WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I considered all four colorways and eventually chose white. After owning it for a month, I have absolutely no regrets. Why white? As rebes above mentions, the white dial tones down the laser-etched wave pattern in the dial. For me, that is more appealing because it is quite prominent in the black and blue variants. It’s already a very glitzy watch with the polished hands and glossy bezel insert. The white makes it all less flashy. Secondly, I love the high contrast between the pure white dial and pure black hands and pure black bezel. Combined with the excellent black rubber strap, this watch provides outstanding legibility in all lighting conditions.

I’d go ahead and order it from Jared and I’ll bet it comes in far sooner than 120 days. Somebody gave you a party line without doing much homework, it appears.

Finally, I have to say this watch is amazingly good.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hi guys,
I have been browsing the forums here for a while. This is my first time posting. I have an Omega 2265.50 that was given to me by my Father in law. I love this watch. It has huge sentimental value to me. I have worn it every day since it was given to me. After daily wear for close to 2 years, I had to take it in for service and a new battery. I have been thinking about purchasing a second watch to wear daily, to save the wear on my 2265. Looked at older speedmasters, new speedmasters. I've settled on the idea of purchasing a new Diver 300M. I just can't decide which variant I want. It is between the black dial, white dial, or the grey dial. Definitely the stainless bracelet either way. I am leaning toward the black dial. Probably because that is what is familiar to me.

I was at my AD yesterday browsing. I looked at both the black and the grey. The grey is better looking in person than any of the pictures i have seen. I do wish it was available with a black bezel and hands. I was hoping to see the white dial also, but I was told that it was only available by special order, and that it would take about 120 days for it to arrive.

120 days for a special order Omega doesn't seem unreasonable to me. But is there a reason that it wouldn't be a normal stock item? Is the white dial uncommon?
Opinions on these watches in general?

Easiest to read, most legible to me, is the white dial.

Regards
Louis

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
These are great watches so there's no right answer in terms of the dial variant to get. It will always boil down to what you prefer.

I personally went with the chrome dial for the same reason you stated. In person ot was the one that stood out the most as being unique and striking. The white was available along with the blue and black when I bought mine and white was my 2nd choice for the clean look. If you like the white I don't think you should be waiting 4 months for one. They should be available readily with other AD's for maybe even more than a 15% discount.

Unless of course you want to give the sale to the AD you have a relationship with which is ok too but in my opinion they should give you more than 15 off if there's 4 month wait time for a watch readily available elsewhere for the same price.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I struggled with this same choice. They did an excellent job with all of the dials for this model. I already had a black-dialed watch, so wanted something a bit different and eventually chose the gray after seeing it in person. The pics definitely don’t do it justice. The white is great as well, but looked a little “loud” to me, if that makes any sense. Still, I want a white-dialed watch in the future. Also, I think the white looks excellent on black rubber, but I’ve also gotta say I really like the bracelet on the Diver 300. Super comfortable, great micro adjustment, and I dig the look. Some say it looks a little too old school or dressy, but I really enjoy it.

Good luck with your choice and I do hope to see some pics of your new watch in a few months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you everyone for your humble opinions. I also appreciate everyone sharing pictures of their watches.

I'm going to have to spend some more time face to face with the options. The one thing that I do like about the grey and black is how defined the wave pattern is. I completely agree with the white dial being "loud". It is in no way an insult to those who prefer the white. I think that it does look great against the black rubber strap. I tried one on with the rubber strap. I really struggled with the buckle on the rubber strap. I wish the rubber strap would come with the deployant clasp, instead of the traditional buckle. But altogether I prefer the bracelet over the rubber.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thank you everyone for your humble opinions. I also appreciate everyone sharing pictures of their watches.

I'm going to have to spend some more time face to face with the options. The one thing that I do like about the grey and black is how defined the wave pattern is. I completely agree with the white dial being "loud". It is in no way an insult to those who prefer the white. I think that it does look great against the black rubber strap. I tried one on with the rubber strap. I really struggled with the buckle on the rubber strap. I wish the rubber strap would come with the deployant clasp, instead of the traditional buckle. But altogether I prefer the bracelet over the rubber.
I have the exact same thoughts regarding the rubber strap. Really wish it had a deployant clasp!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I understand that some people might appreciate the simplicity of the buckle. But it just seems so cheap for such a nice watch!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
looking at the Planet Ocean 2500 too now...
this is an amazing looking watch. I think I like it more than the diver 300M. I wonder if I could find one for a decent price with the full kit. But then buying a new diver 300M gives me a factory warranty.

the Planet ocean does look rather similar to the 2254...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I guess I’ll have to wait and see what is available, and what I can afford when I am ready to purchase. I think it’s between

and

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have owned two Planet Oceans (2500 and 8500) and it is my all-time favorite diver watch. I also own the Diver 300M as I posted above. The PO is much more oriented to diving with a bezel that is much easier to grip, larger hands full of Super-LumiNova, and greater water resistance. It’s also thicker and chunkier and heavier than the Diver 300M. I found the 45.5 mm 2500 XL watch I owned to be simply too heavy on the bracelet to wear comfortably. The 42 mm 8500 watch is more manageable, but both are heavier than the Diver 300M.

You can’t go wrong with either watch, but be mindful of the size and weight of the Planet Ocean.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I tried on a planet ocean a month or so ago. I hadn't really paid much attention to what specific model it was. But I do remember the case being exceptionally thick, as well as the watch being rather hefty. I definitely felt it on my wrist. It is just so good looking though! I don't have any intentions of taking up diving. So the extra depth rating and the bezel won't have any bearing on my decision.

EDIT: It was a planet ocean Chronograph that I had tried on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Continuing to look over all of these pictures. I love the knurled bezel of the PO, as well as the more trapezoidal indeces and broad arrow hands. I really love the laser cut wave pattern on the black dial. I am not crazy about the round indeces and skeletonized hands of the 300M, but I don't hate them.

Like others have said, you can't really go wrong with either watch. I think the sheer size and weight of the PO will definitely have a role in my decision here.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I understand that some people might appreciate the simplicity of the buckle. But it just seems so cheap for such a nice watch!
I dunno. Depending on the clasp and strap, deployant clasps can be uncomfortable, they aren't always as secure, and they can be expensive to replace if they break, etc. For me, 9 times out of 10, I'll take a pin buckle, especially on a rubber strap for a dive watch.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I struggled with this same choice. They did an excellent job with all of the dials for this model. I already had a black-dialed watch, so wanted something a bit different and eventually chose the gray after seeing it in person. The pics definitely don’t do it justice. The white is great as well, but looked a little “loud” to me, if that makes any sense. Still, I want a white-dialed watch in the future. Also, I think the white looks excellent on black rubber, but I’ve also gotta say I really like the bracelet on the Diver 300. Super comfortable, great micro adjustment, and I dig the look. Some say it looks a little too old school or dressy, but I really enjoy it.

Good luck with your choice and I do hope to see some pics of your new watch in a few months!

I just saw this version for the first time, in person, yesterday. Previously, the steel gray dial didn't appeal to me. I thought I'd return to a blue dial for this model if I purchase another Omega. However, seeing that dial in person, and how it changes with the light, I became increasingly more interested. Now I'd say this might actually top the blue dial for me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just saw this version for the first time, in person, yesterday. Previously, the steel gray dial didn't appeal to me. I thought I'd return to a blue dial for this model if I purchase another Omega. However, seeing that dial in person, and how it changes with the light, I became increasingly more interested. Now I'd say this might actually top the blue dial for me.
It was awesome in person, to me, when I saw it. I was initially interested in the blue dial as well, but personally, I didn’t like the blue dial with the red accents. It looked a little too “Captain America” to me. It’s a great dial, it just didn’t do it for me.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
J, relevant to your original post, I've posted this before but here goes in case it helps you (or anyone else)
One of my best mates bought the silver dial on bracelet maybe 18 months or so ago. He's not a watch guy he just wanted one nice watch to wear pretty much 24/7
Anyway I helped him through the whole process of looking on recon, ebay, the pitfalls/positives of each, searching online etc to help him decide what he actually wanted. He decided on an Omega and took a drive to a local mall here in Florida

An hour or so later he walked out with the watch, a BNIB silver dial on bracelet. I can absolutely say that it looks so much better in person than most of the pics that are available online

I would NOT have chosen that dial color myself, nor would I now (of course that's subjective and just my opinion) if I was buying one of these, but based on my own experience of realizing how much better it actually is in person you really should try and find all the variants in person to try them on before you buy/decide to buy one. It seems based on your purchase plans that you should be able to do this

Your later posts in this thread. I have an 8500 PO, stunning watch, but on the heavier side on the bracelet - usual caveat, try before you buy
PO 2500 most likely you'll be buying used, unless somehow you find one NOS. Lighter and obviously visually a little different to the 8500 but another great watch
2254 my longest owned watch (sans a few beater G's) imho one of the best all round dive watches ever made, but of course a much older design
The newer 8900's I've tried on in AD's but have no real time knowledge to pass on, other than they're a continuation of the brilliant Omega PO line
GL

Reactions: Lee_K

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
unfortunately I live in western NY state. Near Buffalo. The only Omega AD I can find near me is a Jared.

Edit: There is another dealer in Rochester, an hour and a half + away from me. They don't show any white dials available either though.
If your talking about Cornell's give them a call, they are awesome.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Once again, thank you everyone for your helpful posts.

I am not familiar with Cornell’s, but I’m sure I could call ahead and take a drive out to Rochester. I don’t think my wife would mind making an afternoon of it with me.

I am going to stop looking at them for a little while and then come back to see if anything strikes me differently.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I went with a PO2500 when I was looking for an Omega; never regretted it. You should be able to find a full set for less than the 300m pretty easily. They look quite different from the 2264 and wear differently; the 2500 models are also significantly thinner than the 8500 and 8900 PO models

21 - 40 of 59 Posts