WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full disclosure, I'm a crack head. So, I have a once in a life buying opportunity. I sold a toy I said I would never sell, to buy my grail... Grand Seiko Spring Drive diver. About to pull the trigger. Lusted over it for 15 years. Recently bought a GS SD GMT instead, now I will have two. I like the GMT for being more dressy.

So looking at autos, suggestion tossed out (thanks Jetdrive) what about SMP? Well heck, takes me back to Planet Ocean. I have lusted after a PO for as long, but said I would never get an auto. Accuracy is important. Love spring drive. Except... POs are just perfect, and I did say if I ever got an auto, it would be a co-axial. Checks the unique box.

So, my killer opportunity, I could get either. The PO is better long term purchase holding value. Serviced in US. The bracelet and clasp crushes the GS. Display back, 600m, ceramic bezel, chronometer. Hour jump.

The SD is classic Seiko. Great lume. Thinner, arguably better finish. I actually don't care for bracelet or clasp. Too sparkly and bulky. I will replace. Longer service interval, quartz accuracy.

I have a UX for hard use. Either will be everyday use. GTM for nice. I have to decide if co-axial will truly satisfy long term. Will accuracy bug me? I can get SD and still get cheap auto for giggles. The PO is so beautiful and features just rock.... Errr.... What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If both are grails does the 'holds value' issue hold water (so to speak)? Accuracy? Is the P.O. better than S.D. Seiko? Does accuracy really matter to you? To steal a phrase, "Does it bring you joy?"

Appearance/ styling? You appear to favor the P.O. and why not? It's legendary, and competing w/ legends is difficult, so many expectations. Will you feel satisfied 5 years from now?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would totally go for the 5 days Spring Drive! The case and movement trump everything else in the price range. And while it looks huge, it wears much smaller.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Have yet to see a GS diver i truly liked. So PO for me.
Mr Pongster, have you checked out the 5 day SD LE diver? I don't like GS divers, but that one was great when I tried it on. Very angular and bold case and somehow fits on my wrists (I have trouble with most 40+ watches)

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Mr Pongster, have you checked out the 5 day SD LE diver? I don't like GS divers, but that one was great when I tried it on. Very angular and bold case and somehow fits on my wrists (I have trouble with most 40+ watches)
yes sir. The one with the new slim movement? It’s available here. Tried it on. Still found it very big.

·
Registered
494 Posts
yes sir. The one with the new slim movement? It’s available here. Tried it on. Still found it very big.
I mean, its a 47x16mm watch after all :) . Imho, wears smaller than on paper. I only suggested it because the PO is also a very chunky watch that wears smaller than its dimensions would suggest.

Reactions: Pongster

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the Planet Ocean chronograph with the Orange bezel. It is beautiful watch and I absolutely love the dial.

Just two points of caution.

Firstly, as has already been said, this is a chunky watch.
Secondly, to change the date, you have to turn the hour hand round and round; it doesn't have a quick date change function so if you haven't worn it for 10 days, it will take a bit longer to bring it up to date again.

If I had my time again, I would probably go for the non chrono version.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually saw one at an AD... The 5 day. Ya, that's huge. No go for me. The PO is big ish, but no real issue. The PO and GS are about the same... The GS is thinner which is nice.
I mean, its a 47x16mm watch after all :) . Imho, wears smaller than on paper. I only suggested it because the PO is also a very chunky watch that wears smaller than its dimensions would suggest.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the Planet Ocean chronograph with the Orange bezel. It is beautiful watch and I absolutely love the dial.

Just two points of caution.

Firstly, as has already been said, this is a chunky watch.
Secondly, to change the date, you have to turn the hour hand round and round; it doesn't have a quick date change function so if you haven't worn it for 10 days, it will take a bit longer to bring it up to date again.

If I had my time again, I would probably go for the non chrono version.

Good luck with your choice.

View attachment 15863941
That's good to know. It has hour jump,but no date set. Good thing is this would be my daily so it should not sit around too long.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hard to beat a Spring Drive in terms of accuracy... The PO is very accurate, I mean almost no deviation whatever the position, but if it is +2 s/day then it will remain +2 s/day... everyday...

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hard to beat a Spring Drive in terms of accuracy... The PO is very accurate, I mean almost no deviation whatever the position, but if it is +2 s/day then it will remain +2 s/day... everyday...
And honestly, that's pretty amazing. I like HAQ. Been tracking the UX... It's like - 0.7 sec for the first month. My SD is around +2 sec/mo. Certainly within spec, others report better. Awesome.

That will wear off, I'll stop checking. A mechanical that is +2/day.... Every month, when I change day, I have to hack it one minute... That's pretty amazing. Will it bother me... It's not like I ever
check any watch I ever had.

If I actually planned it... Daily use should be spring drive, and leave auto for occasional. Opposite of what I'm doing... But still, the PO is a beautiful diver, and my GMT is a beautiful nice watch.

I keep reading co-axial... And the 8500... And it's checking a lot of boxes.

·
Registered
29,680 Posts
PO for me as well, not a fan of GS divers.

Reactions: Scbr24

·
Registered
822 Posts
Love Grand Seiko, but don't care for the GS diver aesthetic, much prefer the Seiko SLA and LX lines. Omega wins this one.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I don’t have the GS diver, but I do have a Planet Ocean and a Grand Seiko. The only thing I can tell you with certainty is that whichever you choose will be a great watch, will make you very happy whenever you look at it, and you will never feel like you made a bad choice. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don’t have the GS diver, but I do have a Planet Ocean and a Grand Seiko. The only thing I can tell you with certainty is that whichever you choose will be a great watch, will make you very happy whenever you look at it, and you will never feel like you made a bad choice. Good luck!
I like you. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts