WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Does anyone have pictures of the PO 2500 and 8500 side by side?
I really like the 2500, but think I might prefer the 8500 with the display back.

I am 6’ tall and ~250lbs I’m not sure a heavier bulkier watch will bother me too much.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I agonized over the colour choice of a SMP 300M earlier this year as well. Take a look at my thread, lots of advice and photos to show off the various colours in different lighting:

What it boiled down to (for me) was this:
  1. I really like the wave pattern on the dial. The white version, while attractive, makes the wave more subtle and stand out less. So the white was out.
  2. I like the idea of the Zr02 ceramic on the dial and bezel being perfectly colour matched, and fade resistant over time so it stays that colour. The grey & blue is attractive, but the dial and bezel don't match and the dial's PVD coating may fade over time. So the grey was out.
  3. The blue had the most initial Wow factor, but the black grew on me over time. Videos showing how well the inky black dial plays with light ended up selling it for me, as the blue just wasn't as dymanic under different lighting conditions.
Hope that helps!

Reactions: usmc_k9_vet

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm sorry everyone, I've been referring to my current watch by the incorrect reference. I have a 2264, not a 2265.
I am currently waiting for my watch to come back from service. When it is ready to be picked up I'll take that opportunity to browse the selection at Jared again. Hopefully they will have replenished their inventory by then.

As for now I am heavily leaning toward the 8900 Calibre Planet Ocean. It may come down to a function of price when I am ready to buy.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the PO 2500 and 8500 side by side?
I really like the 2500, but think I might prefer the 8500 with the display back.

I am 6’ tall and ~250lbs I’m not sure a heavier bulkier watch will bother me too much.
Video here. In person, the difference is very significant. The current PO is an 8900 so I found a video on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JHensley

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
If youre now considering a PO, try both of them on. I find the PO bracelet much more rigid than the SMP bracelet and the 2500 PO doesnt have the adjustable clasp which may be a consideration for you. Im still not sure about the design of the bracelet on the SMP but for comfort is pretty much perfect.

With regard to colour of SMP, I struggled with which model to go for and it came down to which looked best on both bracelet and rubber strap and for me it was the black. The white looks brilliant on the rubber but the bracelet seemed to tame that stunning polar white. My AD agreed and said it looked a bit C Ward which I wish he hadn't said as thats all I see now. The grey is another pretty stunning dial but I had a similar grey dial AT with blued hands etc and after a while the bracelet blended too much with the dial. As a fan of blue watches, my initial instinct was the blue but felt that the corresponding rubber strap looked TOO blue so it would have only been worn on bracelet. So I went with the black and im still wearing the hell out of it. Its pretty close to a GADA watch for me and the accuracy is incredible. The dial really pops in the light and goes from deep black to charcoal grey with. Photos here
which may or may not help...

·
Registered
529 Posts
There are just too many options.
Very true. Investing the time to figure out what you really want before buying will be worth it in the end, though.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'm not crazy about the black skeleton hands against the white dial, and the markers don't offer as much contrast just being outlined in black.

If the silver dial variant had a milled, or silver ceramic bezel- I probably would have bought that instead of my Seiko LX. As it is, though, I don't feel like it will age well.

Of the three, black is the easy answer for me. I was looking for something other than another black diver, but the videos of the ceramic dial certainly look like the watch would stand apart from other black dial watches I own or have owned.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
987 Posts
I like the new one in black when I was at the AD a few months ago, greys nice too but I'm good for now. Happy Hunting...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had the white dial on the Omega black rubber and I miss it. It is a strikingly handsome combo, lots of black and white contrast, and much lighter than on the bracelet. For me the skeletonized hands don’t have enough lume and this applies to the whole model line. In daylight the white and silver dial are my favorite of the bunch. SMP is much lighter and less bulky compared to PO.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had the white dial on the Omega black rubber and I miss it. It is a strikingly handsome combo, lots of black and white contrast, and much lighter than on the bracelet. For me the skeletonized hands don’t have enough lume and this applies to the whole model line. In daylight the white and silver dial are my favorite of the bunch. SMP is much lighter and less bulky compared to PO.
Agree with this regarding the lume. I love my Seamaster, but the lume on the hour and minute hands could be better. I wish it was solid, but that would change the iconic look of the hands during daylight hours.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I definitely prefer the looks of the Planet Oceans over the Diver 300M. I think it is all going to come down to what I can get the best deal on. I would prefer to buy brand new, if I can afford it. I definitely will not buy anything that is not a full set. If the PO 2500D came with a display back, and I could find one BNIB, that would be my pick. so my first pick is a PO 8900 in black with the bracelet. I think that is just a very classy looking design. I wish I could fast forward to January to put some money down and find my new watch. In the meantime I will keep my eye out for a deal that I can’t pass up.

Thanks to all of you who have posted opinions to help me make this decision.

·
Registered
462 Posts
unfortunately I live in western NY state. Near Buffalo. The only Omega AD I can find near me is a Jared.

Edit: There is another dealer in Rochester, an hour and a half + away from me. They don't show any white dials available either though.
I’m from the same area and I don’t bother going there. Last time I was there is was just a bunch of Constellations

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I'm hoping I can still pull this off come January, but it may have to wait a year. We just booked a Disney world trip for our anniversary / my Wife's birthday this October.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts