WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says - I wonder would it be possible to rip out movement from Swatch S51 and put it into a different SS case witn new dial/hands?

it seems insanely cool movement but designs really don't excite me... Just a thought...

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Anything is possible with enough time and skill but I believe the movement is sealed into the case. You would have to cut the case open to get it out. Then you will have to find hands that have the right hole size or close and modify them (either by broaching the tubes or soldering new tubes to the hands). You will also have to find a case where the hole is in the right position for the crown or make modifications so it does fit. Then you will need to make a movement holder to hold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,124 Posts
Just buy a Tissot with the Powermatic 80 movement, it shares many of the technological features of the Sistem51 movement, but it is more serviceable.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I think I saw a thread or a blog somewhere where they tore one of these apart and they found that in their opinion it was worse than they cheapest Chinese movement they had seen... I want to say it has a plastic balance wheel... I'm sure it runs fine and gets the job done, but it's hardly something I'd bother transplanting into another case...

·
Premium Member
23,124 Posts
I think I saw a thread or a blog somewhere where they tore one of these apart and they found that in their opinion it was worse than they cheapest Chinese movement they had seen... I want to say it has a plastic balance wheel... I'm sure it runs fine and gets the job done, but it's hardly something I'd bother transplanting into another case...
The plastic balance wheel and pallet fork makes perfect sense for a watch that is designed never to be serviced, since it is self lubricating. If your intention is to run a movement to the ground, then the watch is much more likely to stop first due to the lubrication drying up on a metal component than the plastic parts wearing out. In any case, the use of plastic escapements is hardly new, in particular, it is used in the ETA 2842 that the earlier Swatch automatics are fitted with.

That "tear down" was done with extreme prejudice, and he truly butchered the movement. I guess he didn't take too kindly to a movement that was designed to be impossible to service. While I understand that the watch was soldered together, he could have unsoldered the parts, although I guess a soldering iron and solder aren't necessarily in the usual equipment arsenal for a watchmaker.

Reactions: Cr15py

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Just buy a Tissot with the Powermatic 80 movement, it shares many of the technological features of the Sistem51 movement, but it is more serviceable.
From what I hear, it would be more accurate to take the "more" out of this sentence. The powermatic is serviceable. Period. :)

I have seen a S51 in person. Didn't appeal much to me. Then I read this: Review: A trip inside the Swatch Sistem51 / ETA C10111 | Watch Guy. It shattered my perception. I really wanted to like this watch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts