WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, don't know if this will be the right section to post, but since it is a digital watch someone here might know something about it.

It's a Piratron quatrz translator watch, in good condition, had the batteries in and a little leak from one but I believe it is working (but still have to get new batteries and test obviously).

Had a look around on the internet etc but didn't found much, can you guys tell anything more, aproximate age etc?

Some pics:

·
Premium Member
9,438 Posts
Hello all, don't know if this will be the right section to post, but since it is a digital watch someone here might know something about it.

It's a Piratron quatrz translator watch, in good condition, had the batteries in and a little leak from one but I believe it is working (but still have to get new batteries and test obviously).

Had a look around on the internet etc but didn't found much, can you guys tell anything more, aproximate age etc?

Some pics:

Does it translate Pirate?

·
Registered
28,151 Posts
I'm hijacking this antique thread, as it seems to be the only occurence on WUS for this disappeared brand, and as I've precisely 'inherited' last week-end a PIRATRON :)

Vintage quartz : PIRATRON "Michael Groß" edition

Not much is known about this brand ; it's supposedly the ancestor of the French brand "Pierre Lannier", an entry-level brand, mostly selling their watches in malls and jewelries.

Here's a blog mentioning this theory (translation provided by Google) : https://tinyurl.com/y96mbf6z

It is credited with dubious origins with the evolution in the 80s of a brand of poor quality, now extinct: Piratron . There is currently no way to confirm this rumor, which in any case would be in the spotlight of a company that would have known how to evolve positively
But there's no definitive proof, so, it remains a mystery :think:

My model is a "Michael Groß - Albatross" LE edition :) it probably goes back to the mid-eighties :think:

The watch itself runs perfectly fine (I'm wearing it since last week-end :-! ).
Accuracy/timekeeping is spot on with my computer clock O_O (it hasn't gained/lost a single second in 4 days !).

Its condition is rather good, the plated case has no visible scratches, the only visible defect is a liquid crystal "leak" in the lower left of the screen (which doesn't seem to have any negative on the time keeping :think:

Functions are :
  • Hour-Min-Sec
  • Am/PM or 24h display mode
  • Month-Date-Day
  • Alarm (programmable)
  • Hour Beep
  • ¹⁄₁₀₀ chronograph with LAP function
  • 100m WR

There's no light on this model.

It's a nice reminder of the quartz frenzy of the 80s' and for now, I'm wearing this family inheritance with pleasure :-!
It only took a bit of cleaning and a new battery, and the watch was back on tracks after probably 30 years of sleep :)

Today on Velcro :

·
Registered
28,151 Posts
Ha ha. Totally awesome. Respect to you for embracing this piece of history.
Thanks mate ;-)

Well, honestly, I have a special fondness in my heart for these 'cheap' pieces.

After all, they're still running perfectly fine after decades, this one is still in very good condition, and on top of that, it was free ! What's not to like ? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.