WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my planet ocean last Thursday and I wear it everyday during the day. But I decided yesterday to give it a break, so I strapped on my seiko kinetic instead....came home that evening to see the planet ocean was still keeping time. :) So this morning I planned to wear it..Ok, I ended up wearing it..but the watch died! It started moving while I was driving ...but I thought this guy had a 44 hour reserve? Now I'm trying to reset the time....Can you guys tell me what position to do this in? Is my Main crown a screw down or a PULL-OUT crown? Does this watch need constant winding? I thought the seamaster automatics rarely have to be wound?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If you don't know how the crown works you obviously never manually fully wound the watch. An automatic watch should be fully wound before first being worn (or whenever it has come to a stop). This is necessary for best time keeping and to get the maximum power reserve.

This watch has a screw-down crown. Unscrew it and give it 40-50 turns of the crown (clockwise) to fully wind it (you may hear some "clicks" from the overwind protection mechanism when it is fully wound).

Date setting is in the second position of the crown and time setting is in the third position of the crown.

I suggest you spend some time reading the instruction manual that came with your watch! ;-)

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I received my planet ocean last Thursday and I wear it everyday during the day. But I decided yesterday to give it a break, so I strapped on my seiko kinetic instead....came home that evening to see the planet ocean was still keeping time. :) So this morning I planned to wear it..Ok, I ended up wearing it..but the watch died! It started moving while I was driving ...but I thought this guy had a 44 hour reserve? Now I'm trying to reset the time....Can you guys tell me what position to do this in? Is my Main crown a screw down or a PULL-OUT crown? Does this watch need constant winding? I thought the seamaster automatics rarely have to be wound?

Thanks in advance.
The 44 hour power reserve is only when the watch is fully "charged." As for the crown, you need to unscrew it. After unscrewing, when you *gently* pull it out, once, that will permit you to change the date. Pulling crown once more will enable you to change time. Did you not receive an Omega manual with your watch?

Mike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the kind replies guys. Yes I did get the manual with the watch..but it's sitting at home and I didn't want to have to dig it out of the closet and I was pressed for time because I gotta rush to work.

The watch was already wound for me by our favorite AD. How do I get the crown out by unscrewing? I'm afraid to break it...is it clockwise or counter-clockwise to release the crown into OPERATION?

The helium escape valve was easy to unscrew..but the main crown seems soooo hard.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oops..well I unscrewed it..and wound it trying to hear it click...I wound it pretty fast (i hear mechanical noises ..wondering if that was the clicking)...so I just slowed down after about 55-60 and I heard the more pronounced slower clicks....Is there danger from over winding?

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
Dude, I know it is the typical man thing to immediately chunk the instructions (I'm guilty of this). Do yourself a favor and read them. That watch is too nice (and expensive) to mess up because you don't know how to work it. And no, you can't overwind it. - David

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
"When all else fails, read the instructions." ;-)

I've certainly been guilty of this. You made a big purchase. Allow yourself the time to properly acquaint yourself.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Not trying to be mean here, but you mean to tell us you just spent close to three grand on a watch not knowing that it :

a) has a screw in crown
b) has a manual wind feature
c) don't know that the watch has different positions for winding, set time, and set date?
d) that there is a manual with these answers in it?

:roll:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The watch was already wound for me by our favorite AD. How do I get the crown out by unscrewing? I'm afraid to break it...is it clockwise or counter-clockwise to release the crown into OPERATION?
Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

The helium escape valve was easy to unscrew..but the main crown seems soooo hard.
It would be if you are tightening it. Wow. Just wow.

Not to be too didactic here, but make sure you tighten BOTH crowns before you go underwater or jump in the shower. And yes, that would be clockwise (for both of them).

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
oops..well I unscrewed it..and wound it trying to hear it click...I wound it pretty fast (i hear mechanical noises ..wondering if that was the clicking)...so I just slowed down after about 55-60 and I heard the more pronounced slower clicks....Is there danger from over winding?
So, the watch works now right?

Great job!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The pronounced slower clicks are the mechanism that prevents over winding. When you hear that, stop turning the crown. Typically, this seems to happen about 100 turns from a "cold start" for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahaha you guys are funny. Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions.

It's funny you ask me because I actually did read the manual in its entirety the day that I received my package. I knew it had 3 positions...I just didn't remember when I posted this question while I was at my office (manual at home). And I didn't remember which direction to turn the crowns...and like you said..it's a $3G watch...I didn't want to take chances so I asked the experts...or I could have waited a few hours to go home and reread the manual.....I figured you'd guys would have the answer and I could have a working watch before I get home. :)

My biggest gripe about the manual is that it's hard to find my model/movement as they include instructions for many models in that manual...from simple models to chronographs, etc....

Anyways the watch is keeping its time so far...*crosses fingers*

thanks again, my fellow watch friends.|>

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Your movement (sounds a little strange doesn't it?) is a 2500 co-axial.

Enjoy the watch!

b-)

hahaha you guys are funny. Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions.

It's funny you ask me because I actually did read the manual in its entirety the day that I received my package. I knew it had 3 positions...I just didn't remember when I posted this question while I was at my office (manual at home). And I didn't remember which direction to turn the crowns...and like you said..it's a $3G watch...I didn't want to take chances so I asked the experts...or I could have waited a few hours to go home and reread the manual.....I figured you'd guys would have the answer and I could have a working watch before I get home. :)

My biggest gripe about the manual is that it's hard to find my model/movement as they include instructions for many models in that manual...from simple models to chronographs, etc....

Anyways the watch is keeping its time so far...*crosses fingers*

thanks again, my fellow watch friends.|>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts