WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This truly falls under the most common this or that threads AND a comparison of watches that have a significant price difference BUT here we go.

I’ve been saving up and raiding the couch cushions for an iconic daily diver. After a failed Pelagos purchase I got to thinking about the ceramic grey Planet Ocean 42mm that I had passed on and am/was thinking its “the one”.
But then I started looking more closely at the blue 43.5mm PO. It turns out that I had seen one at a Burdeen’s near my work but at the time I didn’t linger on it, thinking it to be too glossy.
Fast forward to now. After watching a nice review of the 8500, it struck me how the reviewer mentioned it’s true lug to lug to be around 53.5mm because the center links on the bracelet stick out so far. This seems pretty long for a 42mm watch. The blue 43.5’s links don’t extend as far and even though the watch is bigger, the video I saw noted how well it wears despite its bigger size. After seeing lots of pics the blue and it’s glossy bezel aren’t as glossy as I thought. The lights in Burdeen’s were really bright!
So I’m wondering what the forums experience is with these size and model of Planet Oceans. My choices would be to buy a 8500 (I have about $3k saved) and possibly save for the 8900 or keep saving and keep an eye out for a used blue 43.5. Btw, my wrist size is about 7 inches

Thanks in advance for your time.
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Your point about the end links is spot on - it's what makes the XL 2500 and 8500 wear far larger than their diameter suggests.

The 8900 is perfect size for a 7" wrist but don't underestimate the bling factor. It's hard to capture in photos but in real life it's way more "in your face" than the 8500. There's loads of polished surfaces and the way they catch the light makes it shine excessively for a tool watch. You just need to try it out in person, there's no other way to experience it.

To be honest, to me that was a bigger issue than the size!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your point about the end links is spot on - it's what makes the XL 2500 and 8500 wear far larger than their diameter suggests.

The 8900 is perfect size for a 7" wrist but don't underestimate the bling factor. It's hard to capture in photos but in real life it's way more "in your face" than the 8500. There's loads of polished surfaces and the way they catch the light makes it shine excessively for a tool watch. You just need to try it out in person, there's no other way to experience it.

To be honest, to me that was a bigger issue than the size!
This is spot on and I agree with it. I have worn both and the 8500 is currently part of my collection and it does wear slightly big than you would expect. However, aesthetically I do prefer the 8500 for the exact reason above. I’m actually considering selling my PO, so if you end up considering 8500, shoot me a PM. Either way, they are both fantastic watches.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Save a bit more and get the 43.5. The end links make it fit nicely on a wide range of wrist sizes. The METAS movement is extremely accurate, while the ceramic dial and Liquidmetal bezel take it a couple steps up the ladder from the already excellent 8500.

I recently sold my 8900 black dial and am already considering another.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't own any of these great pieces, but I have tried both on at an AD. For a slightly sub-7 inch wrist, I have to say the 43.5 did wear more comfortable than the 42mm. This surprised me a lot to be honest! So if I were you, I'd keep saving for the 8900. Although it is not as much as a toolwatch as the 8500, I do prefer the Master Chronometer spec as well as the liquidmetal/ceramic construction. Cheers! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did have some problem sliding my 8900 PO under some slimmer fit dress shirts, but with a 7 inch wrist, I have been happy with the wear-ability, considering its size.

The Glossiness of 8900 is not as obnoxious either.

However, if you can, consider getting it with a bracelet, as 8900 PO with a strap makes it feel as if somebody put a Volvo station wagon on top of my wrist =P

·
Banned
1 Posts
Go with the 8900, this movement is scary accurate. I have owned a couple, I traded away the orange and came back. It wears thinner than it really is, the way they designed the bracelet sel at the case really aids in it hugging the wrist. I tried the OEM rubber strap and it is not shaped correctly for me. It made the case sit up too high on my wrist and made it feel a bit too too heavy. The ceramic dial and bezel are mesmerizing. The micro adjusting clasp is a huge plus for me and often overlooked with the 8900. All of this for just a little over 4K is a real bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have the 42mm 8500. I really like the matte bezel and non-glossy dial. I like the new 43.5 size, but I woiuld like it more without the glossy dial and bezel. The charcoal bezel of the 8500 is one of my favorite features of the watch.

I'm going to pick up an adjustable clasp for the 8500 at the Omega boutique when I'm in Dallas next week and just stick with what I've got.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all.

Just an update. I thought I had a nice deal lined up on an 8500 but the deal didn't happen - mutual decision. The seller wore it for a bit and started reconsidering the sale, and it wasn't in as top condition as I thought.

After a lot of back and forth, I went with a Pelagos for a couple reasons. From a fit point of view, I was skeptical of the long lug to lug of the 8500. Economically, after that deal didn't happen, I didn't have a line on a decent deal on one any longer. I could have held out but a good deal on a Pelagos came up and it ticked all the boxes. The end links drop straight down so it fits my wrist really well. The clasp is a dream. I have used the micro adjust a number of times in the few days I have owned it. It's also under warranty which is a nice safe guard.

I love it in terms of aesthetics in totally different ways than the Planet Ocean. I think that I can wear this and enjoy it, save and if I want to go with a blue 43.5mm when the time is right I won't lose much and have a great time piece in the meantime.

I appreciate all the insight. It is now stored in the WIS archives.

All the best,
Neil

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I sold the Pelagos! LOL . While I search for a Planet Ocean I have a couple quick questions:

The warranty on an 8500 Planet Ocean - is it 4 years? I read on a linked manual that the 8500's with the Si14 balance spring is 4 years...but other sites are inconclusive. One that I'm interested in...the owner is the 2nd owner...the warranty card has the last 2 numbers of the date year cut off. Like the dealer missed when they stamped it. Will the serial number be enough to submit a warranty claim if it's under warranty? He says it was bought in 2015 but no original receipt.

Also, the serial number is on the movement right? So to really help verify it's authentic, I should be able to match the number on the cards, to the case and movement. Is that generally enough?

Lastly, is having the red box vs the nice hardwood case an indication of anything? Wouldn't one normally get the nice wood case?

Best,
Neil

·
Registered
291 Posts
That's correct, the warranty on the 8500 PO is 4 years.

I would think the serial number would be enough for a warranty claim if needed, I haven't had to send one in yet though.

The serial number is on the bottom of the lug at the 7:00 position, and is also on the movement in the same location.

I believe the wood case is somewhat newer. I have the red box, and acquired my Planet Ocean in 2014.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right on, just trying to get a gauge on what to expect on an older planet ocean...knowing what typically comes with it.

The hunt continues!

Best,
Neil

·
Registered
201 Posts
I tried on a blue 8900 at the boutique, I liked how it sat on the wrist with the new bracelet vs the 8500, but as mentioned above the shine from the dial and bezel does stand out conpared to others. I previously had an electric blue SMP and while I liked it, the bling factor was too much and I felt on the 8900 it might be the same thing at some point ao I pulled the trigger on a recently serviced 2500.

Reactions: solar g-shocker

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a 8500 or a 8900 PO but am curious about the bezel diameters.

From searching I read that the 8500s bezel is 40mm while the 8900s bezel is 42mm. Can someone confirm this?

EDIT: I confirmed it myself.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
^X2 the 43.5 wears small and when on the bracelet sits tight and even “loses” some of the height imo. If you’re into movements, all I can say is it probably matches or beats anything out there with the exception of quartz. Mine has been averaging between 0 and +0.5 spd for several months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
solar g-shocker, you need to try both on. I did and chose the Ti 8500. The 8900 while only a couple MMs larger (case, bezel, dial) makes a difference or at least it did to me on my wrist.

I recently sold my 16600 and wanted something with similar specs but a more updated look and the 8500 was perfection to me, other than the height of the case of course which doesn't bother me in the last. The bezel, dial and case size in general was almost identical to the SD and Sub (16610) for that matter. I tried on a bracelet 8900 and to me it wore larger and didn't feel as comfortable on the wrist, it felt like a large clunky chunk of steel. While others seem to love the weight of the SS PO I personally love the lack of weight on the Ti PO. I'm a 2 watch guy, 1 dressy / 1 sporty. I have an all gold 36mm DJ on a President bracelet. With both watches sized to my wrist the PO weights 3.27g less than my DJ!

I've been timing it these past few days and its been running +2.1 seconds a day fast. Not too bad.

Good luck in whatever model you choose.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts