WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the PO has AR on both sides of the crystal but with the ceramic dial I’m having a hard time telling if I’ve scratched the AR or not. 88E848C1-E948-40D3-8994-E635EB5A17CE_1558541898314.jpeg I took this picture after thoroughly wiping down the sapphire

Also the sapphire is a smudge magnet any recommendations for keeping it clean or less prone to smudging. Currently I wipe it with a microfiber cloth. I would appreciate any pictures of people who have scratched the AR for reference.

A few pictures of double reflections the ceramic dial can cause.
View attachment 14170057 4FDAB931-79EA-44C6-B14F-3E8D495552D1_1558542301148.jpeg

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't see any scratches, only reflections. If the watch is completely clean, the indeces and hands can reflect like crazy, and often will look like little hairlines in the right light. AR scratches will be more noticable.

As far as getting rid of smudges, a microfiber cloth will work well unless it's been used a lot. As some point it'll just smearing around oils. Give the watch a wash every now and then with some soap and water, that helps the most.

Here's a photo of mine in bright, hard sunlight. As you can see, it looks completely scratched up
I can assure you these are all reflections from all the indeces. If you look closely at your clean watch under soft light, you'll be able to see if there's a scratch or not. 20190522_103058_1558546615276.jpg

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assumed it was reflection but figured I would ask around on here to verify. Has anyone removed the outer AR on their PO? How durable is the outer AR?

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
One of the reasons I sold my PO was the multi reflections in sunlight so I know where youre coming from as I thought the same thing about the AR coating. Hard to tell from your pics but when I scratched the AR on my 2500 PO with matte dial it looked like a slight rainbow smudge rather than a scratch so youre probably OK. The POs are beautiful watches and look stunning in normal light but in sunlight I found it was like a mirror ball. Same with the Sub C. Still lusting after a blue PO though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone removed the AR from a PO?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Why would you want to, just to get rid of these reflections?

Personally I love it because it makes the crystal disappear; a few people have asked me if my PO even has a crystal because it's so invisible in indoor lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Mine developed scratches on the outside AR and had it removed. You still get the inside AR so end result was good / reflections were minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My original question was in regards to my watch because I couldn’t tell if I had scratched the AR. The only reason I asked about removing the outer AR was in regards to scratches, I am fairly tough on my watches and most only have inner AR. I’m curious as to how easy it is to scratch in regards to the PO. Also after a point do people have removed it. If it they did have the outer AR removed were they happy with how the watch looked after.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine developed scratches on the outside AR and had it removed. You still get the inside AR so end result was good / reflections were minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Who removed the AR for you? Do you have any pictures of the scratched PO AR so I have a better reference for my watch?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just recently removed the outer AR coating on mine as well: https://www.watchuseek.com/f20/plan...al-my-first-omega-4759339-6.html#post48682303

I didn't take a photo beforehand, but you can distinguish scratches from reflections because they are not parallel to the hands or markers.
But you have to keep in mind that any of those reflections that look like scratches can be from any of the glossy surfaces on the dial, and because of the glossy ceramic, each if those reflections becomes 3. So what might appear to be a scratch at 4 o clock, could be a reflection from the tip, not side, of the 9 o clock marker for example.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Here's something I drew up to highlight the issue.

There are essentially a number a reflections you could be seeing from any of the polished surfaces. Usually you get one from the ceramic dial and a second one from the crystal. Often you'll get a third from the reflection on the AR crystal from the reflection of the dial. And again, sometimes you see a reflection from, let's say a hand, and mistake it for a reflection from one of the indeces. So it takes some careful observation to see just where one of these reflections is coming from. It's not always whatever marker is closest.

So here I drew corresponding colors between markers, hands, etc. And 2 common reflections. As you can see, it can be very easy to misjudge which reflection is coming from where. That's just the nature of so many polished surfaces. I have a feeling many are jumping to conclusions with their "scratches" without realizing this.

View attachment 14199113

1 - 12 of 12 Posts