Florence for a short time in the eighties, beautiful city! Chinochano I was lucky and found one almost immediately for sale on eBay as soon as I discovered this watch yesterday.
someone else posted after me he found ten for sale and by the time he purchased it was down to five, you might want to ask him his source.

I found out about this watch from a fellow that run s a Soviet watch page on Facebook and I asked him what they generally go for and he said between $40-70 mine NOS was $51 not a lot of money for a great watch with a fascinating history and movement!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Danilao that looks beautiful! I lived in Florence for a short time in the eighties, beautiful city! Chinochano I was lucky and found one almost immediately for sale on eBay as soon as I discovered this watch yesterday.
someone else posted after me he found ten for sale and by the time he purchased it was down to five, you might want to ask him his source.
I found these on ebay and luckily grabbed one, but they're all gone now :-(

Here's the link anyway, maybe the seller will have some more in the future:

Orologio Russo Slava CCCP Perestroika Anni 80 URSS 25 Rubini Meccanico | eBay

21 - 40 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.