WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yup, you heard me! I said "plastic"!

Today, I picked up a vintage (70s) Q&Q (for those who don't know, Q&Q stands for quality and quantity lol, its/was part of CBM which is Citizen group) and they made "maintenance free" mechanical movements. How? By using plastic escapements. They are self lubricating, and use no oil. Cheap? Maybe, cool? Yes! Mine is a manual wind with a Swiss lever design. I thought for sure it would be pin lever. Winds smooth and keeps amazing time. So what do you guys think of this low tech, technology? I think it's pretty cool.

Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not a Q&Q but a tissot with the same idea. this has a LOT more plastic than mine tho

·
Registered
955 Posts
c01.211 is a swatch and tissot only movement it has plastic escapement and anchor and lots other parts wheels, bridges etc etc. but as you said its non repairable they exchange it if service needed.

G

·
c01.211 is a swatch and tissot only movement it has plastic escapement and anchor and lots other parts wheels, bridges etc etc. but as you said its non repairable they exchange it if service needed.
Many automatics from Swatch (diaphane, herakles, etc.) do indeed have a plastic anchor and/or escapement wheel. I suspect this "plastic" could be some PTFE or acetal, thus auto-lubricating in a way.
Auto Swatches are serviceable if needed: I did it recently on a Diaphane. The trickiest part is to carefully remove the plastic caseback without breaking it ! Those Swatch auto/chronos are very nice for their cheap price.

Your C01211 is derived from the LWC5100, which contained many plastic parts as well.
Lemania 1873/Omega 1861's blocking lever (on plain Speedmaster casebacks) is still made in acetal.

·
Registered
955 Posts
well about self lubricating

moebius made a special oil for lubricating the anchor of plastic,besides diaphanes not have plastic escapement just anchors, and yes it is a pain to open them without breaking it,
buuut did you know that their factory specifications is increased from +-20sec/day to +-45 sec/day which is unacceptable.

though i made some to 4 sec/day :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
not a Q&Q but a tissot with the same idea. this has a LOT more plastic than mine tho
Stratct - can you upload the picture. That path is to a local file on your computer.

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the parts in cheap quartz movements are plastic too. I need to take a look at the broken myota cheapie movement I have lying around somewhere. LOL - it wasn't broken until I started dismantling it before Christmas.

·
Registered
955 Posts
well if you want to see the picture just write c01.211 in google choose pictures and you will see lots of them.

br

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While looking at my watch. I noticed that it's a Q&Q 1603 movement and you can find it on "the metitechnical cabinet" it uses a Swiss lever design.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts