WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

141 - 160 of 1238 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hey all,

I'm in the process of joining the PO2500 club. I currently have 2 PO8500s and was determined to track down a 42mm PO2500d version. I found one through one of our forum sponsors here. Apparently it's been very lightly used and comes with all paperwork and boxes. The only "issue" is that the red dot is missing, which bothered me at first but I soon got over it.

There's a 5 day return policy if I'm not happy with the watch. So that's reassuring. Is there anything I should do within the 5 day period to ensure it's worth keeping? I was thinking taking it to Omega in NYC and having them do a diagnostic. The fact that the red dot is missing makes me paranoid that an unqualified person maybe did a service on it or tampered with it. Should I just go ahead and have Omega do a full service even if it's running great and keeping good time? I feel like this would be similar to starting fresh with a new watch and I'd know exactly what's done. Since it's a watch I don't plan on selling, I wouldn't mind doing this.

What else should I check while I have the watch during the 5 day return period?

PS...I don't have the watch yet. It should come tomorrow

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
My two cents... Do you trust the seller? As the seller is a forum sponsor I've got to believe you're 100% ok. That said I'd recommend a service anyway as a best practice.

Sent from a tiny keyboard

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Did you not ask why or doesn't the seller know. In some cases those red dots wear off without being touched. Are they still replaced with blue dots after a service? How old is it.

And can you swim? If you can afford it, and it gives you peace of mind then get it serviced.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My two cents... Do you trust the seller? As the seller is a forum sponsor I've got to believe you're 100% ok. That said I'd recommend a service anyway as a best practice.

Did you not ask why or doesn't the seller know. In some cases those red dots wear off without being touched. Are they still replaced with blue dots after a service? How old is it.

And can you swim? If you can afford it, and it gives you peace of mind then get it serviced.
A lot of times when dealers get these in to resell, they don't know the previous history. This is the case here. The vendor's best guess was that it was not opened for service, but rather someone opened it to authenticate the piece. I guess a fresh service by Omega wouldn't hurt. This was I'll know exactly what was done and who did it.

Watch should be delivered today. Will post pics here later.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
A lot of times when dealers get these in to resell, they don't know the previous history. This is the case here. The vendor's best guess was that it was not opened for service, but rather someone opened it to authenticate the piece. I guess a fresh service by Omega wouldn't hurt. This was I'll know exactly what was done and who did it.

Watch should be delivered today. Will post pics here later.
Yeh, if he's not aware of the history, which is pretty normal, it could wear off. I'm pretty sure mine did before it's service. Whatever, the blue dot is gone now too. Out of interest, why 2 x 8500? Different sizes, or colours?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yeh, if he's not aware of the history, which is pretty normal, it could wear off. I'm pretty sure mine did before it's service. Whatever, the blue dot is gone now too. Out of interest, why 2 x 8500? Different sizes, or colours?
Yessir. Of the 2 8500s, one is black and one is orange and the incoming one is a 2500d with black dial and non-orange numberals. I think I have a unhealthy love for POs. The money I spent on this latest 2500d was supposed to be for a Speedmaster Pro but I just couldn't find myself loving that watch yet. Maybe in time it'll grow me on. But I'm not one to get a watch just because everyone else loves it.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The PO is addictive. I've resisted any of the 8500, but may not be able to hold out for much longer... Awaiting the new collection, which I'm not overly keen on, but I would still be interested to see them, in case they've held back something that isn't Fisher Price-esque... And I've just noticed your signature! Sorry about that. I didn't see it when I asked the question.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The PO2500 is one of my absolute favorites. It is as close to perfectly done as I think it ever gets in the watch industry. The dial, bezel, case, and bracelet all just flow together. Much smoother looking than most other comparable divers, can dress up or dress down, etc., etc. I think it's extremely underrated and punches well above its weight still to this day. I briefly considered a PO8500 but really liked the thinner case and features on the PO2500 42mm in particular. Bought it for a great deal second hand and the rest is history! I don't think I'll ever sell mine

·
Registered
957 Posts
Very happy with my new purchase shown a few posts above. It's running about +1 sec per day, which I think is fantastic and is only very slightly better than my PO8500. Since I bought this watch second hand, I brought it to the Omega boutique in NYC over the weekend and asked them do perform a complimentary evaluation and they said the watch is performing great and doesn't need a service in the immediate future. This is going to replace my SMPc that I bought new and that's only been worn less than 5 times. I'm going to surprise my dad and give it to him.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ugh man, I'm currently in quite a dilemma... I bought a 42mm 2500 to accompany my XL 2500, but I don't even wear the 42mm :( I guess I sell the little one, and keep the fat one? Or do I lose so much weight that the 42 doesn't look too small on my wrist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Ugh man, I'm currently in quite a dilemma... I bought a 42mm 2500 to accompany my XL 2500, but I don't even wear the 42mm :( I guess I sell the little one, and keep the fat one? Or do I lose so much weight that the 42 doesn't look too small on my wrist?

The 42mm looked massive on my 6.75" wrist until I put on the XL. The 45mm looks like I'm wearing a dinner plate.

You should try wearing the 42mm for a few days and it won't look so small.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #160

That's funny - I keep my 45.5 2500 on the same rubber strap. My 42mm stays on the steel.

What's your wrist size? Mine 7" and at the outset I thought my 42 looked too small but really it now feels spot on.

141 - 160 of 1238 Posts