Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE BATTLE OF THE DIVERS

The contenders:
The Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8900
VS
The Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000

Which would you prefer? (aesthetics, wearability, function, and value)

Here are my two “big divers”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
979 Posts
Don't understand how Rolex could release a watch with that kind of bracelet-lug misalignment. That being said, I don't really like the 8900 version of the PO and the Sea-Dweller is probably my favorite of the vanilla Rolexes, so I would go with the Rolex in this very particular case.

Of course, if the only criteria is that the watch has to be a big diver, then I would always choose the Ploprof. Just look how pretty he is: :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a Seadweller 4k and a Planet Ocean 2500. If I had to objectively pick one to keep it would be the Seadweller. It's just a great modern interpretation of a classic design. It's funny because it's such a simple design that we're all used to, but something about the way they executed the 4k is great. The bezel, the matte dial, maxi markers, proportions it all comes together to form a special watch.

That being said I love the PO and it's special in its own right, but like I said objectively speaking it's the Seadweller for me.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

Sigh... my first "big" watch purchase was a 2500c PO. Man that was awesome. Sold it. Regretted it and bought an 8500. Swore off Rolex for life! Too much money for a watch! And then I got the 116600.

I recently sold/traded my 8500 simply because I found myself not wearing it as my 116600 was a daily wearer. It's so much nicer, more accurate than the 8500, fits my wrist better.

I love the POs, but just not so much anymore. They're really clunky and I still have my 9300 though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,507 Posts
Sea-Dweller, any day of the week. |>

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have some time so heres a more thoughful response.

Aesthetics - Entirely subjective but PO 8900/8800 for me. The SD 4000 is very nice and definitely my favorite of the SD models. If i had to choose between some other PO models and the SD 4000, i would go SD 4000.

Wearability - I've played around with the SD 116660 (hated the look and feel), but never tried on the DS 4000. The DS 4000 is smaller than the PO 8900 and generally smaller watches fit better. I think a better comparison would be the SD 4000 vs PO 8800 which share the same proportions.

Function - Both watches are specialized dive watches but the SD is on another level of function. The depth rating on the DS dwarfs that of the PO. For those actually using this for saturation diving a manual escape valve makes little sense. For actual professional diving purposes the DS wins.

Value - Again highly subjective. For the majority of people its tough to argue that either has any value. But since the PO 8900 is the less expensive and delivers the equivalent if not better specs than the DS 4000 in real world settings i would pick say the PO. On the other hand if its being used for its intended purpose which i have no idea about the DS may very well provide more value.

·
Registered
113 Posts
PO if this was likely to be a short-term watch, but if I wanted a watch I was going to hang on to forever I would get the SD4K.

Obviously, they're both great watches. I just think that the design of the SD4K is a bit more classic to the POs modern.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sea Dweller I owned a PO 2500 and never could get use to the HEV placement and had to let it go.

·
Premium Member
15,894 Posts
The 116600 SD4K is IMO an iconic watch that had only a brief three-year run before being discontinued in favor of the larger SD43. With the relatively short run of the SD4K, there is no reason why it will hold its value and likely appreciate. I'm definitely holding on to mine.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,272 Posts
SD40K is a lot more money, so I don't know if I would say its a fair comparison.

For ultimate tool watch, its hard to argue with SD.

But for the current market value, I would go with PO 8900 in titanium on bracelet. Its much better value proposition than SD4K, and I have the left-over money for another watch :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
This. HEV wart is fugly and manual operation is absurd. Just my opinion.

Sea Dweller I owned a PO 2500 and never could get use to the HEV placement and had to let it go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
ah yes, the manual HEV for the 0.0001% of us who will ever go saturation diving. The average diver with a PADI open water cert will go 18m down. it's there for conversation and identification.

@Stockae92, do you like the orange and grey ti? i think that color option is pretty ugly compared to the blue ti the 8500 offered. if they kept the same color way, i think it'd be immensely more popular.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,272 Posts
ah yes, the manual HEV for the 0.0001% of us who will ever go saturation diving. The average diver with a PADI open water cert will go 18m down. it's there for conversation and identification.

@Stockae92, do you like the orange and grey ti? i think that color option is pretty ugly compared to the blue ti the 8500 offered. if they kept the same color way, i think it'd be immensely more popular.
wait what? The blue one is not titanium anymore? Why would they change that?? I liked the blue one!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts