WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree with the peeps above me. GS's most desirable machines are typically in the dress/sport category.

Even though GS fit and finish is higher than Omega and Rolex, the Swiss luxury divers are still better overall packages IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Powerman,
Depends which model Omega Planet Ocean. The older 2500s I would go that way. But between the newer models of the Omega PO, and Grand Seiko Spring drive, GS would be my choice. What one do you like best? Vance.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with the peeps above me. GS's most desirable machines are typically in the dress/sport category.

Even though GS fit and finish is higher than Omega and Rolex, the Swiss luxury divers are still better overall packages IMO.
You kinda nailed it and why it's a problem. Love Seiko, love spring drive. The only thing I don't like about my GMT is it's too nice and I can't wear it more. Decided to make it happen, get the diver. But I really don't like the bracelet and clasp. And we know GS, but it's a lot of money for "just" a Seiko diver... Even though... Grail.

But POs have ALWAYS flipped my switch. And after all the looking, and all the divers, and all the features... The PO is perfect "for me". Everything. Dial, asthetics, bracelet, glasp, name... I said I didn't want an auto... But it's a DAMN GOOD auto. About as good as it gets... So ya, the whole package... The only problem is saying no to the spring drive and getting an auto.

... But I do have a spring drive, and I do have a tool watch.... Both are smaller than the PO if I want a change...

·
Registered
180 Posts
You kinda nailed it and why it's a problem. Love Seiko, love spring drive. The only thing I don't like about my GMT is it's too nice and I can't wear it more. Decided to make it happen, get the diver. But I really don't like the bracelet and clasp. And we know GS, but it's a lot of money for "just" a Seiko diver... Even though... Grail.

But POs have ALWAYS flipped my switch. And after all the looking, and all the divers, and all the features... The PO is perfect "for me". Everything. Dial, asthetics, bracelet, glasp, name... I said I didn't want an auto... But it's a DAMN GOOD auto. About as good as it gets... So ya, the whole package... The only problem is saying no to the spring drive and getting an auto.

... But I do have a spring drive, and I do have a tool watch.... Both are smaller than the PO if I want a change...
Indeed, and I feel like the bracelet and clasp are too consistent through the GS line. My quartz GS bracelet is so similar to what you get from the spring drive and auto models. If you are spending more, I think bracelet quality must increase. The push buttons also have too much play.

Like you said though, spring drive is a technical marvel, I don't even care much about high beat movements. That smooth sweep is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Powerman,
Depends which model Omega Planet Ocean. The older 2500s I would go that way. But between the newer models of the Omega PO, and Grand Seiko Spring drive, GS would be my choice. What one do you like best? Vance.
The one I always wanted was the orange numerals. I liked the orange bezel but would never get it. Now the new orange numerals with quarter orange bezel... That might be the one. The Ti one is cool, but ehh... Just wore GMT the other day. Beautiful. Stunning. GS is so good. I had a DB 45mm/16mm 220gr, and then Garmin same size. Size doesn't bother me for PO. The PO is a better diver even if the GS is a better watch.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one I always wanted was the orange numerals. I liked the orange bezel but would never get it. Now the new orange numerals with quarter orange bezel... That might be the one. The Ti one is cool, but ehh... Just wore GMT the other day. Beautiful. Stunning. GS is so good. I had a DB 45mm/16mm 220gr, and then Garmin same size. Size doesn't bother me for PO. The PO is a better diver even if the GS is a better watch.
Yes, the pin stripes and polishing on bracelet are "nice", but so what. That dive clasp is terrible. Stamped, too thick, don't even care how functional. To me, it's just such a fail, from a company that gets every other detail perfect. Those dials...

And you look at the Omega clasp... Same function... Machined work of art. Sliding micro adjust. Amazing.

But ya... That sweeping second. Love just watching

1 - 9 of 9 Posts